Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing dates for applications through GTTR?

• 21-01-2012 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked already, but I've had a look through the threads and haven't seen this question asked. I want to apply for a PGCE in the UK, I have all the requirements minus the classroom observation (which I intend to obtain in the coming weeks), but am just wondering when do I have to apply by?
    I read on one of the sites that places are allocated firstly to those who apply by 1st Dec, however remaining places will be offered out to applications made after this. Also, I read on some of the universities websites that they have courses beginning in Sept and Jan. So does this mean you apply and they can offer a place on either start date?
    Sorry if this is a long winded question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondePrincess

I After some more searching, I found my answer on the GTTR website! Here it is in case anyone else is wondering.

Q: Can I apply for primary courses after the 1 December deadline?

A: Yes, you can apply for primary courses after the 1 December deadline, but training providers don't have to consider you. Check Course Search to find out if training providers have vacancies and then contact them to confirm they can consider you before applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm applying myself at the moment. I did my classroom observation last week. It started as observation and after 2 days I was told that if I wanted to get more involved it was ok. I got to teach them for a whole day and I got to design a history lesson for the kids as well. Very enjoyable and fun week! I went back and repeated Irish in 2010 and got the C3 but I would be more hopeful of getting a job in the UK with the recruitment freeze.

I'm applying myself at the moment. I did my classroom observation last week. It started as observation and after 2 days I was told that if I wanted to get more involved it was ok. I got to teach them for a whole day and I got to design a history lesson for the kids as well. Very enjoyable and fun week! I went back and repeated Irish in 2010 and got the C3 but I would be more hopeful of getting a job in the UK with the recruitment freeze.

That's great! Did you have to get Garda clearance to do the observation and did you find it easy to get a school who would let you do the observation? Yeah, definitely think the prospects are somewhat better in the UK! Which colleges are you applying to?

I found it easy enough to get a school for observation. I still live pretty close to the primary school I went to so I emailed my old principal asking about observation. He told me to give him a ring and we had a chat about it and he invited me down to the school in January. He actually remembered me from when I was in school there....even though I finished 16 years ago. I asked him on the phone if he wanted Garda vetting and he said it was ok because I was only going to be there for a few days.

The observation went great. I got to have tea with some of my old teachers too. The teacher I was in with was a lovely guy and at the end of my second day he told me that if I wanted to get more involved he'd be happy to let me do more. I ended up getting to teach a few lesson for the rest of the week. I was in with a 2nd class group, they were a great bunch of lads. It didn't phase them at all having a stranger in the room and they actually made me feel very welcome. It was fantastic week and I don't think I've laughed that much in a long time. I think most schools will be happy to help you out if you're looking for observation.

I'm trying to write my personal statement at the moment. I've got a good bit of it written now but I'm trying to fine tune it a bit. I'm going to apply to the University of East London and Kent University. Where are you applying?

That's brilliant, sounds very positive! I'll have to get mine sorted soon, but it's difficult while working full time and doing shift work! I'm looking into Liverpool Hope or Manchester Metropolitian Uni, as well as Uni of East London. It's hard to know where to pick, because there are so many choices in the UK, not that I'm complaining :o!

• Advertisement

It's nice to have so much choice compared to what we have here in Ireland. I still have to think about my other 2 choices. I got my personal statement written but it was too long to fit on the GTTR's personal statement thing...even though I did as they suggested as wrote it in Word and kept it below 4,000 characters and 47 lines. A bit of surgery to it is needed. My primary reference got back to me today as well and he said he'd be more than happy to give me a reference. Hopefully it's all coming together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 grainne97

Hi guys, I did a few Observation placements, some schools will let come for one day/half day a week (in fact many prefer this as its easier to accommodate) so suggest that to some schools, also exploit any skills you have like drama, music, languages etc lots of schools would love to have you as a 'guest teacher' if you could give their students something a little different. Hope this helps.

I've applied for Liverpool hope too, interview is in march, fingers crossed for you!

Advertisement