Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glanxty last night...

Options
  • 21-01-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Donal Lunny, Liam Óg, Andy Irvine and Paddy Glackin at Vicar Street? Anyone make it? Second half was one of the best things I've seen Liam Óg is just a genius, without doubt the greatest piper of his generation. Hardly a dry eye in the house for the West Coast of Clare at the end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,099 ✭✭✭squonk

Sounds like a cracking gig. Are they touring? I'd love to see them here in Galway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yeh I was there too. Such a great gig. Andy's As I Roved Out was fantastic too, as were the usual Blacksmith and "The Starting Gate" or whatever they chose to call it on the night!

I like the term "Glanxty" by the way, for absence of a better name I was describing them as 3/4 of Planxty + 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Can't claim credit for that one, nicked it off a mate ;)

Foggy Notions aka Leagues O'Toole was promoting it I think, according to his twitter "there are more shows on the horizon", I'd keep an eye out:

http://twitter.com/foggynotions

Heard a rumour that there's going to be some kind of mega show for Andy's 70th in the next couple of months as well, should be pretty much unmissable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

That sounds cool. I would appreciate it if you could post anything you hear about that on here. I'll do the same. Cheers.

As much as I liked those four lads, I still think Christy would add something extra to the line-up. I don't think it's going to happen though sadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Will do.

Yeah, the chemistry in Planxty was special ... nearly go so far as to say perfect. I did say to my buddy at one point on Friday that I thought they were short a front-man, great and all as the music was. Suppose it was more one for the purists, but I still would have taken a full Planxty show any day of the week.

Apparently Christy's set on doing his own thing at the moment, but I find it hard to believe that there will never be another reunion of some sort - saw himself and Declan Sinnott at Vicar Street as well, also great ... but a very different beast from Friday, can't imagine Little Honda 50 fitting in anywhere with the lads, somehow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement