Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for difficult performance review

Options
  • 21-01-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've an annual performance review coming up soon and I was wondering if anyone has any advice ?

I expect it to be difficult as

Don't have much day-to-day contact with boss.
    Higher managers are keen to make reviews more objective this year - before most people just got same mark.
    Didn't really do much last year , was much busier prev year.

I'm afraid I will just agree to a lower mark , get the meeting over, and then be really pissed off with myself.

Any advice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

At the end of the meeting you'll be asked to sign it. Now this might be a paper form or electronically signing it

Either way, just take your time, you don't have to sign it on the spot

Say you're going to review it and come back later that week and then you go line by line through it and figure out what you want to say

Maybe they didn't recognize something you did and you want that included. :)

Even if you agree with some of the criticism then at least you can go back and ask for more details.
    "You say I don't deal with enough queries per day, what's the standard?"
    Then next year you'll say hey I met your standard so no way can you tell me it's unacceptable

You need to be calm and clinical here, an appraisal is never the place to vent frustration.
    Doesn't matter that your teammate is an alchoholic and always late and you suspect your other teammate has a drug problem. :p
    It's your appraisal so talk about you

No point sitting there getting pissed off, the boss giving you incorrect feedback so you don't know where you stand and you leave feeling unsure if you're brilliant or useless.
    Managers can be wizards with confusing terms and damming with faint praise, a modern scourge and lack of plain speaking.

It's a two way process, if you have something to say then it's up to you to say it.

Advertisement