Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Engineering and LIT in general.

Options
  • 21-01-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So, CAO done, Mech. Eng. top of the level 7 choices.
    Anyone care to share any previous experiences with the course?
    Is it a difficult course? Is it rewarding?
    What are the modules like? I've heard its 50/50 practical work/theory, is this true?
    Is there anything in particular that a prospective student should be aware of?

Speaking in terms of the college, what's your opinion on it?
    Any tips on accommodation? I'd be more inclined to go down the student village route.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Any other LC students asking themselves these questions? What are your plans for LIT?

So many questions! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭FizzyCola

I graduated this year from Facilities Engineering after doing Mechanical.

Its fairly practical but there is a fair bit of theory too. The hours are long, near enough 30 in 1st year and then about 25-26 in 2nd yr, about 22 in 3rd year and i think 14 in 4th year.

second year is by far the hardest. We had 9 subjects in each of the exams and then we had a few practical exams before summer as well. Electronics and Thermodynamics are fairly tough. 3rd and 4th yr is made hard by the projects but the content is fairly easy really except for electronics in 3rd year. The maths can be tricky in 3rd yr but the lecturer helps a lot with a few handy tips near exam time. Pneumatics and hydraulics are a waste of time but you'll soon find out why.

Overall the course is well worth doing and quite enjoyable. The lecturers are sound out and for the most part really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steve_kav

FizzyCola wrote: »
    I graduated this year from Facilities Engineering after doing Mechanical.

Its fairly practical but there is a fair bit of theory too. The hours are long, near enough 30 in 1st year and then about 25-26 in 2nd yr, about 22 in 3rd year and i think 14 in 4th year.

second year is by far the hardest. We had 9 subjects in each of the exams and then we had a few practical exams before summer as well. Electronics and Thermodynamics are fairly tough. 3rd and 4th yr is made hard by the projects but the content is fairly easy really except for electronics in 3rd year. The maths can be tricky in 3rd yr but the lecturer helps a lot with a few handy tips near exam time. Pneumatics and hydraulics are a waste of time but you'll soon find out why.

Overall the course is well worth doing and quite enjoyable. The lecturers are sound out and for the most part really helpful.

Second year mechanical and agree with everything you say. Second year is tough but first year is a good building block to get you ready for it. The lecturers are dead on and will help you if your stuck. The learning support unit also provide brilliant extra tuition for anyone who find it hard. There is a good amount of practical but you have to know a lot of theory as well its not as practical based as some people say but it is a very well rounded course and we do feel like we will be well prepared for work.
    I also totally agree with your comment regarding hydraulics and electro-pneumatics but would like to point out that its fine in first year. So no need to worry about that untill second year.

Engineering technology is an excellent module, in first and second year you have 2 lectures (1 hour each) and a 4 hour practical workshop, You also have 2 hours of welding for half of first year.

Then theres CAD and design which is one design lecture and a 3 hour CAD lab in first year and CAD CAM and design in second year which is 1 hour design lecture again and 3 hours of CAD (Practical lab) . Then theres 2 hours of CAM which is another practical lab.

Then science has 2 hour lab both years but in first year theres 2 lectures. In second year theres only one. Maths is a few lectures a week as well.

Then theres electronics which I personally find very hard and its 2 hours a week in both first and second year.

Then Thermodynamics is one lecture and one 2 hour lab but second year only.

First year is 30 hours for half the year while you have welding and 28 when welding finishs and second year is 26 hours but you can expect to be in the college from 9 to 6 a lot of days doing assignments in second year.

Im in second year so don't know for sure but I believe third year is only 5 modules and 22 hours a week but is mostly project based so you spend a lot of time on the projects. Also in third year you don't get the 4 hour workshop practical that you get in first and second year unless you decide to do a practical based project.

Theres also the option to go on and do 4th year facilities but I know nothing about this course.

I would advise trying to get into the level 6 rather than the level 7 if you can because then you will get your level 6 cert after 2 years and then add on the level 7 and even if you fail out in third year youll already have your cert. If you go straight in for the level 7 theres no cert given after 2 years even though you've done the same amount of work as the students who get the cert.

Overall it is a very enjoyable course but you need to be prepared for a large workload and if you're prepared for it and put the work in you will really learn a lot from the course.

I hope this helps and good luck for the leaving cert :)

Advertisement