Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Utter Dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

According to the FrontPage of thejournal, that wanker Sherlock has signed it.

On a related note, has anything like this ever been overturned? And is there any way to make enough noise to get him out of the dail?

Everyone gave up on this weeks ago, only a small minority of petition signatories turned up to protests so i doubt anything is going to change

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

darokane wrote: »
    Everyone gave up on this weeks ago, only a small minority of petition signatories turned up to protests so i doubt anything is going to change

But at the risk of being slated for sounding typically passive here, I didn't think there was a need to turn out to protest, as I along with 80,000 others signed the petition and mailed my td's long before the bill was passed, in fairness, if this was a proper democracy, that should have been enough? Obviously this prick was never going to listen anyway, if he was doing his job, he would have listened when
    the people spoke out, but he didn't anyway. Taking to the streets to protest should never have had to happen if he was to do his job properly and listened
    to us, the people he works for.

I'll protest now, no problem, because it seems to have come to that, he won't listen besides. He won't, or hasn't, even bothered to reply to anyones emails, some servant of the people. Prick.

But at the risk of being slated for sounding typically passive here, I didn't think there was a need to turn out to protest, as I along with 80,000 others signed the petition and mailed my td's long before the bill was passed, in fairness, if this was a proper democracy, that should have been enough? Obviously this prick was never going to listen anyway, if he was doing his job, he would have listened when
    the people spoke out, but he didn't anyway. Taking to the streets to protest should never have had to happen if he was to do his job properly and listened
    to us, the people he works for.

I'll protest now, no problem, because it seems to have come to that, he won't listen besides. He won't, or hasn't, even bothered to reply to anyones emails, some servant of the people. Prick.

completely agree with you, but would a protest now make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Well its all we have left to try, I'll be protesting anyway, if my internet freedom is culled then I'll seriously be considering packing up and leaving this country, a drastic move on its own, for sure, but its a case of the straw that broke the camels back, slowly but surely our civil liberties and freedom is being eroded in this country, and I'm sick of it. Soon we won't even be able to chill out in front of our computers at night after a long day of doing nothing because of unemployment because the majority of the sites we enjoy will be blocked or censored because of Sherlock's act.

This person that started this page on facebook is trying to organise a protest, their trying to get in contact with stop sopa ireland to spread the
    word of an upcoming march if enough interest can be generated. If we don't march for this, we as people deserve everything our elected representitives throw at us!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Resign-Minister-Sherlock/139427996180177

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Sherlock should be dragged out on to the streets and shot...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

completely agree with you, but would a protest now make a difference?

Did in Poland! It was a hard and a long battle, thousands of people protesting all over the country for a few days in sub zero temp, after few days our government had no chance but to give up. So yes it can make a difference, but you need to organize a 'proper' protest once, get some media attention to it, try turning some politicians to your case, I'm sure there will be a at least a few who will see a chance in gaining some votes on it, but its not gonna work if it will be 20 people walking around Dublin center with a banner.

Don't give up, this nation has shown in the past that you can fight for your freedom. Be organized, set up a date in advance convince your friends to come with you, make sure that this time everyone knows that this is the time and place to be at, if you want to stop this ****ers from ruining an internet.

This is what you need to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8eVOMw50hU

To be honest I was 100% sure that petitions and emails will be sufficient in Ireland to stop this madness. I was wrong, it looks that the politicians are the same everywhere and the only thing that can make them reasonable is a vision of being kicked out of office by angry crowd.

Everyone in this country have seen Joshua Bell playing in D.C. Metro but most of the people I'm talking to still have no idea what ACTA or SOPA is, there are some great videos on youtube that will save you the time and explain everything about it, all you have to do is like it and share it, so that the message goes through to everyone, if public media don't want to make it a front page story, use social media, they can be as powerful if not stronger.

I think we need to turn our campaign around and tie it in with the fiscal treaty, say how we are voting no and personally blame sean sherlock for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Access to Netflix USA content was blocked from last Wed. I'm unsure if it's anything to do with this law but I'm presuming it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

smash wrote: »
    Access to Netflix USA content was blocked from last Wed. I'm unsure if it's anything to do with this law but I'm presuming it is.

I think that's just the Unblock US guys upping their game.

I signed up for their 'free trial' last weekend and my access was restored. Access is now blocked again.

There is another service that offers something similar but only while in Beta... works fine on my Xbox but doesn't work on the Wii at all.

It'll show the library but all of the content when played shows that it's 'temporarilly unavailable'.

I can't remember the name of the other service right now however...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I think we need to turn our campaign around and tie it in with the fiscal treaty, say how we are voting no and personally blame sean sherlock for it.

Personally I don't think that is a great idea... Currently the fiscal treaty has definitive support from the electorite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

I hope folks dont mind me reopening this old thread, but there has been an interesting new development.

Throughout this debate there was one talking point that minister Sherlock kept repeating: The Scarlet decision in Belgium is a binding decision by a European court that sets out some rules and limits on what a service provider can be expected to do. Specifically: a service provider cannot be expected to implement any form of general monitoring or filtering of all traffic or content on their network. The technical group in the Dail, when they presented their alternative wording for the SI, tried to get this provision explicitly written into the Irish law.

Well, it seems the Scarlet decision is not a binding as minister Sherlock suggested. A German court has ruled against You Tube for copyright infringement of 12 items managed by a German rights group. According to the BBC report at http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17785613
    If enforced, the ruling could also slow the rate at which video is posted to the site as any music clip would have to be cleared for copyright before being used.
    This is exactly what Sherlock said the Scarlet decision precluded.

tl;dr: Minister Sherlock got it wrong and by letting the courts legislate instead of doing his job and writing good legislation he has left Irish service providers open to impossible demands from rights holders.

stl;dr: Sherlock: we told you so!

Advertisement