Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating Toys in Douglas area?

Options
  • 21-01-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

I have two large bags of toys (all great knick) that I would like to donate. It's too much hassle getting them into town so can anyone think of any charities in the Douglas/Carrigaline area that accept such items as donations?

I'm aware of the likes of Jumbletown but I'd rather give directly to a charity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I also have a big black bag of toys in the boot of my car for the last month suitable for under 3's. All in perfect nick also. Tried svp. They wouldn't take them. I asked the creche during the week and they said to drop them in. They always need toys they said. Try one near you maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 itsyuranan

The hospital might take them for the children's ward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i know some schools and creches take them if they have the CE mark on them, the only other way i could think of (we are in douglas too) was to put them in the charity bags that come through the door, or if you can catch one of the irish cancer society vans when they are going around and ask them to take them.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i know some schools and creches take them if they have the CE mark on them, the only other way i could think of (we are in douglas too) was to put them in the charity bags that come through the door, or if you can catch one of the irish cancer society vans when they are going around and ask them to take them.

Yep...I usually put them in the cancer society bag but we haven't got one of them in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep...I usually put them in the cancer society bag but we haven't got one of them in ages.

they called out our way last Tuesday...missed em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

itsyuranan wrote: »
    The hospital might take them for the children's ward?

Not since MRSA.
    Motorcyclists doing the annual toy run at christmas used to donate toys to the hospital but in recent years these went to other Charities, with cash donations accepted instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

What about Social Work Department at North or South Lee - I was speaking to one of the Social Workers at South Lee recently (based at St. Finbarrs Hospital, Douglas Road) and they are desperate for children's books and I would expect toys, to pass on to children who have basically "nothing". It may be worth calling them to see if they could take them. Good Luck. J

I bet there would be some kind of insurance issue with accepting "used" toys in case someone sues them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi Ludo - it would be worth calling them to ask, toys/books/games - I'm giving them a load of books in the next few weeks.

Advertisement