Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

balistol sucolin? anyone ever use it?

Options
  • 20-01-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I was picking up some ammo this evening and the rfd gave me this to try. Its in a green box that reads "silk tow for small bore rifles". I've never used it, but it's supposed to be good for cleaning. Have any of you ever used it, and if so how do you use it and is it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Balistol oil is pretty much a household name in any German hunters,shooters,fishermen, dog and horse owners equipment locker.
    Think its their centinery year this year [1912/2012]??

Its a very light sterile oil that can be used to lube surgical equipment,its that clean.Germans use it as a kind of cure all for anything fieldsport related.
    Lube the gun mechanism,oil the wood stock,treat light burns and sun and windburn,wasp stings,cuts on you or your critter,clean the dwags ears with it,clean your own too!:D,shine up your boots,shine up the hoss's hooves and coat,shine up the leather bits as well.Treat the dogs sore pads especially if they have been on salted roads in Winter,oil for the honing stone....Whatever,its been used for somthing that needed oiling or shining or sterilising.
    If it is the same stuff I'm thinking,you use it on a cleaning jag or patch holder instead of the patches.The jag is like a blunt screw that you wrap this around to get to correct bore size and you dont throw away after running thru.You simply unwind it and you have a fresh side when you rewind it on the jag.If that is the same stuff I'm thinking of.
    Anyway if it is Ballistol,it will be good.:cool:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cheers
    Griz, don't know about the oil but this stuff looks like long lengths me soft white candy floss. Very soft feel to it. I'll try it out and see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Sounds a bit like vaseline.

Advertisement