Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omniplex Crazy Prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I would consider myself quite the miser but the cinema is one of those places where I park my miserliness. The difference between the cinema and other businesses is that you KNOW you are being ripped off. I choose to pay €8 for a popcorn and coke that should only cost about €1 because its just part of the experience. I download music, but not films because I like the experience of watching it in the cinema as it was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 uSmellLikeSoup

yes, price points on food are ludicrous, especially popcorn considering they can make a bin bag full for about 20c,

Bit of an exaggeration there!

Anyway, all the prices are displayed above the shop, so if you checked it, and bought knowing the price beforehand, then you wouldn't really be ripped off, would you OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

All this talk of the cinema, i must go this week, havent been inn ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

I download movies and watch them on my laptop in the cinema.

That shows them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Asmodean wrote: »
    Yeah thats bs about not letting stuff into the eye. Ive brought my own stuff in there loads of times!

I've been asked to check in my backpack more than once in the Eye while ladies walked in with handbags much bigger walked right on in.

I took it up with them and they couldn't justify it or explain it. Literally, as I was having a discussion with the staff member there a woman with a large handbag breezed on in.

They said it was for health and safety so I said what about the women and their handbags. Just got a shrug of the shoulders.

It's a load of bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bit of an exaggeration there!

Anyway, all the prices are displayed above the shop, so if you checked it, and bought knowing the price beforehand, then you wouldn't really be ripped off, would you OP?

Actually, my girlfriend used to work in a cinema. Without naming names, I had 100% access to it for several years, and maybe you don't realise, but big cinema chains often have several - and by several I mean maybe 20 at busy times - of transparent rubbish bags filled with popcorn ready to be poured into the 'kernel popper' of the front display. That whole implication, of freshly popped corn, is a total fabrication. The popcorn is not fresh, by any means, but it stills tastes good and it doesn't bother me to be honest. I actually have picture of my girlfriend lying around like a king atop a throne of about 30 popcorn filled bags.

So yeah, bit of an exaggeration, sorry.

I actually have picture of my girlfriend lying around like a king atop a throne of about 30 popcorn filled bags.

These pictures...

Could you be persuaded to post them here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I personally just find it odd to be drinking in the cinema and would tend to categorise that person into a certain social standing in my head.
    Maybe you just aren't old enough to realise it's possible to have a few drinks without getting pissed?

If I had a choice between guzzling a litre of fizzy drink rammed full of sugar and caffeine, or relaxing with a beer while watching a film, I'd go for the latter.

Which 'social standing' (dear god..) would you categorise a middle aged couple having a few glasses of champagne whilst at the theatre in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I personally just find it odd to be drinking in the cinema and would tend to categorise that person into a certain social standing in my head.

the eye cinema sells alcohol for the upmarket seats. you can sit there and watch the movie with a glass of vino.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Lots of cinemas in Europe, Spain, for example, sell beer. People need to get away from the notion of getting pissed just because they can.

• Advertisement

the eye cinema sells alcohol for the upmarket seats. you can sit there and watch the movie with a glass of vino.

What upmarket seats? There are none.

The Cool wrote: »
    Lots of cinemas in Europe, Spain, for example, sell beer. People need to get away from the notion of getting pissed just because they can.

True that. In Berlin, you'll often see people walk around with a beer on the street. Even young lads. But that's the thing, it's one beer, not a plastic bag full with 12 cans of Dutch and pack of Johnny Blue.

Thus, it doesn't look as knackery as it's nice to just sip a beer for the taste and general unwinding, feel-good factor as opposed to getting rat-arsed and puking on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

You can bring drink from the bar into any screen in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Riverrock is just tap water too, bottled by Coca Cola. It's not mineral water, spring water, or anything special. In Britain it was called Dasani, and was eventually taken off the market after people kicked up a fuss about being sold water from the mains supply.

You could ask for a glass of tap water and it would be exactly the same stuff, except for the price.

Riverrock may be tap water but I'm sure it's not Galway tap water. You can smell that from a mile away, the chlorine wafting in your face.

Haven't drank the tap water here (unfiltered) since I came here, even before the crypto thing. I hate the taste of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

kraggy wrote: »
    What upmarket seats? There are none.

I think he means the luxury screen (7) ?

I've never seen any alcohol being sold there though... Although they do sell it at the bar outside the arthouse cinema in the back.

Edit: Sorry I should have merged with my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

You can bring drink from the bar into any screen in there.

that could be true, but I've only been a couple time to the "upmarket" or "luxury" seats and thought it was only there you could bring the wine into - apologies.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

that could be true, but I've only been a couple time to the "upmarket" or "luxury" seats and thought it was only there you could bring the wine into - apologies.:cool:

No need for apologies :D You can though, have seen lots of people in there over the years having wine/beer in different screens.

Riverrock may be tap water but I'm sure it's not Galway tap water. You can smell that from a mile away, the chlorine wafting in your face.

Haven't drank the tap water here (unfiltered) since I came here, even before the crypto thing. I hate the taste of it.

Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I notice that not 1 person mentioned all the calories that are in a large popcorn which is about 1100
    i don't know how much is in coke or nachos but im sure its high. just something to remember the next time your going to cinema and eating junk.
    my advice is just go for the healthy option and eat fruit like the Eastern Europeans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

SIX PACK wrote: »
    I notice that not 1 person mentioned all the calories that are in a large popcorn which is about 1100
    i don't know how much is in coke or nachos but im sure its high. just something to remember the next time your going to cinema and eating junk.
    my advice is just go for the healthy option and eat fruit like the Eastern Europeans
    Or you could just do some exercise, that way you can enjoy whatever food you want and not be a fatty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Or you could just do some exercise, that way you can enjoy whatever food you want and not be a fatty.

Well technically yes, but 1100 calories is a hell of a lot of exercise so he still has a valid point. It's easier to be wiser about what/how much you eat and to couple that with exercise. It is nice to pig out every now and again of course :D

Advertisement