Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Elysian (Idle tower)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Parts of the upper masonry were falling off a few months back. They had nets up to catch the debris that was falling down.

I live there, it was my understanding the nets at the bottom of the tower were there as they worked on some of the metel on the windows. I would have thought if masonry was falling the road and footpath would have been closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I live there, it was my understanding the nets at the bottom of the tower were there as they worked on some of the metel on the windows. I would have thought if masonry was falling the road and footpath would have been closed off.

That would have been my thoughts as well so perhaps you're correct. I shouldn't have used "masonry" as that implies a material as I'm not sure what the correct term is for a exterior cladding element.

edit. Just found this on the PROC where they seem to think it was connected to the windows. But it's the PROC so it's not exactly reliable.

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199571

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Hopefully when the property market returns to some bit of normality other high rises will be built in the immediate vicinity of The Elysian.

I understand Owen O Callaghan owns a lot of land around that part of town and the warehouse across from the Clarion could also facilitate a high rise development.

I'm not actually in favour of high rise buildings in Cork City as I don't think there is a need for them. However, given that the Elysian is already there - and will be for a long time - I believe the council have to allow for other high rise buildings in that part of the city, just so The Elysian doesn't stand out like a sore thumb for the next 30years.

It will also give the impression that the council strategically designated that area of the city for high rise development. Even though it's quite obvious that they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

What bits are falling off?

The bits they caught with the nets to catch the bits falling off last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

evilivor wrote: »
    The bits they caught with the nets to catch the bits falling off last September.

ya but what are the "bits"?? not exactly an intelligent answer :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

ya but what are the "bits"?? not exactly an intelligent answer :confused:

My understanding was no bits fell, while working on the windows of the tower the nets were used incase any of the window fittings fell. I am open to correction but from passing by each day that was my understanding.

Advertisement