Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a plant to a coldwater aquarium

Options
  • 21-01-2012 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have a 10 gallon tank up and running successfully for a couple of weeks now with filter etc. Due my first water change today, 20% or so I am told to change.

Anyway I have a thin layer of gravel on the bottom. I would love to add in a plant of some sort. Given that I dont have any sand etc in the bottom just a thin layer of gravel is this possible?

Or do I just have to add in a plant in a pot? What are my options, totally new to this!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

a small pot may be the way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks Cookie!

Is there any way though to have a plant with only a thin layer of gravel without a pot?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Elodea and hornwort will thrive in coldwater, you can just weight them down and throw some if the gravel over the base. You'll need to reposition them after waterchanges though.

Anubias will also do okay, this plant doesn't root in the gravel though, you tie it onto wood or rock and it roots onto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have cabomba, anubias, Java Fern and Amazon Swords in my coldwater tank (21C). All are doing well. The worst thing is that the goldfish keeps uprooting everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks for the replies!

With regards to putting them down then perhaps I could put them in a pot and cover the base of this with a bit of gravel, Im hoping for a natural look. If I just root them in gravel, can I do this with the fish already in the tank and what depth of gravel would I need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭czrewor

I bought some plant, doesnt seem to be taking the best, seems everytime the goldfish brush past it another leave falls off, they dont eat the plant or anything, asking the petstore do I have to do anything to look after plants etc and they said no, just leave in your tank, I'm thinking theres more to it. The temperature of the water is about 24 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

any idea what sort of plant it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have a java fern in my cold water tank and it's doing well. I took it out of the pot, took all the rock wool off it and gently sewed it to a piece of drift wood I bought in the aquarium shop, works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭czrewor

I believe the plant is known as Creeping Jenny or Moneywort
    kylith wrote: »
    any idea what sort of plant it is?

Advertisement