Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding Personal Statement

Options
  • 21-01-2012 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently in the process on doing my Personal statement in which I have to include with my CAO applicant as a Mature Student.

I read the thread that sticky'd up top of this section which advised to checkout thestudentroom.com,
    And It put the sh*ts into me. I am hoping to do Computer Science come September in Tallaght I.T,
    I have been to the open day and spoken to the Head of Computing on a few occasions and they have given me fairly positive feedback.

Reading the Personal Statement on thestudentroom.com, I find it very difficult to relate too as my situation is completely different.
    I had a very bad leaving cert, In which I failed Maths.
    Since than I have gone completed an apprenticeship as an Electrician and decided that I want to educate myself further and do Computers.

Computers has always interested me and being in College for Phase 4 and 6 of my apprenticeship I found a great desire to Study and work hard.
    I also enjoyed College life,
    Back when I did my leaving cert I didn't have an interest in educating myself but now I couldn't be a more different person.

I am currently doing the ECDL course in the evenings through Fas (not by choice,) I wanted to do a more advanced course but they would not let me and made me do the ECDL first. Aswell as that I am doing an Online course (for the simple reason I can finish it quicker) so I can do more Computer courses before June (the interview.)
    People on "thestudentroom.com" are leaving me for dust,
    They have all done courses in programming and web design and I am ashamed and embarrassed to say in my PS that I am doing the ECDL.

Tallaght IT have been understanding of my situation and have met me before, One lady even at the Evening course open night told me she would nearly guarantee I would get in giving my background in the Electrical industry....

Am I in trouble here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Am I in trouble here?

I would say absolutely not. I think it admirable what you are doing and I do think you stand a very good chance of getting in. Plus, you have succinctly put why you want to do computers, that is half the battle. A lot of people do it the subject, but don't like it and therefore are utterly rubbish at it.

And don't be embarrassed about the ECDL, for goodness sake! I have a masters, I lecture in computers and I have completed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OP...I think you're a good way down the road to making a great personal statement if your post above is anything to go by...you are showing determination, willingness to learn, to try new things, to try and find solutions or work arounds when presented with a problem...you come across very natural and honest...all good elements of a mature student...the college want to know is this person going to last the distance? Do they deserve a place? You are certainly showing that you do...the rest is up to the college...forget about other people and focus on yourself ...best of success for this application.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I totally agree with Tom Dunne and Cicero. Your post reads like a personal statement. You have to remember a personal statement is personal to you. You use those websites to give you an idea on how to structure your PS but yours will read differently to everyone else who applies to the course.

The personal statement is the most difficult part of the application process, well I found anyway. Just expand on what you've written in the post above for your PS and you'll be flying.

Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Thank you to you guys for the taking the time out to comment on my thread,
    Having read your comments earlier it really put my heart at ease and I just completed my Personal statement.

Although I have e-mailed to a few friends, Who have done this before I am waiting to hear back! I took your advise on sending it to a few close and honest friends Larianne!

I'm just wondering would it be possible if you could have a quick look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I know I'm late to the party op :) but some basic things to cover in your statement would be:

What interests you about the field you have chosen?
    How have you developed your interest?
    How does your previous work or education relate to your chosen courses?
    What are your long terms aims?

I wouldn't worry unduly about your Leaving Cert maths. To qualify as a Sparks you need a good level of maths ability which you must have. :)

Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement