Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All web browsers are crashing after launching

Options
  • 21-01-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all! Can anybody help me with this browser related problem?

2 days ago, all of my browsers (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari) suddenly stopped launching. When I try to open any of these browsers I get the popup dialog with... "Firefox has stopped working" or "Chrome has stopped working" etc., etc.

Just to be clear, on Firefox, sometimes the actual browser window pops up greyed out in the background with the "Opps! Well this is embarrasing" and the list of websites to restore (if the browser didn't crash of course)

So here's a list of things I have tried, without any luck!

1. The first thing I did was to restore the PC back to the last clean backup, but the problem didn't go away
    2. Started the computer in Safe Mode, still nothing!
    3. Next, I scanned the PC with malwareBytes, found and removed a few nasties, but browsers still didn't open
    4. Then, I ran Super AntiSpyware, which again cleaned up a bunch of stuff, still didn't solve the problem
    5. System Mechanic Professional was next! PC is running like a charm now, but the browsers still don't want to open

Absolutely nothing has made this problem go away and i'm pulling my hair out here! Could there be something hidden in the startup that is disabling all the browsers in one go?

If anybody has any advice, i'd really appreciate it!

regards
    Decbrad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Can you see anything in Event Viewer that will tell you what's happening?

Have you tried opening the browsers in safe mode? (In Accessories there's an option to start Internet Explorer without add ons).

I was going to suggest adware/spyware. I'd highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials to scan and remove any lingering worms\viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭decbrad

Hey Chin, thanks for getting in touch! I tried the IE without addons option. No luck IE crashed straight away!

I had a look in the Event log and it says something about a manifest error! Whatever that is? I thought running System Mechanic Professional would have sorted that out anyway!

Gonna download Microsoft SE now and see if it helps!

Thanks again!
    D

What were the exact details of the error?

This System Mechanic Professional is just to boost your system not fix it. I don't trust any of these "tune-up" programs.

Try an mse scan to see if that helps.

Hey Chin! I'm running mse now. I'll let you know how I get on!

cheers!

Hey Chin... nope! Sorry to say, MSE didn't cut it!

I just tried to open up Firefox and Safari. here's the error log... Is there another error log that would give better details? These are from Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application.

I'm trying to remember which error log where I saw the earlier Manifest error

Faulting application name: firefox.exe, version: 9.0.1.4371, time stamp: 0x4ef15e74
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000417
    Fault offset: 0x0054e1fd
    Faulting process id: 0x12b0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ccd857893a5180
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: c93c7cd6-444a-11e1-81c8-00256476b897

Faulting application name: Safari.exe, version: 5.33.19.4, time stamp: 0x4cd2131b
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000417
    Fault offset: 0x0065e1fd
    Faulting process id: 0xc58
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ccd857c01d087e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Safari\Safari.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: 001cab63-444b-11e1-81c8-00256476b897

Cheers!
    Dec

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try running a Malwarebytes anti malware scan (Make sure to update it on launch!), does sound like somethings still not right! What firewall software/if any are you using?

Nick

Hi Nick, I already scanned the PC with Malwarebytes. I didn't need to run an updater as it did it automatically. Is there another updater that I need to run for Malwarebytes?

I have been using an out of date version of Macafee. The firewall still functions though. I just updated it to the Microsoft Security Essention firewall on the recomendation of Chin above.

Cheers for you help!

Ok, I think it's time to start from the bare minimum regarding anti-virus programs.

Don't install more then one. It might clash\cause stability issues\not pickup errors correctly.

I'd remove that old version of mcafee. Just have one installed (of course I'd recommend mse!).

The likes of Malwarebytes are grand to have in tandem, but the "big company" ones (norton, mcafee, etc) do not do well with other programs.

Also run scans from safe mode just to be careful. (Tap F8 on boot).

Hi Chin,
    Okay, the old Macaffee is uninstalled. I just have Microsoft Defender and SE running / protecting the PC now. Went into Safe mode as suggested and tried to open Firefox. I opened for about 5 seconds and then crashed. Any thoughts as to why???

At the moment I am running the scans in safe mode! Hopefully this works! I'll let you know!

cheers
    Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 1 epmd4life

The problem is there is a rootkit. Go get Kaperkys Antirootkit Utility - http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363
    and rename the executable after you extract to something like go.exe and run as administrator. After it detects it, cure it and reboot. Hope this helps!!!

• Advertisement

Hey again chin! Still no luck with the browsers. Ran the scan in safe mode and still have the problem! Gonna try the rootkit as suggested below

Thanks again!

Great! Gonna give it a shot! cheers... fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

One other thing to try, hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
    Do you have a firewall? Which one, BTW?
    Try disabling firewall and starting browsers, just in case its a setting there.

Advertisement