Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary Teaching Queries

• 21-01-2012 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I am in 6th year currently, and as you know, I'm filling out the CAO.

I really want to become a second-level teacher and would really love some opinions/general responses on some of my topics. Please, and thank you!

I'm very conflicted as for what to put on my CAO, as a number of subjects have captured my interest, and I would love to teach any of them really.

I'm interested in teaching Biology, English, Home Economics, Geography, History and Maths.

Has anyone any idea as to what the demand for any of these subjects are? I have looked around but can't seen to get a straight answer.

Also, does anyone have any experience in teaching any of these subjects? What are they like to teach? Are they fulfilling? Demanding? Pros/cons?

I have been to the Maynooth open day, and I really liked it, but I never got a chance to go to St. Angela's to see what it is like there, for the possibility of going to study Home Economics. Has anyone gone there? Have you any points about the place? What was it like? Was the course material difficult? Nightlife/Social Life? Accommodation?

Any recommendations and replies are very much appreciated, and I'd love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Thank you for reading. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's hard to say because you really should just teach whatever you're passionate about.

In terms of job prospects - it's very hard to get a job with English, History and/or Geography. Lots of people are qualified to teach those.

St. Angela's is a small, almost all-female college. So it'd definitely be a different experience from going to Maynooth or somewhere else. I have friends who were there and loved it. And Home Ec seems to always be a good one for jobs. You don't have to compete with the people who did a general Arts degree, had no idea what they wanted to do and then went back teaching. Less people at age 18 are so sure that they'll go do a degree in Home Ec teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi manic2,
    I am a home ec teacher but trained in Dublin! It is a pity you did not go to st Angela's open day but maybe you could ring them and arrange a visit! St Angela's are on teaching practice after
    Mid term, maybe a student will be in your school? I have tried to answer your questions below!

I will be blunt it's in the middle of nowhere! Alot of students from Dublin get a shock when they arrive! I don't think you are even able to cycle from st Angela's to Sligo IT as it would be too dangerous! I have heard there is a regular bus that costs €2, a few students may have cars and lecturers offer lifts too!

Accommodation:
    They are using private apartments for campus accommodation however they have gone into receivership so I don't know what the story will be for next year! I don't think it is too expensive either

Course content:
    The course is very intense mon-thur 9-5 for home ec and fri for your elective. I have heard that lecturers are very flexible about squeezing in Fridays lectures into mon-thur so you could go home early. To be honest the content is not difficult there is just so much of it! The only thing that most people struggle with is textiles (sewing) but it depends on your previous experience, and at that it is not difficult in 1st year you make a cushion (which really is a j.c. Craft project), 2nd year you make a skirt or shorts I think (which is really a j.c. Textiles project)! After the 4 years you will be well equipped to teach all years!

Nightlife:
    I have heard mixed reports on this! One of my neighbours had a great social life but she got involved in clubs and sports in Sligo IT. I have a student coming on teaching practice after mid term who says she has no social life! So I really think its what you make of it !

Teaching:
    It's a great subject to teach , every day is different and there is alot of flexibility within the subject so you would never get bored! You will have no problem getting a job as st Angela's is the only place you can qualify now. The only downsides are having to look after equipment, and you do get quite tired if you have practical classes all day!!

If you are serious about doing it make sure to put all home ec and all electives down as points can change and it has happened where once you get in you can change electives! ( although they will tell you otherwise at open days!!) and chances are you won't ever have to teach your elective!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'd probably avoid History and Geography anyway. With the reform of the JC and subjects being limited to 8 then there will be even less of these jobs than there is now.

I'd say Home Ec and Maths is your best bet for employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I think I'm going to put Home Ec and Biology in St Angelas as my #1. :)

What is going on with the JC may I ask? It might sound ignorant to ask rather than look it up, but you guys might have better insight. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Manic2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am in 6th year currently, and as you know, I'm filling out the CAO.

I really want to become a second-level teacher and would really love some opinions/general responses on some of my topics. Please, and thank you!

I'm very conflicted as for what to put on my CAO, as a number of subjects have captured my interest, and I would love to teach any of them really.

I'm interested in teaching Biology, English, Home Economics, Geography, History and Maths.

Has anyone any idea as to what the demand for any of these subjects are? I have looked around but can't seen to get a straight answer.

Also, does anyone have any experience in teaching any of these subjects? What are they like to teach? Are they fulfilling? Demanding? Pros/cons?

I have been to the Maynooth open day, and I really liked it, but I never got a chance to go to St. Angela's to see what it is like there, for the possibility of going to study Home Economics. Has anyone gone there? Have you any points about the place? What was it like? Was the course material difficult? Nightlife/Social Life? Accommodation?

Any recommendations and replies are very much appreciated, and I'd love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Thank you for reading. :)

do not worry about demand now. its demand in four years time when you graduate that is important. the world can change a lot in this time.

teachers in this country are ten a penny and unless you are good at sports it may be very difficult to land a decent teaching job.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    do not worry about demand now. its demand in four years time when you graduate that is important. the world can change a lot in this time.

teachers in this country are ten a penny and unless you are good at sports it may be very difficult to land a decent teaching job.

What do you mean? Like the ability to be a gaelic coach or something?

I'm the least sporty person ever! Haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

What do you mean? Like the ability to be a gaelic coach or something?

I'm the least sporty person ever! Haha!

I have noticed that those who can offer the school something stand a much better chance of getting a job that those who just have the dip. teachers are ten a penny in this country.
    a lot of principals would be thinking could this guy manage the soccer or GAA. sport qualifications or strong interest will be beneficial to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Likewise an up to date first aid certificate, a licence to drive a school bus, an outdoor pursuits qualification, some competence in maybe an eastern european language, anything that will make you stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 energeticxx

I studied home ec and biology in Sligo and for the most part I loved the place. Yes the college is very isolated and small. There was a shop on campus but it has closed down. Alot of students have cars though as they are coming from all parts of the country and a bus goes into town a 5 every day. It's taxi's other than that. I never heard of anyone getting a lift with the lecturers!

I would say that one of the replies above gives you a good indication of what the college is like. I have to say I didn't have a bad social life however. I have great memories of my nights out in Sligo and not making it into college for the next day and then out again the next night. As the classes are small you make friends for life in the college. I know that I definatly have more close friends from college in comparison to my friends that studied in the bigger uni's.

With HE teaching job prospects are very good. I believe all my class got jobs no bother.

The course is difficult as its 9-5 every day. However,its more the long hours than the content being academically challenging. Most lecturers are very nice and helpful too.

Students from the college will be on teaching practice between Feb and March so it would be a good idea to talk to any of them if they are in your school. My main advise would be to consider do you really want to be a teacher, are you very interested in the subjects and can you see yourself being a secondary teacher some day?

If you are serious about the course it would be well worth going to visit the college. I wish you all the best with your decision:)

Thank you for all the replies everyone!

energeticxx was a lot of this 9-5 day consistent of mostly practical work?
    What was accomodation like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Caoisinsane

I am really interested in the course and was wondering about accommodation. I will be coming from cork so I'd say I will definatley need a car

Yes, alot of it is practical work which make the hours add up (particularly in first and second year)

Food practicals were once a week for 4 hrs, textiles, fashion and design (sewing etc) are 3 hrs once a week and then there was design studies practicals.

Also if you choose biology as your elective you about two physics / chemistry / anatomy / botany / ecology / biochemistry practical per week. These are really what makes the hours long.

As for accomodation you can choose to live either on campus or in town and commute each day. If you are deciding to live on campus you would be okay booking it after the CAO offers as there is not a huge demand on it.

That's great!

Also, with taking HE and Biology, what are the prospects of actually getting teaching hours in Biology? As in, would timetables be mostly comprised of HE or would I get Biology too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

That's great!

Also, with taking HE and Biology, what are the prospects of actually getting teaching hours in Biology? As in, would timetables be mostly comprised of HE or would I get Biology too?

Your timetable will most definately be made up of majority home ec if not all. This is due to the fact you can't do a pgde in home ec or qualify in the uk anymore so home ec teachers are scarce! Biology is usually taught by the science teachers (which there are loads of!) Im the only one from all my friends who has ever taught their elective and it was because the principal was desperate. I only had 1 fifth year group and brought them through to L.C. I can no longer teach it as I have too much home ec. I know my friends who did Irish as their elective could of gotten full time jobs teaching Irish as schools find it hard to get qualified Irish teachers.

It's definately alot more difficult to get work as a science / biology teacher than as a home ec teacher. There's a surplus of graduates.

I have only ever taught home ec which I love but I was always more interested in biology. I've been covering for a home ec career break up untill now so I'd love to get a post with biology and home ec for Sept.

I've been giving biology grinds for the last year to keep up my interest in the subject and the marking scheme requirements so thats another option.

If you were more interested in science teaching I think to do the pure science teaching degree in Maynooth / UL as principals will always have more home ec hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

It's definately alot more difficult to get work as a science / biology teacher than as a home ec teacher. There's a surplus of graduates.

I have only ever taught home ec which I love but I was always more interested in biology. I've been covering for a home ec career break up untill now so I'd love to get a post with biology and home ec for Sept.

I've been giving biology grinds for the last year to keep up my interest in the subject and the marking scheme requirements so thats another option.

If you were more interested in science teaching I think to do the pure science teaching degree in Maynooth / UL as principals will always have more home ec hrs.

I'm interested in the pure science teaching degree in Maynooth, But now that you say there is a surplus of science teachers I'm rather worried! Will I be doing a degree that will ultimately be pointless in 5 years? I understand you cannot answer that question, However seeing that you are a teacher yourself, can you see many oppurtunities in Science teaching in the next say 5/6 years?

Definately not pointless!!
    I know the degree in Maynooth is very well recognised.

It's hard to know what things will be like it 5 years time, especially with the proposed new junior cert curriculum and the ways things are at the moment.

Getting your first teaching post after qualifying is the most difficult and one you have experience it gets easier. There is a huge demand for science teacher in England and I know of some teachers who would have went to London etc for their first job to get experience and them got jobs in Ireland.

I think if you did the degree you would fare well with getting a job so do not think of letting that put you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

No one can tell how things will be in five years. However I remember reading from the Asti during 2006 or so that the average waiting time for a secondary teacher to find permanency was 7 years. I heard on the radio yesterday it's now up to 8-10 years. The reality is that whatever your subjects you will unfortunately face quite a number of years on temporary contracts that may not have full hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marzifanni

Hi I just read this post and would love some advice on this course. I would be applying as a mature student and would be leaving a job I have worked in for the past five years to pursue this course. Iv completed a first year of nursing which I didnt like and have done a year of a course related to my job ( factory work) which I don't lik. My heart isn't in it iv always wanted to do teaching but never had enough points to apply through cao or money to move to Sligo. Would people honestly recommend applying for this course. Its too late to apply this year but I really want to start next September as I'm 24 now and time is pushing on. Is there a demand for home ec teachers? It's sounds lik such a lovely course and college and reading these posts has made me want it more but I hate having the feeling that I could possibly be giving up evetything to come out at the end with nothing. Having said that I'm a firm believer in following a dream which I will do...... But advice is always helpful :))

Advertisement