Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bord Gais attic & wall insulation question

• 21-01-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi,

Am I in the right place for this?

I live in an end of terrace house and, basically, I could have the gas heating on for hours - but as soon as it switches off the entire house is cold in what feels like minutes.

Just wondering if anybody got this insulation work from Bord Gais done - and if so, was there a real noticeable difference?

Thanks a mill,
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

A neighbour of mine got the external walls pumped and attic insualation done under this scheme, It took the contractor 7 attempts to finish the job correctly.........I had mine done prior to that by a local contractor ( 4 bed detached 2 story) and the job was done in 1 day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 AlanConnolly

Yes, getting the house insulated will help you. Your house will retain the heat once the heating system is turned off.

But use a local company. Stay away from the Utilities.

(I admit that I have a vested interest ~ I operate a small insulation business)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

La Haine wrote: »
    Hi,

Am I in the right place for this?

I live in an end of terrace house and, basically, I could have the gas heating on for hours - but as soon as it switches off the entire house is cold in what feels like minutes.

Just wondering if anybody got this insulation work from Bord Gais done - and if so, was there a real noticeable difference?

Thanks a mill,
    Chris

Whether insulating the wall ans ceiling will have an appreciable effect depends on how the heat is being lost from the house in the first place. From what you said it may well be an airtightness issue as well as insulation. You might be best served to have a heat loss survey done first including an air tightness test to determine the heat loss mechanisms and then decide on what needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Thanks a mill for all the feedback - without a doubt, most of the heat loss would be through the windows - and just haven't got the money to have them replaced!
    The Bord Gais option would suit me cos I could cover the cost in monthly installements.

Bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

La Haine wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for all the feedback - without a doubt, most of the heat loss would be through the windows - and just haven't got the money to have them replaced!
    The Bord Gais option would suit me cos I could cover the cost in monthly installements.

Bummer.
    I had a look at this before and in fairness if you plan paying in installments its probably cheaper to get a wee loan from the local CU than to pay what Bord Gais are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Personally I'd prefer to see the independant contractor being given the chance. Just do your homework, and get references from previous clients to go with the quotations you get.

Advertisement