Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adventurer who wanted to live like Bear Grylls in Scottish wilderness for a year foun

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

How did he manage to f*ck up. Was the cabin his own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I used to know that area quite well, I'd agree with the last bit of the article.
    Survival school instructor Ian Moran, who teaches extreme survival and bushcraft skills, said it was extremely unlikely anybody could survive a Highland winter out of doors living off the land.
    He said: 'It would be a tall order for even the most professional person who calls himself a survivalist. Maybe centuries ago, when Scotland was covered in woodland and teeming with wildlife, but not now.

eth0 wrote: »
    How did he manage to f*ck up. Was the cabin his own?

It was a bothy, basically a shed for walkers to shelter/sleep in during bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

RIP man. Silly thing to do really but people don't appreciate just how harsh it can get beyond the four walls of their house until they're actually living in it. Scotland especially.

Yes, this stuff Can Kill You.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

should have been watching ray mears instead, stupid thing to do. rip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

He picked a great time of year to start, November :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

If he'd spent the summer building a nice cabin and getting to know the area he would have had a chance. This was only codology. I initially thought the cabin shown in the pic was his own. He must have stumbled into it when he was already half dead

eth0 wrote: »
    If he'd spent the summer building a nice cabin and getting to know the area he would have had a chance. This was only codology. I initially thought the cabin shown in the pic was his own. He must have stumbled into it when he was already half dead

There really is nothing there to live off unless you go taking the odd sheep but not many there this time of year. Its the sort of place where people do survival training where the idea is to survive long enough to get found or get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

. Its the sort of place where people do survival training where the idea is to survive long enough to get found or get out.

Never a truer statement said there!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement