Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I Sell a Car Without Tax?

Options
  • 21-01-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

I bought a new car last week (Saab 9-3 2.0T Vectorbiggrin.gif) but I'm not driving it yet as it wont be insured for two weeks (that's when my current insurance runs out).
    My new car is taxed until June but my current cars tax ran out at the end of December.

Is there some new rule saying that when I sell my car in next month will it have to be taxed?

My current car is only worth about €500 but still has an NCT until Jan 2013.

Or can I sell it as is and nether me or the new buyer have to back tax it?

confused.gif
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I can't see why you can't
    Unless the powers they be have started a new stupid law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

That's what im wondering. Isn't there some new rule stating that no cars can be declared off the road and have to be taxed all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nope. Doesnt have to be taxed. You can sell it without wheels and doors if you want.
    Typewriter wrote: »
    Isn't there some new rule stating that no cars can be declared off the road and have to be taxed all the time?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Great must be just a rumour so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Can the car be test driven without tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

WIZE wrote: »

Any car can be driven without tax, the implications if you get caught will be the same regardless of why you were driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Typewriter wrote: »
    That's what im wondering. Isn't there some new rule stating that no cars can be declared off the road and have to be taxed all the time?

There is talk of bringing in something like the UK's SORN, but it's still at the talking stage.
    WIZE wrote: »

Legally no. It's illegal to have a car on a public road without Motor tax, you'd need a trade plate to drive without tax or you could drive around a private development.

Advertisement