Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tower. IT'S GOT A CINEMA IN IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    People in work keep saying I must be on comission from Netflix with the amount I've been metioning it.

I signed up at launch. €6 a month is great value for watching as much as I want. I actually don't see the point in illegally downloading films which a lot of folk will archive to HDD or optical media.

Those people with about 9000 films or whatever on their drives, are you honestly going to watch all of them? I doubt it.

Anyway, straying OT. Sorry. Who's buying that last copy of The Tower? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I signed up at launch. €6 a month is great value for watching as much as I want. I actually don't see the point in illegally downloading films which a lot of folk will archive to HDD or optical media.

Those people with about 9000 films or whatever on their drives, are you honestly going to watch all of them? I doubt it.

Anyway, straying OT. Sorry. Who's buying that last copy of The Tower? :)

I've a HTPC with my entire dvd collection on it. It's a lot, & took a lot of work putting it all on there. But it's the single most bestest thing I own, having the whole collection there at the touch of a remote just walks all over rooting through discs, sitting through FBI warnings & all the other trailer nags etc.

They're all 1:1 rips too, no compression for me so it's running at near 6TB currently. I use it every single day, as it's not only films but episodic stuff too. So am I honestly going to watch everything on it? Yes, I probably will :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    So am I honestly going to watch everything on it? Yes, I probably will :D

Fair play. I'm on about folk that just download petabytes of stuff and don't watch it all. I suppose it could be related to collecting games too though I would assume the majority of folk reading these threads would play all the games they own surely?

Fair play. I'm on about folk that just download petabytes of stuff and don't watch it all. I suppose it could be related to collecting games too though I would assume the majority of folk reading these threads would play all the games they own surely?

Ah I see, as in like the people who like having six films on the one disc & say the quality is almost the same? Nah having a HTPC seperate, & running it purely as a HTPC means it's there when I want it & I'm constantly adding to it. It's similar to games as you mention, like why collect games if your not gonna play them? Same with films, why have PB worth of stuff like 'die.hard.6.dvdrip.megascenerelease' which is compressed so heavily it'd fit on a floppy disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ah I see, as in like the people who like having six films on the one disc & say the quality is almost the same? Nah having a HTPC seperate, & running it purely as a HTPC means it's there when I want it & I'm constantly adding to it. It's similar to games as you mention, like why collect games if your not gonna play them? Same with films, why have PB worth of stuff like 'die.hard.6.dvdrip.megascenerelease' which is compressed so heavily it'd fit on a floppy disc

Wait until you start doing that with bluray stuff. That fills up the hdd's pretty fast let me tell ya :D

Exactly. I've no issue with ripping stuff you bought lossless and archiving it. I'd do it myself, choose not to though. But downloading stacks of music, films and games and not playing any or many of them is just ridiculous.

Anyway, that's why I prefer Netflix etc. I pay a small fee, watch as much as I want and don't have to store any of it at home. Then, if there's something I really want to buy and keep, like a Blu Ray steelbook (or a Darius laserdisc :D) I buy those items and keep a nice collection of items that I genuinely want to buy and keep. :)

Anyway, The Tower, c'mon, who's buying the last one? :D

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sega-Saturn-TOWER-Mint-Import-JAPAN-sega-ss-/360257622424

Steve SI wrote: »
    Wait until you start doing that with bluray stuff. That fills up the hdd's pretty fast let me tell ya :D

I've already started replacing my own rips of the films I own, with the equivalent mkv's in 1080p...I'll be hitting Elara soon I think :p

Where does it say these are sealed actually Pyong?

I've already started replacing my own rips of the films I own, with the equivalent mkv's in 1080p...I'll be hitting Elara soon I think :p

Yeah, I meant 1:1 bluray copies.
    I've done a few but the codecs used in bluray are really crappy and wasteful so you can get your 30-50GB rip down to 10-15Gb with 0 loss when you use something like H.264 etc so thats what I do and stick it in a mkv container.

• Advertisement

Good point, I don't think that one is. But it has the SC-OCD and RC-OCD you crave according to the photo. :)

My copy I bought elsewhere is factory sealed (see 'i got new stuff' thread). I think sealed copies are on eBay though.

The first batch the lads bought were used and SC-OCD-less, I think. Hence the price.

Yeah, I meant 1:1 bluray copies.
    I've done a few but the codecs used in bluray are really crappy and wasteful so you can get your 30-50GB rip down to 10-15Gb with 0 loss when you use something like H.264 etc so thats what I do and stick it in a mkv container.

1:1 Bluray is very wasteful though. As you say, the exact same result can be gotten in a 10-15GB mkv container, so that's what I do. Thankfully a lot of these have specs you can check out beforehand, with bitrate information etc.

It's akin to Xbox360 games. Naughty Bear for example, I kid you not, is a 700MB game, sitting padded out to 7GB on a dual layer disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm happy to pay the 7 euro a month for the pure convenience. The net connection where I'm living can download shows and that pretty fast, but there's something nice about just turning on the tv and away it goes without any effort or browsing torrent sites.

The only down side so far is that I still have yet to figure out how to get the US version of Netflix going on my Wii.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gods damn it!
    I bought it!

I infected enough of you with a want for a Vectrex and some with a need for a VB or an AGS-101, I figured i might as well jump on the most cost effective band wagon going, particularly when there is talk of v. expensive Jamma habits doing the rounds and so far I am resisting spending the mortgage on those!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm happy to pay the 7 euro a month for the pure convenience. The net connection where I'm living can download shows and that pretty fast, but there's something nice about just turning on the tv and away it goes without any effort or browsing torrent sites.

The only down side so far is that I still have yet to figure out how to get the US version of Netflix going on my Wii.

Can you not just change the dns settings like in this link.
    http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291547

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Gods damn it!
    I bought it!

Haha! Excellent!

Pyong, I know it's not a shmup, but you need a blog entry about this :pac:
    Can you not just change the dns settings like in this link.
    http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291547

I gave that a go the other day alright, didn't work though :( I just get a connection error on the Wii.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Gods damn it!
    I bought it!

Absolutely hilarious! That's 7 copies sold to Ireland in 24 hours. Well done Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale!

I can see it now, everyone muttering "I love you, darling" in the style of the fella in the cinema on the game opening montage infecting households across Ireland next month. Suitable being Valentine and whatnot. :D

By the way, there is an inferior 3DO version too you know!

Hashtag #TheTower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Make that 8 copies

I hereby petition for the charter to be amended, making it mandatory to possess this game before being allowed to post here. Not because of the games brilliance, but because it's now a crazed new fad to own it.

Least this one costs less than a tener

Make that 8 copies

Link to the one you bought for 'verification purposes'. No backups allowed here! :pac:

• Advertisement

Link to the one you bought for 'verification purposes'. No backups allowed here! :pac:

:D:D

Your paperwork appears to be in order Mr. Burton.

4618f459-41e7-4146-a8f4-17bae7199886.jpg

Welcome to The Tower Club. :)

Not sure how many copies are left now as the price is climbing higher for some reason.

tumblr_lb7e4ceyC91qdoghio1_500.png

the price is climbing higher for some reason.

Without a doubt, the Pyong Effect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You're all crazy.

Without a doubt, the Pyong Effect

More like 8 copies of the thing, 7 from the same seller, selling out in the space of a day when the last copy they sold was in October 2011 effect! :)

Well I'm pretty sure I have mental things not quite right with me but....

IT'S GOT A CINEMA IN IT!!!!!!!!!

You're all crazy.

But, it's Japanese...isn't that auto-like? :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Know what else is Japanese?

Monster Hunter.

Game. Set. Match.

Know what else is Japanese?

Monster Hunter.

Game. Set. Match.

For €7?

...Monster thingy doesn't have a cinema in it. Or a cool little underground carpark and other stuff and things. :p

I spent my last 7 euro on a Blu-Ray of Sherlock when I was ordering Super Mario 3D Land.

I r weak when it comes to Amazon.

...Monster thingy doesn't have a cinema in it. Or a cool little underground carpark and other stuff and things. :p

Damned hipsters :D

13:7%20-%20Hipster.jpg

I spent my last 7 euro on a Blu-Ray of Sherlock when I was ordering Super Mario 3D Land.

I r weak when it comes to Amazon.

I r weak when it comes to cheap retro bandwagon things, will power simply goes out the window

The Darkness allowed you to sit down and watch the entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird with your girlfriend*. Good times.

*virtual

Looking at €15 now for a copy delivered (inc shipping). I wonder if Hit Japan will list more tomorrow? Anyone found any cheap copies I can put on the link in the first post.

Quick video of my first go on this thing.
    I wasn't sure how it worked at the start but I soon got to grips with it.

• Advertisement

We're you using a Saturn emu there? Looking good though, seems easy enough to get going. If in doubt, consult the English manual for Sim Tower, it's the same game, just made over. :)

seems easy enough to get going

O...k :o

O...k :o

Buyers remorse? :D

We're you using a Saturn emu there? Looking good though, seems easy enough to get going. If in doubt, consult the English manual for Sim Tower, it's the same game, just made over. :)

Yeah, it's an emulator.
    Delivery isnt that fast from Japanoland :D

Buyers remorse? :D

Not at all, to my eye from Steve's video it just doesn't look intuitive if you don't know what all the text & icons means. The english manual shall have to be consulted

Not at all, to my eye from Steve's video it just doesn't look intuitive if you don't know what all the text & icons means. The english manual shall have to be consulted

Good luck with that :)

P1680955.JPG
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TOWER-Game-Guide-Japanese-Book-Sega-Saturn-KB-/360359137128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e7140f68

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TOWER-Perfect-Game-Guide-Book-Sega-Saturn-3DO-SB-/220882272474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336d9c00da

• Advertisement

I can see Atavan being a very busy man, he speaks the language of the land of the rising sun doesn't he?

I can see Atavan being a very busy man, he speaks the language of the land of the rising sun doesn't he?

It's handy to know a little of the language.
    I had to learn the basics when I started going over regularly. I know just enough to order a bit of food and make it clear I'm not interested in any 12 year old school girls while on a night out. You know, the important basics :rolleyes:

I'd say atavan has a much better grasp of it than me as I think he's a mod on the Jap forum or Jap language forum here isnt he?

It's handy to know a little of the language.
    I had to learn the basics when I started going over regularly. I know just enough to order a bit of food and make it clear I'm not interested in any 12 year old school girls while on a night out. You know, the important basics :rolleyes:

I'd say atavan has a much better grasp of it than me as I think he's a mod on the Jap forum or Jap language forum here isnt he?

Yeah he mods the Jap culture forums afaik.

The title music is ridiculously catchy

Yeah he mods the Jap culture forums afaik.

The title music is ridiculously catchy

Yeah it is all right.
    Are you having a go on the emulator or are ya waiting for the disc. Now that you've bought it you can grab the ISO and play guilt free.
    If such things bother you that is :)

Edit:
    Also, is this Atavan:

you can grab the ISO and play guilt free.
    If such things bother you that is :)

I grabbed the iso, last time I looked at Saturn emulation it wasn't great. I have the system set up & ready to go, so why not use it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement