Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn in Moses basket

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Another thing we found great in the Moses basket was a slumber bear. It makes sounds that apparently replicate the womb, and can do white noise as well. We got a loan of one and was amazed by how it worked so quickly.

They are expensive enough though so unless it's on special or you can get a loan it might be a bit too expensive.

We were never comfortable with co sleeping either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

White noise can also be very good for helping to settle them. If you've got an android or iPhone you can use an app and play it during the night. My mam said to me that there's always something that will help settle them and it's a process of elimination to find what it is. My son also hated bring swaddled tightly but again if you left his arms free he liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Well folks, our little one had her 2 week check today and she's gone from 6lbs 8ozs to 7lbs 10ozs. Nurse was delighted. She also said that if Holly isnt sleeping in the moses basket at night then try the cot, and get either a slumber bear or a cot mobile and see if she can self soothe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

whitelightrider that's fantastic news about the weight gain. It's such a reassurance to know she's thriving. As for self soothing, I don't think newborns can self soothe. They want to be close to their mother and that's how they soothe. I think swaddling is the best thing to do if youre putting her in a Moses basket or cot but it takes time for them to get used to being separated from their mother so pick her up, hold her and cuddle her lots and you'll have a very soothed baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

both ours were in the cot from day one, no such thing as being too small for it.
    I BF both and liked co sleeping but felt both i and the baby got a better sleep when they were in a cot as i knew they were safer!! but as they got bigger they used to have their morning nap in the bed with me!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Absolutely. We didn't bother with the moses basket, thought it was an unnecessary expense.

When ye were putting them in the cot did ye use a divider to make the cot smaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I've just put my youngest into the cot, i don't use a divider, i just put his feet close to the bottom of the cot..you could use a blanket rolled up but if they're at the bottom you know they can't go any lower ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Same here. When they're tightly swaddled they don't know any different.

Our fella has actually gone off the mattress at the moment, he had to go in a bouncer (in the cot) over xmas because he had a cold and blocked up down flat. Not really in a hurry to transfer him back, he's a major leg thumper. :)

Great stuff folks. We have a Graco travel cot with the Bassinet so we may try her in that tonight. Its nice and soft and we can see directly into it from the bed. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

no we didnt use a cot divider, dont see the need for them personally!
    just put them straight in first nite home and that was it!!
    different story now over a year later!!
    little miss loves our bed so when she wakes in the middle of the nite, i bring her straight into our bed!! (joys of working full time with 2 kids) no energy for fighting with them at 4am......

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dahamsta wrote: »
    Surprised by the amount of people commending cosleeping here, myself and the wife decided against it very early on because of the risk of cot death. Out of curiosity, do ye not agree with/believe the recommendations on this?

In our case it took a lot of trial and error, but he took to the cot grand in the end with tight (relatively speaking) swaddling, gradually reduced, and then a padded sleepsuit instead of blankets. 5 months now, still hates blankets. :)

"Cot death" means just that...babies dying alone in a cot (recently renamed S.I.D.S., no doubt at the persuasion of cot sellers)

In societies where sleeping with your baby is the norm, cot death is unheard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

"Cot death" means just that...babies dying alone in a cot (recently renamed S.I.D.S., no doubt at the persuasion of cot sellers)

In societies where sleeping with your baby is the norm, cot death is unheard of.

Sorry but S.I.D.S. can happen anywhere, at anytime. Please don't scaremonger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

A bit off topic, but I was talking to a friend who's baby was in neo-natal for 5 weeks when she was born. She was mostly full term. The mother was in there from early morning to late at night and the baby never had an issue sleeping in the incubator / crib / cot. Even though baby was hooked up to monitors and drips etc.

She joked once she got the baby home, she wouldn't go into her crib / moses basket / pack and play. She admitted she did as I did and basically held her baby all the time. And why not!

She did have nightmares of her little one in the nights in the hospital crying to herself.

But we both said we'd love to ask a nurse what's their secret?!! Do they just put them down and let them cry or do they sooth them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I would imagine it's mainly the incubator/medical device whitenoise that soothes babes so much. The warm environment, the drips, the beeps...putting me to sleep just thinking of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    She did have nightmares of her little one in the nights in the hospital crying to herself..

Ah god help her, that's so sad! :(

We have a vtech sleepy bear projector and sounds thingy- i nearly put it on for myself when I'm going to bed, it's lovely! We only starting using it when the little man moved into his cot cos it can be strapped onto the side so its very safe and secure. These days we put him to bed when still awake but showing signs of being tired, and put this on for him and he drops off straight away.
    I think any kind of backgroud noise helps muffle other sudden noises, so they don't get disturbed as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

January wrote: »
    Sorry but S.I.D.S. can happen anywhere, at anytime. Please don't scaremonger.
    Actually SIDS rates in countries where co-sleeping is the norm are lower then those where it is not the norm, that is established as a fact.
    breastfeeding also reduces rates of SIDS, so yes SIDS can happen anywhere and to any baby, but to reduce risks the reality the artificial feeding needs to be more well known.
    Japan, another industrialized country, not only has one of the lowest infant mortality rates (less than 3 infants per 1000 live births compared with around 7 for the United States), but one of the lowest SIDS rates in the world (between .2 and .3 babies per 1000 live births compared with approximately .5 per 1000 infants for the US). The Japan SIDS Family Organization reported that SIDS rates continue to decline in Japan as maternal smoking approaches practically 0, and exclusive breastfeeding reaches around 70-75 % . In fact, one report shows that as bedsharing and breastfeeding increased and as maternal smoking decreased, SIDS rates decreased. This suggests yet again that it is not necessarily bedsharing, but how it is practiced, that can be dangerous.
    http://www.naturalchild.org/james_mckenna/cosleeping_world.html

Advertisement