Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build

Options
  • 20-01-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks,

I'm a new user so hope im in the right place!?
    Building a 3200 sq ft house, 1.5 story (2000 downstairs). Obtaining quotes ATM, direct labour/part build is the preferred route. Have been quoted €30,000 labour for basically green field to roof level, covers pouring foundations, plumbing (not UF) radon barrier, all block work. Will have to get groundsman to clear site and dig foundations but this will be overseen as part of price.
    Can anyone tell me what they think of price?.please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What county are you in? Sounds like a silly question but prices do vary around the country.

Given the fact that labour costs have taken a bit of a tumble it seems a bit high to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Corporal

It's in Wicklow. Builder will travel down from Dublin and included €3000 for diesel and toll. I have more details from his written quote which I'll post later on. Some of it is alien to me but will make more sense to someone in the know and give you a better idea of what exactly I'm paying for.
    Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darkest knight

where in wicklow?

Middle of nowhere really, close enough to ashford.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

where in wicklow?
    How is that relevant to the topic?

• Advertisement

That's what I thought to be honest. Further to earlier post, quote covers marking out site, managing site, all block work, pouring foundations and floors, fitting posts for balcony on second floor and some mention of something to do with sills which to be honest I don't understand.
    Still seem quite high? Wondering also how much blocs will cost, I know it can vary greatly from site to site but based on house size do you have a rough idea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 SBA

I have just completed an Estimate on a 2450sqft house and the following was the outcome:

All Substructure incl ground 150 thk floor slab with 100mm thick Insulation, radon barrier and screed works (apart from excavation works) came to approx €5,600

All External 350 cavity blockwork up to roof level including cills and heads plus Internal walls to the ground floor (1st flr was partition) plus intermediate precast slab amounted to approx € 13,500

Therefore total for works up to roof level amounted to approx € 19,100. The house was 2450 sqft which equates to € 7.80 per sqft. 3200 x € 7.80 = € 24,960 (Plus VAT)

So, it looks like your builders price might be a little on the high side but bear in mind if he is over seeing other tradesmens work he will need to be paid for this.

In addition the supply of tradesmen outweighs the demand at the moment so I wouldn't be entertaining the builders travel and toll charges - this is a thing of the past!

Hope this helps!

Thanks a million. I've seen work this man has done and by his own admission he is a little slower than some but previous testimonies all indicate his work is excellent so the extra 3k might be worth it. He also looks after pipe works for storm and waste water but I'll still need a plumber, I think?!? Your price guide is helpful but just to clarify this quote is solely for labour. Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 SBA

Yes 100% labour only. Excl. all excavation works (as you stated these works would be carried out by somebody else). Atleast you now know you could negotiate the price with him?, you might be able to save a grand or two (a nice few bob to use to put towards your furniture!)

True. Thanks a million for your help and the pm info, I'll do as you recommended. I'll be in touch with future queries no doubt. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

So, it looks like your builders price might be a little on the high side but bear in mind if he is over seeing other tradesmens work he will need to be paid for this.

In addition the supply of tradesmen outweighs the demand at the moment so I wouldn't be entertaining the builders travel and toll charges - this is a thing of the past!

Hope this helps!

Diesel is free in this country is it? Wish I knew where to get it!!!!Preliminaries such as fuel, overheads, insurance and other business expenses all have to be accounted for.
    To the OP, I would advise you to get more quotes to compare like for like. Or get a professional involved if needs be, especially if you dont understand certain details. Without seeing drawings and specifications, I dont think anybody here can qualify themselves to comment on whether or not your quotation is too high or low. There is no such thing as a definitive ''price per square foot'' despite what you may read here. No two houses are the same so a ''sq ft'' price does not exist.
    The other thing I would advise you to do is get a building contract in place before any work starts and make sure a detailed specification is included. A house is probably the most expensive thing you will ever pay for so you want to get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

Prelims at the moment is about 7%. during boom 10 - 15%.Is he providing his insurance cover. This is part of the builders prelims also.Supervision fees are usually an additional fee.
    You would probably be better adviced to employ a qs and have a scope of works and costings provided to you. Then put out the scope to tender.If the builder that has quoted you already is the one you want to do the work.Then if the other tenders are cheaper you are open to negotiations with him and at least you have a written scope to work off and no nasty unexpected hidden extras at a later stage.The qs fees will pay for themselfs over the term of the project.Best to go this route if you are not using your own project manager and employing a builder direct and as the previous op stated also have a contract in place.(with time scales ect) Also as the other op stated sometimes prices can not be provided per sq foot. It may have to be done on a time scale.however your qs will advice you of this.

Advertisement