Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Irish Boxer will go furthest at 2012 Olympics??

• 21-01-2012 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Which Irish fighter do you think will do the best at olympics 2012??

IMO John Joe Nevin will do well, his style is the most natural and he has excellent reflexes!!

I hope Paddy Barnes qualifies as I like his compact style, he wastes nothing and has an excellent guard. He throws lovely short hooks and uppercuts, fast and precise...

heres hoping!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Katie Taylor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Katie Taylor
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

yabadabado wrote: »
    +1

yeah no doubt about that...she should get gold

who do you think from the lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I think barnes could medal well

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cowzerp wrote: »
    I think barnes could medal well

Good choice.

Thing with olympics, worlds, euros etc, the talent and depth is so good, that no matter who you get, no matter what the draw, almost all fights are competitive. So, when we used to say "if he gets a good draw he'll go far," this to me means little.

With this in mind picking a fighter is very difficult. So, I go with styles, and to me JJN, although I am not crazy about his style, I see him as possibly our best chance.

• Advertisement

i hope after the olympics that davy oliver joyce goes pro...i think he could do well in the pro's and he has a great style....him and eric at lightweight is always a good scrap....who'll win this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Draw still does matter in fairness. In 2008 Darren (RIP) beat a guy from Virgin Isles to leave himself a fight with the Venezualen who beat him in 2007 worlds for a medal. Not saying it wasn't competitive but not fighting some fighters until semis is a help

Don't forget in 2008 all 5 Irish boxers lost to the eventual gold medalists, only 3 medaled.

JJN and Barnes with 'average' luck should medal IMO

i think the draw is absolutely crucial....

some fighters need to win a few before they get maximum confidence and they then get better and better

if a fighter like this meets a top russian or cuban in the first fight and loses then the draw has played a part...that same fighter could beat the russian if they met in the final as the guy will have a lot more confidence

the draw is critical in any sport....even soccer....look at irelands draw in the euros !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dodge wrote: »
    Draw still does matter in fairness. In 2008 Darren (RIP) beat a guy from Virgin Isles to leave himself a fight with the Venezualen who beat him in 2007 worlds for a medal. Not saying it wasn't competitive but not fighting some fighters until semis is a help

Don't forget in 2008 all 5 Irish boxers lost to the eventual gold medalists, only 3 medaled.

JJN and Barnes with 'average' luck should medal IMO

Yes, as regards "official world ratings" I think it's safe to say that some boxers are just better, but when we watch the fights, they are so so closely fought, that is my issue.

In the worlds in Nov, p4p great, Lomachenko @ 60 kgs was beaten by a fighter ranked much lower, a Brazilian. The fight was very competitive. The AIBA reversed the decision, which to me was grossly unfair.

Years' ago before serious qualification was introduced, a good draw really was significant, but now most of the "duds" are weeded out pre olympics, and mostly the cream are the ones competing.

Look at some Irish ams who are very good who don't even get to the games. That tells us how very competitive it is.

I guess my point is that the draw is a factor, but not near like it used to be.

some fights are close but others are not....some end in ko....some by wide point margins of 20 points or more.......the draw is crucial.....anyone at LW would want to avoid Lomachenko ....he will make a great pro and has nice power

• Advertisement
Advertisement