Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drowning in Cables, Connections and Pain....

• 21-01-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I can't really find an answer to my multiparted problem on the boards, despite hours reading!

I went a little credit card happy when purchasing a saorview TV for my parents in the sales. They had an ancient skybox, which should have been enough for them, but they wanted a second tv.

I bought a 42d552 Samsung (http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40D5520RKXXU) from powercity on Stephen's Day.
    The mulled wine went to my head, saw a Philips hts2500 (http://www.philips.ie/c/home-theater-systems/immersive-sound-dvd-playback-hts2500_05/prd/?t=specifications) on sale, clicked buy and checkout!
    I never checked the connections or compatibility, so my bad. And we have ancient sky box.

Now I have multiple problems.

TV has only digital audio optical out.
    Connected skybox to tv via Scart via scart connector thing that came with TV.
    Connected skybox with red/white audio cables to soundsystem so sound goes directly to it - this only works in 2.1, which is to be expected.
    Connected sound system/dvd player to television via YUV connector to a special convertor thing that can with television - can't get any picture. But DVD plays as hear music on sound system.

So, what should I do now?

Options:

1. Should I get sky HD box? Is this worth the extra expense? My parents are amazed at flat screen techonology, I doubt they'll notice HD difference, or should we just do the full hog?
    The sky hd box, I presume, connects to the TV via HDMI, but won't have a seperate audio out to sound system, and should be connected to sound system via tv? But still have TV to sound system problem.

2. Should I get a digitial audio optical to coaxial converter? Will this actually play 5.1 sound?

3. Should I put philips sound system back into a box (unfortunately my mother threw out all packaging) and put it on ebay or something, and go purchase a new hdmi connecting soundsystem?

Thanks a million.
    Happy to spend more to get system working.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You'll get a Sky HD box on Adverts.ie for about 50 quid, just ring Sky to pair the card with the new box, there's no need to pay for the HD package unless you really want to. You will get BBC HD, BBC1 HD and UTV HD without as they are free.

That home cinema system is a DVD player with speakers, there is only a stereo input, no optical in or inputs for surround, it only outputs surround from the disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    That home cinema system is a DVD player with speakers, there is only a stereo input, no optical in or inputs for surround, it only outputs surround from the disk

+1 Serious lack of connectors on that Philips box. Are there audio 'out' phono (red & white) sockets on the TV? if so then you could connect the TV to the Philips and probably get surround sound through the speakers with the TV volume turned down. Alternatively the Sky box might have phono audio out sockets, you'd probably have to manually sync the picture with the sound via menus on the Sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Feel a bit stupid for buying the philips set in the first place without any thought- given that I spent 3 months trying to get the ideal system for my own getup.

Talked to sky - free box and set up with hd package for a year - 15/month = 180. So went with that, can cancel HD package after 12 months.

Unfortunately TV just has digital audio out, I can't see a hdmi out, and it defo doesn't have red/white audio out.

I think I'll just sell that philips one on, and get a new system with digital audio in.

Does the TV have composite (Pr/Y/Pb) video in ports? I downloaded the manual but bizarrely there's no images of the connectors on the TV.

Yes it does, via this connector thing, but I can't get it to work,

• Advertisement

Do you mean you have some kind of adapter? Did it come with the TV or did you buy it? What goes into the TV from the connector/adapter and what's at the TV end of the cable??

It came with the tv. You put the YUV connectors into it, and it connects in a bit like a 2 pronged headphone jack.

On the back of the TV it will have an input name, you'l have to manually select that input on the TV remote. You probably also need to look at the video setup menu on the DVD player.

Advertisement