Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to quote several already quoted posts?

Options
  • 21-01-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I see some people manage to quote a post where that post already quotes someone else and manage to keep all the quoted text. When ever I quote it only copies the text from the person I'm quoting and not the quote they origionally put in their post. If you follow me!!!!

It looks like quote boxes within in quote boxes so people can follow easily the back and forth discussion.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You can nest the quote tags:
    some text
    some more text
    even more text
    All of the various tags can be manually edited or added, you don't have to rely on the automatic adding of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Spear wrote: »
    You can nest the quote tags:
    some text
    some more text
    even more text
    All of the various tags can be manually edited or added, you don't have to rely on the automatic adding of them.

So basically it has to be manually done, there's no button that I've been missing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So basically it has to be manually done, there's no button that I've been missing?

Yes, though the use of the multi quote option may make it quicker to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Sorry folks, severe techno-deficient here.
    I've searched FAQs for an understandable how-to for copying / quoting text from a previous post but the advice assumes a lot of prior knowledge.
    Is there a how-to that actually starts on Page 1 and not on Page 19? For instance, the FAQs state something like "here are BB codes based on HTML codes which you may already be familiar with"!!!!
    Then I found advice that quotes could be "nested" but, again, no indication as to HOW. Do other posters actually enjoy trying to figure out obscure and incomplete instructions, like the good old days of BASIC and COBOL?

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Sorry folks, severe techno-deficient here.
    I've searched FAQs for an understandable how-to for copying / quoting text from a previous post but the advice assumes a lot of prior knowledge.
    Is there a how-to that actually starts on Page 1 and not on Page 19? For instance, the FAQs state something like "here are BB codes based on HTML codes which you may already be familiar with"!!!!
    Then I found advice that quotes could be "nested" but, again, no indication as to HOW. Do other posters actually enjoy trying to figure out obscure and incomplete instructions, like the good old days of BASIC and COBOL?

All the BB codes are based on wrapping text with an opening and closing tag. Such as:

[noparse]
    Some txt to be quoted here
    [/noparse]

The editor buttons for links, Youtube embedding do this all automatically, or you can add them manually.

You can see the BB codes used in any post, but I suspect you may not be seeing them if your post editor is in the simpler mode. You can use the editor switch mode button in the upper right (looks like A/A) and it'll show the codes used in any post being edited.

If you do that with this post, you'll see I've use noparse tags to stop the quote tags being interpreted so they'll show.

• Advertisement

So, I've hit the "Switch Editor Mode" button and.......no difference.
    "The editor buttons for links, Youtube embedding do this all automatically, or you can add them manually" HOW???
    "If you do that with this post, you'll see I've use noparse tags to stop the quote tags being interpreted so they'll show." NOPE!

So, there is no practical, understandable, plain English "How To Boards For Dummies"? Maybe a business opportunity........

So, I've hit the "Switch Editor Mode" button and.......no difference.

"If you do that with this post, you'll see I've use noparse tags to stop the quote tags being interpreted so they'll show." NOPE!

Hmm, seems that will noparse tags will stop the quote tags being interpreted in the displayed post, but if you try and quote the post, it'll wrongly think they're part of an older quote and still strip the quoted content.

"The editor buttons for links, Youtube embedding do this all automatically, or you can add them manually" HOW???

Just press the button and it'll prompt you for the text to go in tags. Or you can select the text and then press the button to do it.

Or you can just type the tags yourself around the text.

Spear, While I really appreciate the time and effort you have expended on my primitive query, and genuinely not wishing to be ungrateful, until we are using the same vocabulary, we will not communicate!

Just press the button WHAT BUTTON? and it'll prompt you for the text to go in tags;
    Or you can select the text and then press the button WHAT BUTTON? to do it;
    Or you can just type the tags
    WHAT TAGS? yourself around the text.

I have seen other explanations of how to add a quote but, unfortunately, the only ones I can find, again, assume prior familiarity with the process. I don't know anyone who knows what a noparse tag is. Since they appear to be crucial, could you point me to a definition? Or better still, forget the definition - it will probably use more obscure words to explain that obscure word. The best solution may be to point me to a how-to in the form of:
    1. Click this;
    2. Write text;
    3. Click that;
    4. Click that;
    5. Done.

Spear, While I really appreciate the time and effort you have expended on my primitive query, and genuinely not wishing to be ungrateful, until we are using the same vocabulary, we will not communicate!

Just press the button WHAT BUTTON? and it'll prompt you for the text to go in tags;
    Or you can select the text and then press the button WHAT BUTTON? to do it;
    Or you can just type the tags
    WHAT TAGS? yourself around the text.

I have seen other explanations of how to add a quote but, unfortunately, the only ones I can find, again, assume prior familiarity with the process. I don't know anyone who knows what a noparse tag is. Since they appear to be crucial, could you point me to a definition? Or better still, forget the definition - it will probably use more obscure words to explain that obscure word. The best solution may be to point me to a how-to in the form of:
    1. Click this;
    2. Write text;
    3. Click that;
    4. Click that;
    5. Done.

Ignore noparse for the moment, it's just something to ensure that the tags are displayed in a human readable form and not hidden.

On the top right, you can also see the editor mode switching button.

At the top of the text editing window, there's a row of buttons:

deleting_thumb.jpg

The little yellow speech bubble does the quote tags. If you press it on it's own it'll just add a pair of open and closing quote tags, with no content:

[noparse]
    [/noparse]

If you select a piece of text, and then press the quote button, it'll add the open and closing tags at each end.

If you've been able to add italic and bold text, you've already been using tags, since italics are added by [noparse] and [/noparse] and bold is [noparse] and [/noparse].

Thanks again, Spear, you're efforts are exceeded only by your patience.

Regarding "If you've been able to add italic and bold text, you've already been using tags, since italics are added by and and bold is and ." I'm afraid not. I usually write in Word and cut and paste to boards. Some of above WAS written in boards but I simply selected and hit the italics button above left. No tags - I don't know what or where they are.

Regarding At the top of the text editing window, there's a row of buttons:

The little yellow speech bubble does the quote tags. If you press it on it's own it'll just add a pair of open and closing quote tags, with no content:

If you select a piece of text, and then press the quote button, it'll add the open and closing tags at each end.

I selected "At the top of the text editing window, there's a row of buttons:

I selected [
    I]"Hmm, seems that will noparse tags will stop the quote tags being interpreted in the displayed post"[/I]
    and hit the yellow quote button. Can't wait to see if anything happens.

• Advertisement

I usually write in Word and cut and paste to boards.

Word is an unexpected an unusual choice when posting.

I selected [ and hit the yellow quote button. Can't wait to see if anything happens.
    You missed off the first bracket from the italics tag, but otherwise it worked fine.

You missed off the first bracket from the italics tag, but otherwise it worked fine.

No idea what that means. You're still talking about tags to someone who has no idea what or where they are.
    If......above works, a much simpler how-to is:
    1. Hit quote button. "Quote" - "quote" appears;
    2. Select and copy required text;
    3. Paste text between "Quote" (here) "quote".

If it doesn't work, it's time to give up. I don't have a fraction of your patience. It should not be this difficult to insert a quote.

No idea what that means. You're still talking about tags to someone who has no idea what or where they are.
    If......above works, a much simpler how-to is:
    1. Hit quote button. "Quote" - "quote" appears;
    2. Select and copy required text;
    3. Paste text between "Quote" (here) "quote".

If it doesn't work, it's time to give up. I don't have a fraction of your patience. It should not be this difficult to insert a quote.

Tags are just a way of marking the stop and start of something to have some extra formatting or other action applied, either to alter the text, or something more complex such as to embed a Youtube video.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement