Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Place is fairly barren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

What happened couldnt watch it as I was in college.

What happened couldnt watch it as I was in college.
    Basically the opposition raised some very good point, and Minister Sherlock replied with "blah, blah, blah, blah. The wording isn't changing and I'm signing it it... blah, blah, blah, blah" (not hit exact words ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Soooo what's the plan now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Basically the opposition raised some very good point, and Minister Sherlock replied with "blah, blah, blah, blah. The wording isn't changing and I'm signing it it... blah, blah, blah, blah" (not hit exact words ;))

Thats exactly as it happened, we had a debate but he already had his mind made up. It's time to escalate this

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Seconds away... round 2.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Seconds away... round 2.

DeV.

Do tell.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

He's another Dempsey. The man needs sacking, it's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thats exactly as it happened, we had a debate but he already had his mind made up. It's time to escalate this

How to escalate in the right manner? I do have to say if I ever thought of voting labour in the past I wont be again. Showing their communist colours we need a good auld secret police to monitor the peons next.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Calhoun wrote: »
    How to escalate in the right manner? I do have to say if I ever thought of voting labour in the past I wont be again. Showing their communist colours we need a good auld secret police to monitor the peons next.

I think one option is to go down the Mark Thomas route. Read the small print of the legislation and smother the copyright holders with lots of spurious requests for permission to host copyrighted material. im nit just talking about boards here. anyone on facebook twitter etc could follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Is Stop SOPA Ireland down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

looks like it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stop SOPA Ireland
    We're aware the StopSOPAIreland.com website is down at the moment. No, we're not under a DOS/LOIC attack, & no, Leinster house hasn't initiated recriminations because we tried to speak up. The team are working on resolving the issue at present, so thanks for bearing with it!!!

Also

Sean Sherlock & our Government last night contended we should trust & have faith in our Judiciary. Well, a member of decided that websites that can carry defamation can/should/will be closed as they can cause suicide. So by his logic, FaceBook in Ireland is a goner.

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/irish-judge-closes-opinion-website-saying-defamation-can-cause-suicide-0020292-1
    Judge Michael Peart ordered rate-your-solicitor.com to be closed because it had defamed a Sligo solicitor, Declan Tansey. The action was against site operators and the US site host, Dostster Inc.

The judge said the site was: "allowing unscrupulous persons or ill-motivated malcontents to vent their anger and grievances against people, where their allegations are patently untrue and unreasonable".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/02/01/irelands-sopa-opera/
    When it takes a Freedom of Information request to discover that Enda Kenny held a private meeting last summer with the new head of the Motion Picture Association of America, former Democrat Senator Chris Dodd, then the suspicion that vested interests are intervening in a surreptitious manner to shape the law is fully justified. All the more so when it happens quietly in Castlebar.

Also a reminder that this legislation is not the same as SOPA in the US, the debate is about the complete lack of debate on our stroke of the pen laws and their unintended consequences.

http://domuirgheasa.com/archives/322

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Has anyone ever heard of Sean Sherlock before this? It's like the ensign in star trek that goes with the away team and gets killed.
    Sherlock will bring this in, and disappear from public political life, but will be given a load of nicely paying cushy boards to sit on.

Given how the greens were obliterated in the last election because of their policies, can you imagine what will happen to FG and Labour next time round if stuff like this gets passed. I really don't care what anyone else says, this crowd are a hell of a lot worse than FF ever were. They're sneaky, lying puppets and all they're doing is damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

http://stopsopaireland.com/ is back up with a new pledge thingy.

Guess I'll be heading to the council offices on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

smash wrote: »
    Given how the greens were obliterated in the last election because of their policies, can you imagine what will happen to FG and Labour next time round if stuff like this gets passed. I really don't care what anyone else says, this crowd are a hell of a lot worse than FF ever were. They're sneaky, lying puppets and all they're doing is damage!

FG/Labour fully of (empty) promises and deliver very little only lies and more lies. This SOPA if it gets passed takes the biscuit for me :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Nothing else to do but go for SF in the next leccy.

• Advertisement

iamstop wrote: »
    No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Will be a cold day in hell before I do that. Would prefer to vote in a Dail of Independents.

yeah,

since before we joined the EU they have been anti-europe and anti-UK which doesn't bode well

they have self censored by not commenting on republican crimes and "the reality of the situation" may not in fact match facts.

Historically they / their co-travellers have had a very hands on approach to censorship and not always of the "don't shoot the messenger" approach

So how many people went to see there T.D's?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

darokane wrote: »
    So how many people went to see there T.D's?

Went to the protest in town yesterday - great turn out ....

The keyboard warriors really stuck it to the man.....

Pathetic, servile, impotent country all together - we deserve this and everything else that's been done to us over the last number of years because we are the softest most apathetic country on the planet

For shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

bedrock#1 wrote: »
    Went to the protest in town yesterday - great turn out ....

I was there, too. Turn out was shit. Like 250 at best.

bedrock#1 wrote: »
    The keyboard warriors really stuck it to the man.....

Some cuntbags at the front kept shouting memes which made us seem like fucking idiots. One guy's sign even said "Sharing = Stealing". No, I did not make a mistake in typing that.

The protest was laughable at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I was there, too. Turn out was shit. Like 250 at best.

Some cuntbags at the front kept shouting memes which made us seem like fucking idiots. One guy's sign even said "Sharing = Stealing". No, I did not make a mistake in typing that.

The protest was laughable at best.

... and that is why I refuse to attend the protests.

I will continue to get in contact with my elected representatives and actually make a difference. These guys are laughable and should not be given any media attention. They do not represent the vast majority of people who oppose the current layout of this SI.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I will continue to get in contact with my elected representatives and actually make a difference.

We don't need individuals, we need large organisations and large Irish websites to make the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

smash wrote: »
    We don't need individuals, we need large organisations and large Irish websites to make the point.

I think you need to re read my post! I said nothing about large scale (business/website) support. All I suggested was that those who are currently on the street protesting this SI are doing more harm than good.

I 100% agree with you that websites backings are needed but if it wasn't for the initial and continued support on the "StopIrelandSOPA" petition, we wouldn't have received the media attention that we did.

Your suggestion that people should give up and leave it to the big guns is both ignorant and idiotic. I have contacted every member of the dail by email and my local representatives by telephone who have all expressed gratitude to me for bringing up my issues on this matter as for the reason that many of them are looking for young interpretations on this issue. I will not stop my process of getting in contact and neither should others. Your comment is only harming any sort of advances in the ending of this current draft of SI.

• Advertisement

I think you need to re read my post! I said nothing about large scale (business/website) support. All I suggested was that those who are currently on the street protesting this SI are doing more harm than good.
    And I agree with you completely. But rather than individuals sending emails or letters to TD's I really think the large companies should show their support to really make an impact.
    Your suggestion that people should give up and leave it to the big guns is both ignorant and idiotic.
    I never suggested that. And don't call me ignorant and idiotic.
    I have contacted every member of the dail by email and my local representatives by telephone who have all expressed gratitude to me for bringing up my issues on this matter as for the reason that many of them are looking for young interpretations on this issue. I will not stop my process of getting in contact and neither should others. Your comment is only harming any sort of advances in the ending of this current draft of SI.
    I don't know what comments you've been reading, but I said that the large organisations and websites need to show support more than individual people. A TD doesn't give a shít what you think. He does give a shít what large companies think.

Why don't you type a letter and send it to Ireland's top 20 websites and all the newspapers.

Advertisement