Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Javan wrote: »
    As the minister said in the Dail chamber today, this is a case where the community has to come together.

I said earlier in this thread that if he persisted in working on a bad law I'd be at the front of the line protesting it. I'll stand by that.

There are two protests being organised, one at noon tomorrow (Friday) and another at noon Saturday. Meet at the spire at march to Kildare street. I can't make it tomorrow as I can't get off work at such short notice, but I'll be there on Saturday.

To everyone who was arguing for #OpIreland and other direct action earlier this week: I expect to see you all on Saturday at the spire.

http://www.facebook.com/events/168063729963049/
    http://www.facebook.com/events/322868877751259/

ahhhhhhh all in dublin, enda kenny is in athlone ait on monday, that'd be perfect for a protest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

So what? You think this is important enough to fire up a copy of LOIC on your machine at home, but not to take the time to try and engage with those in power or to take a few hours out of your weekend?

To people like Sherlock a DDOS attack confirms his impression that the Internet is full of selfish anarchists who want everything without spending any of their own time or money getting it.

If he is to be convinced that he is wrong then first he needs to be convinced that this matters to a large group of people who are willing to engage in a constructive debate, and willing to spend their own time and money defending their position.

He wouldn't listen to the constructive debate so far, so now we have to show that we will not be ignored.

That means I'm now arguing for direct action, just like you were earlier. The only difference is the direct action I'm going to be involved in means getting out from behind the keyboard. Also just like you I'm saying the more people that get involved the better.

Hey look I don't mid what people do once they are doing something, but I personally have resigned myself from debate and trying to convince people of stuff. It just dose not work. Just look where we stand as a nation right now...

I for one am glad that they are ****ing **** up with DDOS attacks, because the next option is lighting some fires and physically breaking things.

Sure Sherlock is a local issue that we can effect in some way but in reality this all part of a bigger picture. And it's pretty apparent that copyright infringement and piracy are not at the core of the plan.!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Will the petition even do anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

WatchWolf wrote: »

Let's find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Well since the petition got big numbers the cause has gotten mention on RTE news, Sherlock has agreed to a sit down with TJ McIntyre (who is one of the main men behind the petition), he has agreed to a debate in the Dail and he has published the most recent draft of the legislation. It was also brought up by Deputy Catherine Murphy to support her arguments.

I think that shows it has had an impact, although we can't be sure to what extent.

Still a long way to go, hopefully the protests will garner more publicity as well as bring the issues into the real world (as oppose to numbers on a website).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Nah, let's sit back on our collective arse's and do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

Apparently the issue will be covered on this evening's Prime Time program on RTE1.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Well since the petition got big numbers the cause has gotten mention on RTE news, Sherlock has agreed to a sit down with TJ McIntyre (who is one of the main men behind the petition), he has agreed to a debate in the Dail and he has published the most recent draft of the legislation. It was also brought up by Deputy Catherine Murphy to support her arguments.

I think that shows it has had an impact, although we can't be sure to what extent.

Still a long way to go, hopefully the protests will garner more publicity as well as bring the issues into the real world (as oppose to numbers on a website).

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just emailed my local labour TD and and Sean Sherlock there. Go email your TD's people!

Flood their inboxes

Nah, let's sit back on our collective arse's and do nothing.

That isn't what I meant.

• Advertisement

Apparently the issue will be covered on this evening's Prime Time program on RTE1.

On now for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Dev has been on the phone to Sean Sherlock tonight and he says there will be a dail debate before anything else is done.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76748647&postcount=278

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Dev has been on the phone to Sean Sherlock tonight and he says there will be a dail debate before anything else is done.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76748647&postcount=278

keep emailing the td's so

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

Just a short video on polish people trying to convince their government to keep ACTA (edit: signed also by Ireland as well) away from their computers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kris71 wrote: »
    Just a short video on polish people trying to convince their government to keep ACTA (signed already by Ireland as well) away from their computers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8eVOMw50hU

Poland has already signed it as well. They signed it earlier today just like us.

Poland has already signed it as well. They signed it earlier today just like us.

Still has to be ratified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I understand why people are emailing and asking others to do the same...

But it aint gonna change shit. A hopeless action I feel.

LighterGuy wrote: »

Don't so, Join the rest of the sheep in the pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

darokane wrote: »
    Don't so, Join the rest of the sheep in the pen.

Sheep in the pen? typical response :rolleyes:

See that world outside your window? its big, bad and the likes of you and me dont make the rules.
    Acta, which was in hidden talks for years. Today had 20+ eu states signed on it.

You honestly think your emails are gonna change something? ... good luck mate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Still has to be ratified.

I know yeah, just pointing out to him that Poland has signed the treaty as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

True never said we didn't. I'm sorry if you took it this way, matter of fact apparently it was agreed under our 'presidency' in europe witch even make us more pissed at those morons

See that world outside your window? its big, bad and the likes of you and me dont make the rules.
    Acta, which was in hidden talks for years. Today had 20+ eu states signed on it.

It's still better than doing nothing at least they will know they screwed this one badly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its now being discussed in the dail later in the week. Not all of us give up on something instantly.

The amount of emails was mentioned in the mini-debate yesterday. If more emails are received and more TDs show up to the debate on Tuesday they will fight for their constituents.

I'm sure most of the TDs have no idea what's going on and probably don't give a **** which means there's a better chance they'll just go there to represent their constituents, no hidden agendas or side-taking.

If enough show up there is a small chance Sherlock will cave and will open the legislation up to the Oireachtas. Once it's there it's unlikely to pass given the amount of people against it.

At the very least though it'll just help to frustrate the TDs to the point Sherlock won't have many people sitting beside him at the lunch table. And he's extraordinarily frustrating to listen to anyway with his unprepared, mumbling responses.

I really couldn't be bothered with someone who has an attitude like that
    good luck in life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I really couldn't be bothered with someone who has an attitude like that
    good luck in life

Dar can you PM me with an MSN address or something like that?

I know we've spoken on Twitter before... I'd like to discuss something with you regarding Mr Sherlock's website.

Achilles wrote: »

I know we've spoken on Twitter before... I'd like to discuss something with you regarding Mr Sherlock's website.

dont do msn, either facebook or twitter or email, which ya prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

dont do msn, either facebook or twitter or email, which ya prefer?

Email will do so... or you can DM me on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Achilles wrote: »

Lads, if ye're trying to join Anonymous ye're going about it the wrong way in fairness. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Gotta do what we can. SOPA was expected to pass in the states with the amount of money and congress people behind it - and then the backlash was felt...

🤪

Advertisement