Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad did I mess up

Options
  • 21-01-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I had an interview yesterday and I made a couple of mistakes that I'm thinking were pretty bad.

The role was with the HSE and I fully researched the role beforehand. It's a new service though and a company from the UK is contracted to set it up. One of the ladies on the panel was from that company and she asked me what I knew about them. I didn't know anything! I stupidly never thought to research them. She did not seem impressed.

One of the other questions was about my ability to seek help when I need it and I STUPIDLY admitted that I'm not very good at that as I see seeking help as a failure! Seriously I think my brain must have disengaged for a few minutes. They even commented on how major a weakness that is.

It was one of those competency appraisal interviews where they score every answer and the highest marked candidates get the jobs. Apart from those two faults the rest of the interview went well. Have I totally messed it up? Or is there still a tiny chance that I could get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

OK, you answered those two questions badly. BUT, as each question is marked out of a certain score, that might be better for you than a less regimented interview because other questions you answered well may compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I'm so glad you said that because that's exactly what I've been telling myself. Makes it more realistic if someone else thinks the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Wow, those were two pretty big errors...either of which would be enough to reject an application in an informal interview, but as Seomra Mushie says it depends on the scoring system.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

always, always research a company before an interview, first thing you do... :)
    still, it might not have been all bad, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Whiplashy wrote: »
    One of the other questions was about my ability to seek help when I need it and I STUPIDLY admitted that I'm not very good at that as I see seeking help as a failure! Seriously I think my brain must have disengaged for a few minutes. They even commented on how major a weakness that is.

To be honest if the role is working with vulnerable people then this was a major mistake. You always have to be able to identify situations that need to be reported to a higher position, always the needs of the vulnerable person must be above your own issues.

Not trying to be too negative about your interview but if you want to work with people then you need to change this idea. A lot of people have difficulty in admitting that they need help, but if you going along not saying anything for fear of how you will be perceived is going to be to the detriment of the service user, then its a bad trait for an employee.

I've done loads of these types of interviews and every time I have come out thinking I messed some part of it up. They are really tough going, don't be too hard on yourself, look at it as a learning curve, if you don't get this job then just try work on these aspects for the next interview. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I had an interview yesterday and I made a couple of mistakes that I'm thinking were pretty bad.

The role was with the HSE and I fully researched the role beforehand. It's a new service though and a company from the UK is contracted to set it up. One of the ladies on the panel was from that company and she asked me what I knew about them. I didn't know anything! I stupidly never thought to research them. She did not seem impressed.

It was one of those competency appraisal interviews where they score every answer and the highest marked candidates get the jobs. Apart from those two faults the rest of the interview went well. Have I totally messed it up? Or is there still a tiny chance that I could get it?

Go easy on yourself,

As other posters have said, you'll pick up marks for other competencies.

If it's any consolation, I've spoken to quite a few people who have gone through the competency based interview process and all of them have found the board to be much tougher, more probing than interviews they participated in in the past.

So put it behind you, learn from it and sure there's nothing you can change about the interview now. Some parts of it went well, so there's no point in dwelling on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Hindsight is great "after" an interview. Sometimes, we are our own worst critic about these things. Maybe it didn't go quite as bad as you thought. As others have said, you need to chalk it up as experience. The one positive of making mistakes is being able to learn from them to avoid reoccurence.

Try reading up on succesful interview techniques and how to respond effectively to "difficult" questions such as listing your strengths and weaknesses (the latter always a hard one to answer and which interviewers love asking!).

Thanks for all the replies. That was the worst interview I ever had, but I got the job :) Turns out the scoring system really can work in your favour. I've no doubt I wouldn't have gotten the job had it been in the traditional interview format!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well done you!!! I have an interview tomorrow, I'll bear this in mind if I fluff a question :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Congrats! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Hi,

I am just reading your post on the newborn health screener job just wondering is the interview difficult?

I am very nervous

Thanks

cvb03 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am just reading your post on the newborn health screener job just wondering is the interview difficult?

I am very nervous

Thanks

Hi,

From the posts above I'm sure you can tell that I did find the interview challenging. However there are no right answers that they are looking for really.

They want you to demonstrate that you are a reliable and honest person. Do not bulls*it them! You also need to demonstrate that you can work both independently and as part of a team. Your communication skills are extremely important. It's pretty much the biggest part of the job and it's not something that you can train someone to be good at. Overall this is what they are watching out for.

Answer all questions in a friendly and open manner. If you don't have an answer or don't know an answer be truthful in a friendly manner.

Have you researched what it is we actually do? When's the interview? I can send you some information if you need it. It is for the most part a wonderful job. Best of luck!

Advertisement