Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Dog Fence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

andreac wrote: »
    A dog running into a wall?? I have never seen a dog do that...:rolleyes:

My friend's dog died when she ran into one of their boundary walls. She hit the wall and was dead in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I trained my dogs properly to the fence, I took the 2 weeks like the manual said and it still didn't work for most of my dogs. 2 continued to escape, and 1 shut down the minute the collar was put on her.

I guess you didn't read my post, I did train them properly, exactly how it said on the manual but for 1 dog wandering was just too big an incentive, for another the sight of people passing by the end of the drive way was enough of an incentive to come out barking at them.
    The problem is that people put them on and expect them to work automatically but the dog needs to be trained on a lead to get used to the boundaries. If it's done properly and patiently then they work fine. They will only get a shock in training (usually once) and from then on they only hear warning beaps so never get shocked again.

IT'S NOT A GUARANTEED SYSTEM!!!! Even with the correct and proper training, dogs do deliberatly shock themselves to get out and you do get breaks in the wire or power failures, wireless systems don't suit every garden shape, it wouldnt have suited mine. I know it works fine for a lot of people, but for an equal number of people it doesnt work, and training has nothing to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'll just jump in here and say that regardless of whether or not you agree with this kind of fencing (I don't), everyone agrees that a pup is far too young for this. So the overall consensus is don't even think about it, until the dog is at least 6 months old, or not at all. And if you can manage without it for 6 months, why bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

A friend of ours had one of these and their dog turned violent!

Basically anytime the dog got a shock he attacked the nearest person and seemed to assume they'd somehow caused it.

He then started attacking the air anywhere near the fence line.

I don't think these are a particularly good solution. Electric fences keep cattle in because cows are quite passive, slow moving creatures. Dogs are intelligent, active hunters!

Their reaction to a threat can be a response with serious levels of violence and biting.

what happens if a kid is playing with your dog and it gets shocked and the dog attacks them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'll just jump in here and say that regardless of whether or not you agree with this kind of fencing (I don't), everyone agrees that a pup is far too young for this. So the overall consensus is don't even think about it, until the dog is at least 6 months old, or not at all. And if you can manage without it for 6 months, why bother?

Exactly. You will have to fence the pup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

Discodog wrote: »
    A secure fence is an option for everyone

No it's not. Everyone's situation is different and there are many factors other than cost. At the end of the day, if a dog is extremely happy in his/her home while wearing a collar and never gets shocked (after the initial one in training) and is also perfectly safe then it is better off than being caged up in a pound with a lottery chance of finding a good home. To say otherwise is simply pig ignorance.

If a dog turns violent from wearing a collar? Stop immediately!!! It's not rocket science people. Use some common sense! It may not work for everyone. I can see that if you are totally against it then I'm not going to convince you otherwise but please be assured that my dog is extremely happy and safe in a good home.

No it's not. Everyone's situation is different and there are many factors other than cost.

What other factors ? Most houses have a back door & a patio, deck & garden. There will usually be an obvious "line" for the fencing. All it needs is some posts, rails & wire fencing. It's a great way of containing young children as well.

One other factor to bear in mind is theft of your dog. It is so easy for anyone to walk up your drive & just remove the dog's collar.

The "TV" vet Joe Inglis did a feature on shock collars on the BBC. The manufacturer complained & lost. Joe said:

"And I am very happy to reiterate my view that electric shock collars are dangerous, unnecessary and should be banned everywhere"

http://joethevet.co.uk/?p=64

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yes. My husband always tested the intensity before we put it up and when he screamed while holding it at a little over half way up the scale we stopped using it.
    I have also tested it. I was nowhere near screaming. Hyperbole will not help you get your point across.
    And then there's the day she got her collar caught on the branches of a tree within the shock zone, her screams brought me running out of the house, thank God I hadn't left for work.
    What relevance does this have? Your dog had its collar caught in a tree.
    Alot of people who own these fences and test it on themselves do so before they put it on the dog for the very first time on the lowest setting but not again. I'd love for them to take the collar off the dog when it's at an intensity setting that keeps the dog in the garden in a few.months time and put it on their own neck then, I bet they'd be in pain.

Hyperbole. Link to the statistics that back up your claim of "alot".
    "I bet they'd be in pain." This is not fact.
    I trained my dogs properly to the fence, I took the 2 weeks like the manual said and it still didn't work for most of my dogs. 2 continued to escape, and 1 shut down the minute the collar was put on her.

Your dogs were not trained properly by the very definition of the word from what you describe here.
    Of course you're going to know of people who think the collar is great but they can be really really limited, success depends on your dogs personality, how open your property boundaries are naturally, what temptations are within eyesight of your dog. You've heard from a couple of people here who had the fence system, trained their dogs properly and still had nothing but hassle with breaks in the line and escaping dogs so went back to traditional fencing.

The success is down to how you train your dog, much like every thing else.

If securely fencing an area for your dog is not an option, then you shouldnt get a dog in the first place.
    Your definition of what is secure is different to other peoples, and it is not your decision to make as to who is allowed a dog.
    Electric shock collars are an easy, cruel (for the poor dog) way out for the owner and of course, as usual, its the dogs that suffer because the owner cant do the responsible thing:mad:
    Thats your opinion. It is not fact.
    People just want quick, cheap and easy fixes and not whats best for the dog.
    They want whats easier and cheaper for them to sort, and shocking a dog
    around its neck seems to be a common method and solution for irresponsible owners. Its disgraceful. These collars are actually banned in Wales, does that not count for something??

The two are not mutually exclusive - you can get something that is cheap, easy and best for the dog. Not getting nailed by a car is a pretty good thing for the dog.

So what if these are banned in wales? Have you actually looked at the reasoning for the ban?
    I honestly do wonder and ive said it before, how a dog owner can do this to their beloved pet, i really do.... :(
    Not all dog owner pretend their dogs are people.
    This is not true in the slightest.
    The chances of escape are many times higher with an electronic fence than a real one
    I would be interested to see the research on this.
    But there is every possibility that they will be made illegal in the Animal Welfare Bill as they have in Wales.
    There is the possibilty that that bill will be repealed also. A lot of things are possible, lets stick to what is actually the case though.
    Solair wrote: »
    A friend of ours had one of these and their dog turned violent!
    Oh please.

The OP asked for advice on these systems. He/she didn't ask for guesswork and blatant lies. Its fine if you dislike these systems, just don't make ridiculous statements like "The name says it all "shock" collar." <-- they aren't called shock collars :/

A measured and thought out post will garner more positive responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Runawaybishop, please point out where i said dogs are people??:confused:

Dogs are living creatures that feel pain, so i would never, ever inflict pain intentionally on my dogs by shocking them with an electric shock because i cant be bothered to fence my garden to keep it in.

Secure fencing is an option for everyone, whether it be fencing with wooden fencing or building a dog run in an area of the garden, how would it not be an option, please explain that to me?

The OP asked for advice on these systems. He/she didn't ask for guesswork and blatant lies

I'd like you to point out the blatant lies

• Advertisement

Runawaybishop, please point out where i said dogs are people??:confused:

Dogs are living creatures that feel pain, so i would never, ever inflict pain intentionally on my dogs by shocking them with an electric shock because i cant be bothered to fence my garden to keep it in.

Secure fencing is an option for everyone, whether it be fencing with wooden fencing or building a dog run in an area of the garden, how would it not be an option, please explain that to me?

I must apologise, you did not say dogs were people in this thread.

Indeed, dogs are living creatures. That does not mean that a collar such as this is cruel. Animals use corrections that involve physical contact and pain all the time.

Secure fencing, like suggested in this thread, is only an option if you can afford it. Therefore it is not a reasonable option for everyone.
    I'd like you to point out the blatant lies

I have already addressed most of the points i felt needed addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I must apologise, you did not say dogs were people in this thread.

Indeed, dogs are living creatures. That does not mean that a collar such as this is cruel. Animals use corrections that involve physical contact and pain all the time.

Secure fencing, like suggested in this thread, is only an option if you can afford it. Therefore it is not a reasonable option for everyone.

If you cant afford it and its not an option as you say, then a dog should not be an option either.

If you cant afford it and its not an option as you say, then a dog should not be an option either.

You do not decide who can own a dog, who do you think you are?

Nor do you decide what is appropriate when it comes to fencing a dog in. Fences like the OP is enquiring about have been shown to work. Whyever do you think you have the right to demand they fork out thousands on a fence?

Yes. My husband always tested the intensity before we put it up and when he screamed while holding it at a little over half way up the scale we stopped using it.

I have also tested it. I was nowhere near screaming. Hyperbole will not help you get your point across.

Exactly why is this hyperbole?
    And then there's the day she got her collar caught on the branches of a tree within the shock zone

What relevance does this have? Your dog had its collar caught in a tree.

The point is that she got her collar caught in the shock zone, so the collar repeatedly shocked her, dangerous situation

Your dogs were not trained properly by the very definition of the word from what you describe here.

Yes they were properly trained, the training does not take into account the determination of the individual dogs, failure in the line meaning that the dog learns when they can cross the barrier, they are not guaranteed or in anyway as secure as a proper fence. They are not a fail safe solution for every dog and by the time you discover they don't work for your dog you've already spent between €200 and €500 which could have bought a secure run for the dog

So basically you're going to insinuate people are liars without having the guts to say it to their face? Nice

In the link that I provided the Vet described experiencing the shock, live on TV, as a "very unpleasant experience"
    So what if these are banned in wales? Have you actually looked at the reasoning for the ban?

The Kennel Club conducted a survey & 70% of respondents disapproved of their use. The ban has been welcomed by the RSPCA, Dogs Trust, Blue Cross etc. Someone has already received a £2000 fine for using a shock collar.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2703

Elin Jones Welsh Minister for Rural Affairs who laid the Bill before parliament:

"I am now of the view that the use of electric shock collars should be banned in Wales. They are considered to conflict with positive reward based training in that the “action” of triggering an electric stimulus is not necessarily directly associated with the behaviour change sought. Further, the science to date suggests that the use of these collars adversely affects the behaviour of animals and, in untrained hands, could cause pain or distress."

They also conducted three reviews before deciding on legislation.

http://wales.gov.uk/about/cabinet/cabinetstatements/2010/100224shock/?lang=en
    I would be interested to see the research on this.

It is common sense. A dog can only breach a proper fence if it is not adequately constructed. An electronic fence can fail for many reasons. To name but a few:

Power cuts
    Broken boundary wire
    Collar too loose
    Faulty collar electronics
    Faulty base electronics
    Flat battery
    Dog ignores the shock
    There is the possibilty that that bill will be repealed also. A lot of things are possible, lets stick to what is actually the case though.

The case is that Vets, Animal Welfare organisations, SPCA's, Kennel Clubs, Dog Trainers etc oppose shock collars.

http://bit.ly/tlTn7H
    The point is that she got her collar caught in the shock zone, so the collar repeatedly shocked her, dangerous situation
    The point is the dog got a collar caught. The type is not relevant.
    Yes they were properly trained, the training does not take into account the determination of the individual dogs, failure in the line meaning that the dog learns when they can cross the barrier, they are not guaranteed or in anyway as secure as a proper fence. They are not a fail safe solution for every dog and by the time you discover they don't work for your dog you've already spent between €200 and €500 which could have bought a secure run for the dog

Proper training means that your dog wont approach the fence and will never proceed past the audible warning anyway. There is a huge difference between 500 euro and 80

In the link that I provided the Vet described experiencing the shock, live on TV, as a "very unpleasant experience"
    I could make a youtube video of me describing the collar as lovely and exciting. Test it for yourself rather than going by an overreaction from someone trying to boost his profile.
    The Kennel Club conducted a survey & 70% of respondents disapproved of their use. The ban has been welcomed by the RSPCA, Dogs Trust, Blue Cross etc. Someone has already received a £2000 fine for using a shock collar.
    I'm not really interested in what people "think" - I am interested in studies carried out by people who know what they are talking about.
    It is common sense. A dog can only breach a proper fence if it is not adequately constructed. An electronic fence can fail for many reasons. To name but a few:
    You stated - "The chances of escape are many times higher with an electronic fence than a real one". You have no proof for this, nor have you provided any actual evidence.
    The case is that Vets, Animal Welfare organisations, SPCA's, Kennel Clubs, Dog Trainers etc oppose shock collars.
    And i can find people that use and approve of them and remote training collars also.

No, the point is that because the dog got stuck, it was shocked repeatedly until someone freed it. If it were a regular collar, she'd just be stuck, not getting electrocuted in the process. Of course the type of collar is relevant, jeez.

Instead of posting a sarcastic link to the google definition of a word why don't you post some real links ? I have given many from valid sources who oppose shock collars.

Why don't you do the same for those that support their use other than links to the manufacturers or retailers that sell them ?

You are accusing people of lying & misrepresentation but you have posted nothing in support of your claims.

I asked you HOW is it hyperbole, not WHAT is hyperbole. Simple question I would have thought but I guess you don't have the guts to call me a liar to my face.

The type is very relavent, you're showing your ignorance to suggest otherwise

There is a huge difference between 500 euro and 80

My system, plus extra wire and 3 extra collars came to a total of €487, would you like to see the receipt?

• Advertisement

I could make a youtube video of me describing the collar as lovely and exciting. Test it for yourself rather than going by an overreaction from someone trying to boost his profile.

I have. You obviously have a good opinion of Vets
    I'm not really interested in what people "think" - I am interested in studies carried out by people who know what they are talking about.

You are clearly not otherwise you would of looked at the Welsh Assembly link that covers the extensive research & the 173 responses.
    You stated - "The chances of escape are many times higher with an electronic fence than a real one". You have no proof for this, nor have you provided any actual evidence.

And i can find people that use and approve of them and remote training collars also.

Demanding evidence is a bit rich seeing as you haven't provided a single link.

Then tell us about these people & let us read their evidence. The Welsh Assembly listened to people representing the manufacturers & sellers. They were clearly not swung by their argument.

Also bear in mind that Wales has a huge rural community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

To put it plainly. They are ok if your dog is scared sh*tless of the shock. I trained mine and it worked (most of the time) except when there was faulty (buried) wire, dont ask me how I guess the wet got to it. This happened a fair few times. I have dogs that can run pretty fast. If they don't see a cat they wont go as you said past the warning sound. BUT if they do see a cat they are gone, over the wire and the shock hits them after they are 6 ft from it going after the cat. Then they are afraid to cross back over it again.

They are crap pure and simple. Not full proof, not forever lasting battery proof, not non breaking wire proof. You can't beat a proper fence that keeps your animals safe without question if it is constructed properly.

No, the point is that because the dog got stuck, it was shocked repeatedly until someone freed it. If it were a regular collar, she'd just be stuck, not getting electrocuted in the process. Of course the type of collar is relevant, jeez.

The collars shut down after 20 seconds. "Electrocution" is far too strong of a word.
    Instead of posting a sarcastic link to the google definition of a word why don't you post some real links ? I have given many from valid sources who oppose shock collars.

Why don't you do the same for those that support their use other than links to the manufacturers or retailers that sell them ?

You are accusing people of lying & misrepresentation but you have posted nothing in support of your claims.

Sorry if i was being unclear. I believe that when you claimed your husband shrieked when he touched one of these collars is hyperbole and an exaggeration. I have also tested them on myself and I felt under no need to scream.

You are the one that made the claims, so you need to back them up with evidence.
    My system, plus extra wire and 3 extra collars came to a total of €487, would you like to see the receipt?

My system with one collar cost 80 euro delivered to my door, what is your point?
    I have. You obviously have a good opinion of Vets
    I have the upmost respect for people that are highly skilled in a difficult field. That guy is exaggerating.

Demanding evidence is a bit rich seeing as you haven't provided a single link.
    I am asking for people to back up their statements. Otherwise this becomes farcical.

20 seconds is 20 seconds too long in my opinion. And that's exactly what it is - my opinion. I have already stated I don't agree with this fencing, but that regardless of which, the pup is too young for electric fence training. 6 months is the earliest you should start. So whether it is a great idea or not, it's still too soon.

20 seconds is 20 seconds too long in my opinion. And that's exactly what it is - my opinion. I have already stated I don't agree with this fencing, but that regardless of which, the pup is too young for electric fence training. 6 months is the earliest you should start. So whether it is a great idea or not, it's still too soon.

I am merely pointing out that the collars do not operate indefinitely, as was was indicated by a previous poster.

I agree that puppies are not suitable candidates.

Then let's all settle on the fact that I am right and forget this incredible argument to which there is no definitive answer :D
    I'm sure the OP knows what they need to know now.

I am asking for people to back up their statements. Otherwise this becomes farcical.

So practice what you preach :D Give us the links ?

There is the suggestion that proper fencing is expensive. I did a little investigating & by using "half round" posts & rails covered in chicken wire the cost is around €15 per metre.

It's also very easy. Just put in the posts & fix the rails on the bottom so that they are about an inch off the ground. This is to stop the dog lifting the wire & getting underneath. Then attach a top rail so that the wire can't sag especially if the dog jumps up. Finally staple the chicken wire to the inside of the posts & rails. If it's a big dog then use chainlink instead of chicken wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Sorry if i was being unclear. I believe that when you claimed your husband shrieked when he touched one of these collars is hyperbole and an exaggeration. I have also tested them on myself and I felt under no need to scream.

Discodog, have you got a husband tucked away somewhere that you've never told anyone about? Civil ceremony abroad was it?;)

So practice what you preach :D Give us the links ?

There is the suggestion that proper fencing is expensive. I did a little investigating & by using "half round" posts & rails covered in chicken wire the cost is around €15 per metre.

It's also very easy. Just put in the posts & fix the rails on the bottom so that they are about an inch off the ground. This is to stop the dog lifting the wire & getting underneath. Then attach a top rail so that the wire can't sag especially if the dog jumps up. Finally staple the chicken wire to the inside of the posts & rails. If it's a big dog then use chainlink instead of chicken wire.

I didnt make the initial claims, so the onus is not on me :p

Chicken wire isn't suitable fencing for many breeds i'm afraid, it would only suit a very small dog. You really need to be looking at chainlink which involves concreting in posts to support the weight. Its pretty expensive and time consuming to do.

At the price you quoted for the chicken wire (which seem very high, i would expect about 5 total per meter) it would cost me about 5 thousand euro. The fence would also not be stock proof so i would need additional wire and work (about 100 euro more though, so relatively not a lot more).

edit: chainlink is 75 euro for 25 meters - so 1k would be enough to fence my garden, not including stakes, concrete, additional wire and labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Anyone who has said they've tested these collars have you tested it on your arm/hand or around your neck, also have you set it off yourself or gotten a friend set it off randomly so you can't anticipate the shock and tense up?

From memory I remember seeing a dog run for €309 in a local petshop at the weekend, I'm sure they could be gotten much cheaper using the builder's fences. The petsafe fences are ~€200.

Advertisement