Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Britain Turns off Press TV!

• 21-01-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

They are really giving Iran a hard time. First those scientists oddly blow themselves up and now OFCOM decide to withdraw the licence to an Iranian TV station in Britain because they say the editorial policy is controlled from Tehran.

You wouldn't want the British to get both sides of the story would you Mr Cameron?

http://www.euronews.net/2012/01/20/britain-s-regulator-turns-off-iran-s-press-tv/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

<sips tea>

Dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Clearly a Zionist plot against peaceful Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dymo

Back button quick! quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I've never watched it but I miss it already :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Looks like the heat is really been turned up on the Iranians. Funny thing happened to me last week, my Paypal account was frozen by the American Office of Foreign Assets Control, because it was suspected that I had made a transaction to someone with links to Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

chin_grin wrote: »
    <sips tea>

Dreadful.

<scratches nut-sack with monocle>

I couldn't agree more, my man, what on earth is the world coming to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

grizzly wrote: »
    Looks like the heat is really been turned up on the Iranians. Funny thing happened to me last week, my Paypal account was frozen by the American Office of Foreign Assets Control, because it was suspected that I had made a transaction to someone with links to Iran.

Odd story. The yanks are going for the IR nations Iraq, Iran, Ir... (Gulp)

Iran is a country I would love to visit. I think its very different to how its portrayed in the west. Ive seen a few Iranian movies -surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Poor aul Ahmadinejad. What did he ever do on anybody!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

woodoo wrote: »
    Poor aul Ahmadinejad. What did he ever do on anybody!

Exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Iran is a country I would love to visit. I think its very different to how its portrayed in the west. Ive seen a few Iranian movies -surprisingly good.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart did a series of reports from Iran a while ago that were pretty good, just walking around talking to the locals and that. All I could find on youtube was this short interview about the reports but the clips themselves are up on the main site. (You have to use Hotspot Shield or some proxy thing to view them from here though.)

http://www.thedailyshow.com/videos/?term=+jason+jones+behind+the+veil&start=0 (proxy required)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anything to keep George Gallowey off the telly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

This is part of the ramp up to an attack on Iran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not really, PressTV have been operating in contravention of the OFCOM licence for some time. They aired an interview with Maziar Bahari which was very questionable to say this least of it (basically it was a live "confession") and broke OFCOM rules, they refused to pay the fine and have been "engineering" their own closing on SKY ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maziar_Bahari

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I always enjoyed some of the programs on that channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Seems to be a lot of this happening at the moment with the (French state owned) Eutalsat cutting off the controversial Kurdish channel Roj TV.

Its possible that Press TV is still on satellite but merely removed from UK EPG's <Goes off to check my non-$ky satellite box>

Kinda pointless action all the same given that Iranian propaganda is still available via shortwave radio or that internet thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

A weird precedence, how about Russia today or the Chinese one or fukcing Fox news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of this happening at the moment with the (French state owned) Eutalsat cutting off the controversial Kurdish channel Roj TV.

Its possible that Press TV is still on satellite but merely removed from UK EPG's <Goes off to check my non-$ky satellite box>

Kinda pointless action all the same given that Iranian propaganda is still available via shortwave radio or that internet thing.

And if it gone from Astra2 / Eurobird1 then it is available on lots of other satellites, Astra 1 at 19 East and Hotbird at 13 East are particularly easy to receive in UK and Ireland.

http://www.lyngsat-address.com/or/Press-TV.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's a pretty woeful "news" channel in fairness, and before anyone accuses me of being duped by Western propaganda, let me say that I find Al Jazeera to be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Good news IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I watched it the odd time, it was better then Sky or Fox news anyway. More Western censorship, and they bitch about other regimes and their censorship and lack of free press:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Why don't they ban Fox news with its blatant propaganda that comes out from dip****es like Bill O'Riely, Glenn Beck and that Hannity guy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I don't see the problem with this. First of all, they were in violation of the OFCOM ruling and secondly, and most importantly, if it were the other way round, Iran would have quickly shut down a UK station based in Iran. (and let's be honest, the UK wouldn't have been allowed to have a station in Iran in the first place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

charlemont wrote: »
    I always enjoyed some of the programs on that channel.

George Galloway's Comment was always a bit of a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    It's a pretty woeful "news" channel in fairness, and before anyone accuses me of being duped by Western propaganda, let me say that I find Al Jazeera to be excellent.

Al Jazeera is nothing but western propaganda. Hillary Clinton has given it her stamp of approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Al Jazeera is nothing but western propaganda. Hillary Clinton has given it her stamp of approval.

So,Hilary Clinton praised it's comprehensive coverage of the Arab Spring so therefore its western propaganda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    So,Hilary Clinton praised it's comprehensive coverage of the Arab Spring so therefore its western propaganda?

Hillary Clinton is an alien reptile hence whatever she endorses/praises is evil by default.

On a more serious note I find Al-jazeera no different from other western news channels only with a bit more coverage over the Palestine issue.

Press tv might not be to everyone's taste but atleast would give a slightly different view of the stories. Its pretty hypocritical to stand for freedom of while while shutting off opposing views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Stop the press

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

Russia today is next

Its possible that Press TV is still on satellite but merely removed from UK EPG's <Goes off to check my non-$ky satellite box>.
    And if it gone from Astra2 / Eurobird1 then it is available on lots of other satellites, Astra 1 at 19 East and Hotbird at 13 East are particularly easy to receive in

Nope its completly gone from 28 East (dont have the wherewithall atm to check other satellites)

I wonder is Iran jamming the BBC world service these days ?
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Good news IMO.

Thought you believed in free speech ?

On the other hand a few years ago the Daily Express (spits) were calling on the UK govvernment to bomb their studios (overlooking the fact that it was located in a country generally considered to be a Western ally) and branding the channel as evil peddlers of hate (which is a tad hysterical even if one subscribes to the takes one to know one school of criticism)
    NinjaK wrote: »
    I watched it the odd time, it was better then Sky or Fox news anyway. More Western censorship, and they bitch about other regimes and their censorship and lack of free press:rolleyes:

Then again given that in Iran the mere posession of a satellite dish can land your ass in jail (unless one happens to be a card carrying regieme loyalist and/or* wealthy enough to buy off the local cops) and signals of particularly objectionable (to the state) broadcasts are routinely jammed I dont think Press TV are in too much of a position to go throwing stones?

* Its usually a matter of "and"

[TL : DR] Basically just about all parties in this sorry state of affairs are utter hypocrites and complete bastards[/]

• Advertisement

Nope its completly gone from 28 East (dont have the wherewithall atm to check other satellites)

I wonder is Iran jamming the BBC world service these days ?

It's still on the other satellites. The BBC Persian Service (radio) is currently not being jammed. BBC Persian TV is also free of jamming at present and I can see it on 7 East and 15 West.

grizzly wrote: »
    Funny thing happened to me last week, my Paypal account was frozen by the American Office of Foreign Assets Control, because it was suspected that I had made a transaction to someone with links to Iran.

Ive made lots of transactions with someone with links to Iran.
    Theres a guy from there working in my local shop

Should I be worried ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

I know an Iranian. Am I a terrorist?

I used to have an Iranian housemate but he didnt last very long. In fact he moved out and was on a boat back to England in just under 24 hours. I didnt realise I smelt that bad :confused:
    I know an Iranian. Am I a terrorist?

In the biblical sense ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

We are all free to watch and listen to only what they want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement