Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering 457 wanted...

Options
  • 21-01-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am a chemical engineer, was in Perth a couple of years ago and was working for a mining consultancy firm for 6 months on my WHV. Have 4 years experience in other roles (2 each side of my trip).

I'm told there's loads of jobs for engineers around WA at the min. Just wondering how people have gone about getting 457's?

I'm not going for about 6 months due to family wedding, how long does it take a 457 to process? I've a couple of friends working in Perth and contacted my old place of work so there keeping me in mind if anything comes up, but just wondering do people just apply for jobs on seek or go through any special visa agency? Have many engineers got sponsored from home?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Hi,
    I am a chemical engineer, was in Perth a couple of years ago and was working for a mining consultancy firm for 6 months on my WHV. Have 4 years experience in other roles (2 each side of my trip).

I'm told there's loads of jobs for engineers around WA at the min. Just wondering how people have gone about getting 457's?

I'm not going for about 6 months due to family wedding, how long does it take a 457 to process? I've a couple of friends working in Perth and contacted my old place of work so there keeping me in mind if anything comes up, but just wondering do people just apply for jobs on seek or go through any special visa agency? Have many engineers got sponsored from home?

Thanks for any help!

I got sponsored recently by a company in Sydney in telecoms. Once I accepted the job offer it took about 8 working days to get the 457 Visa through with my girlfriend as a defacto and then they booked the flights a couple of days later. So it was a pretty quick process. I'm flying out now on Monday!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

digiman wrote: »
    I got sponsored recently by a company in Sydney in telecoms. Once I accepted the job offer it took about 8 working days to get the 457 Visa through with my girlfriend as a defacto and then they booked the flights a couple of days later. So it was a pretty quick process. I'm flying out now on Monday!! :D

8 days that is pretty quick allright! How did you get in touch with your company? Through seek or had you a contact or what? A phone interview first I assume? Maybe i'm starting too look into it too early if I can't go untill august! Best of luck over there! Sweet getting ur flights paid for! Had you applied much places or how did you go about getting the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Hi,
    With that much experience you should be able to get a permanent residency visa without company sponsorship. That'd make it much easier to get a job.

I got my 457 through a job that was just advertised on seek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

mobius42 wrote: »
    With that much experience you should be able to get a permanent residency visa without company sponsorship. That'd make it much easier to get a job.

I got my 457 through a job that was just advertised on seek.

Yeah applying for permanent residency is a bit of a big step, and expensive! I'll see how I get on trying to get a sponsorship with a combination of seek and using people I know over there. At least i know that sponsorship shouldn't take too long based on the above 8 days, if I do get manage to get it...

Read somewhere on boards about people getting refused entry on a holiday visa because they were suspected of looking for work with it.. so best only go over on a holiday visa as a last resort!

Advertisement