Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Tower or Bench

Options
  • 21-01-2012 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Looking for home gym equipment. I have two items in mind, Apex Power Tower or Everlast Bench with 120lb vinyl weights.

Both are $170 CAD, which is pretty much my budget. I guess the bench is better overall, more exercise options, but I like the Power Tower as I think I can fit it in my own room, while the bench probably needs to take over the spare room. Also, I would worry that using the wide bar weights might be dangerous without always having someone around to spot! I have never used the wide one before, I have done it with dumbells which would drop more safely.

0840837_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN

0840853_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN

I would be interested in opinions on which is best. I kinda know the weights and bench are best for building muscle, which is what I want, but my preference is the power tower due to space, safety and I think I might prefer those exercises.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Looking for home gym equipment. I have two items in mind, Apex Power Tower or Everlast Bench with 120lb vinyl weights.

Both are $170 CAD, which is pretty much my budget. I guess the bench is better overall, more exercise options, but I like the Power Tower as I think I can fit it in my own room, while the bench probably needs to take over the spare room. Also, I would worry that using the wide bar weights might be dangerous without always having someone around to spot! I have never used the wide one before, I have done it with dumbells which would drop more safely.

0840837_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN

0840853_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN

I would be interested in opinions on which is best. I kinda know the weights and bench are best for building muscle, which is what I want, but my preference is the power tower due to space, safety and I think I might prefer those exercises.

id go with the power tower, those benches arent worth sh*t at least with the tower you can do chins dips leg raises for a complete upper body workout

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Agree, power tower. That being said I wouldn't limit myself to the Everlast kit there. You might be better off shopping around for strength equipment manufacturers outside of the brand names. You might get a better bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

That power tower looks a bit better than the bench.

Could be quite good if it can be screwed into the floor.

Apart from that, Barry's on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad that ye think the power tower is best!

I haven't been able to find anything else locally or online that comes near to these in terms of price.

I probably can screw it to the floor, but I'd prefer not too; I will see how it works out in use and how it fits in my room.

I'm not sure I like how the top bar is set up though; I notice it has two handles angled down slight at the sides. From the graph this is where you grip for the pull / chin ups. I would have though that it would be easier to just grip the bar in the middle. Maybe the wider grip and to the side like this makes for a tougher routine.

A quick Google search answered my next question, difference between pull up and chin up.

I'm wondering will you work shoulders more if you aim to raise forward so that the bar is behind your head rather than under your chin . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would have though that it would be easier to just grip the bar in the middle. Maybe the wider grip and to the side like this makes for a tougher routine.
    You would be holding in the middle more often than not. you could wrap tennis/hockey tape in the middle if you want. The sides curve down so its easier on the wrists being that far apart, similar to how bicycle handlebars are not usually perfectly straight. I did not see the graph you mentioned. Sometimes stuff like this can be sent out for photography and they just photograph what looks good, with no thought it might be taken as instruction.

I have the use of a cheapo bench like that and never touch it, just feels shoddy and unstable. I would go for the power tower if it had to be one or the other.

But if space and money is an issue I would look at gymnastic rings and/or a removable doorway chinup bar. If I was starting again I would sooner spend my money on rings and a good dipping belt and plates for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Those rings sound like a good idea. I assume they need to be fixed to the ceiling?

I was looking at the removable doorway bars but I don't think I want to risk damaging the door frames; I don't think they are very strong in my place.

I am happy to go with the power tower (and some hockey tape!) now after all this input; it's best best all round. Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement