Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omniplex Crazy Prices

Options
  • 20-01-2012 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Went to Galway Omniplex last night to see a film. I'm not a regular cinema visitor, and when I do go I dont often pay the exorbitant prices for popcorn, sweets & drinks. However, last night I went a bit mad and bought a large popcorn and a bottle of water! Having already paid €8.60 for my ticket, I was then asked for €7.80 for the popcorn and water. The bottle of Riverock water was €2.80 alone. How can they possibly justify such outrageous prices, especially in the current climate? As it happened, the film I went to see had a very poor attendance. I'm not surprised seeing as people are being ripped off left, right and centre. Most businesses have had to acclimatise to the times we now live in by reducing prices. Why cant the cinemas do the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Something like 90% of the price of your ticket goes straight to the movie distributor, meaning the cinema makes pretty much no money at all from your ticket. They have to make money somewhere, food in the cinema have always been high. In fact from what I've heard, the popcorn box costs more than the popcorn:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I only ever got to the movies in the afternoon and always bring my own food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

livin up to ur name Jonjo!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I only ever got to the movies in the afternoon and always bring my own food.

Were you that guy in the matinee of Tintin rustling the McDonald's bag as the greasy stench wafted over everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ara Musha wrote: »
    Went to Galway Omniplex last night to see a film. I'm not a regular cinema visitor, and when I do go I dont often pay the exorbitant prices for popcorn, sweets & drinks. However, last night I went a bit mad and bought a large popcorn and a bottle of water! Having already paid €8.60 for my ticket, I was then asked for €7.80 for the popcorn and water. The bottle of Riverock water was €2.80 alone. How can they possibly justify such outrageous prices, especially in the current climate? As it happened, the film I went to see had a very poor attendance. I'm not surprised seeing as people are being ripped off left, right and centre. Most businesses have had to acclimatise to the times we now live in by reducing prices. Why cant the cinemas do the same?
    Its always been that way, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

what did you see?

Were you that guy in the matinee of Tintin rustling the McDonald's bag as the greasy stench wafted over everybody?

No sorry havent been to the movies in about a year. And if i was i would not be eating mcdonalds thats for sure.
    Usually bring my own homemade rolls and get some crisps and sweets in Aldi beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Ara Musha wrote: »
    How can they possibly justify such outrageous prices, especially in the current climate?

Because people hand over their money!

worked in the omniplex for a time years ago and yes what has been said previously is true, the cinemas make their money on the concession stand, not on the movie ticket. Its the studios that make the money on the tickets although I think the cinemas share is more than 10%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

@Jonjo :D:D ...legend!

• Advertisement

FlashD wrote: »
    @Jonjo :D:D ...legend!

Why thank you sir:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Bernard: Excuse me, there seems to be some mistake. I bought a drink and some popcorn and now I have no money?
    Cashier: That's how much it costs.
    Bernard: What is it, magic popcorn? Does it produce some kind of dizzying high?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I would often bring my 4 children to the kids cineclub when they were a little younger.
    I think it was 7e total for us all for the ticket in and I'd bring Aldi/Lidl cola cans, sweets and crisps costing about 6e.....

No way I'd be able to afford the cola, popcorn prices the cinema charges:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Let us know what the cinema managment have to say in response to your sternly worded letter. Make sure to have included that you could see the price of the product before purchase and you decided to pay the price requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Sir, if you'd just quiet down, I'd be happy to treat you to a garbage bag full of popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Tell us more about the film!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Messerschmitt

I bring a bag of crisps from Tesco, and then before the film starts I put them in a tupperware container so as not to make noise with the bag. If I need a re-fill I wait until the movie gets really loud so nobody hears me. I pay the student price so I do often buy a coke, although I'd much rather have tea :D

I personally like the Galway Omniplex. I go during the day if I have a few hours off from Uni so it's nice and quiet, theres only about 5 people in any movie. They seem to be easy going. The last few times I was in the Eye it felt like going through an airport, they didn't want me bringing in anything I hadn't bought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

never purhcase from the cinema shops. Bring your own stuff. Well, of course you CAN purchase from the cinema if you want to be ripped off. Your choice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 meatboy

@ Ara Musha : Consider yourselves lucky in comparison to the Eye cinema where no food is allowed, I like going to the Omniplex personally. The cinema is a chain unlike the eye, the prices are set all over the country. The prices from what I remember where the same if not similar before the "economic crisis". If you dont like it, dont pay, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i dont know what youre complaining about. thats bargain pricing youre getting there. i paid 10.95 for a ticket in dublin tonight and then its another tenner for pop/drink.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Without meaning to be rude to OP, it's an idiot-tax. Like a TV license. You can choose to pay it, or you can just bring your own food with you.

People's attitude toward the cinema can be odd anyway. As if sitting still and not eating for 2 hours terrifies them. Don't forget to get dressed up too, can't go sitting in darkness without make-up now can we!

In regards to the Eye, last time I went I brought a can of beer and a tub of Celebrations, nae bother.

Without meaning to be rude to OP, it's an idiot-tax. Like a TV license. You can choose to pay it, or you can just bring your own food with you.

People's attitude toward the cinema can be odd anyway. As if sitting still and not eating for 2 hours terrifies them. Don't forget to get dressed up too, can't go sitting in darkness without make-up now can we!

In regards to the Eye, last time I went I brought a can of beer and a tub of Celebrations, nae bother.
    Peein' in the back of taxis, cans in the cinema, Christ!!!! As much as people cant go a couple of hours without eating can you not see the irony in not drinking then no???

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

The bottle of Riverock water was €2.80 alone.

Riverrock is just tap water too, bottled by Coca Cola. It's not mineral water, spring water, or anything special. In Britain it was called Dasani, and was eventually taken off the market after people kicked up a fuss about being sold water from the mains supply.

You could ask for a glass of tap water and it would be exactly the same stuff, except for the price.

Correct but would you really expect people who buy bottled water to know any better anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Peein' in the back of taxis, cans in the cinema, Christ!!!! As much as people cant go a couple of hours without eating can you not see the irony in not drinking then no???
    Are you literally trying to infer that drinking a lone can of lager while watching a film is in any way antisocial or bad?

And there is no irony. I can go 2 hours without drinking too. I'm not on here complaining about the price of beer in the cinema, because it is something easily solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Really, I look at the cinema in terms of what it offers overall, rather then the pricing of their popcorn. It ends up costing me about 15 euro in total, and yes, price points on food are ludicrous, especially popcorn considering they can make a bin bag full for about 20c, but on the whole, if I pay 15 euro for 90-120 minutes of good entertainment, I can completely live with that and even find a bit of value in it. If food prices went down, ticket prices would have to go up - that's how cinemas primarily make their money, on food costs.

Not really much of a valid argument. I simply enjoy popcorn at the cinema. You could extend that to virtually every argument outside of the home. As if going out for a meal and not having wine/pub and not drinking/and so on terrifies people. It's just part of the enjoyment for most people. Yeah I could smuggle in half a rack of lamb and 3 litres of country spring cola but to be honest, 9 times out of 10 I just want cinema popcorn and a pepsi.

Are you literally trying to infer that drinking a lone can of lager while watching a film is in any way antisocial or bad?

And there is no irony. I can go 2 hours without drinking too. I'm not on here complaining about the price of beer in the cinema, because it is something easily solved.
    I personally just find it odd to be drinking in the cinema and would tend to categorise that person into a certain social standing in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I personally just find it odd to be drinking in the cinema and would tend to categorise that person into a certain social standing in my head.

Is it any different to sitting in on a Friday evening watching a film and maybe having a glass of wine or a can?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah thats bs about not letting stuff into the eye. Ive brought my own stuff in there loads of times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

long live torrents

Advertisement