Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for 8mb NGB only getting 1mb

Options
  • 21-01-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Got a free upgrade to NGB broadband but have checked the speed on the router and it says 1024kb, how do I change this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

If you are getting *important* 8 Mb or 8 megabits of broadband, that is in bits, which divided by 8 (as you do) will give you 1 MB or 1 MegaByte of data going down your line. It would seem your speed is indeed what is advertised.

See your bandwidth is your speed in Mb divided by 8, and 1 MB is your resulting download speed.

Make sure that you are indeed meant to be getting 8 MegaBytes, or just 8 MegaBits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Check your speed here to make sure, and post your results.

http://speedtest.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oraange

Thanks

But the speed is the same as before when it was 1mb advertised versus the 8 now on NGB.

therefore do I need to do anything on the router ti speed it up? Or should the line be automatically doing this?

Test Date: Jan 21, 2012 18:14
    Connection Type: Wifi
    Server: Dublin
    Download: 0.83 Mbps
    Upload: 0.10 Mbps
    Ping: 192 ms

Also when I look at the connection speed on the router it says 1024kb

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Oraange wrote: »
    Test Date: Jan 21, 2012 18:14
    Connection Type: Wifi
    Server: Dublin
    Download: 0.83 Mbps
    Upload: 0.10 Mbps
    Ping: 192 ms

Also when I look at the connection speed on the router it says 1024kb

Do you have your router plugged into the main phone point of the house if not plug the router into the main phone point in your house normally the one in your hallway and run a speed test again.

• Advertisement

It's the one in hall...

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

why were you on the 1mb package previously?
    was it that you chose that package or was it that it was the only one available

if your line could only take 1mb and you moved to the NGB package your line still only supports 1mb so you wont see any increase in speed

Hi

Have been on the broadband for over 5 years, so originally had the 1mb basic package. They (eircom) put us up free of charge to the NGB basic and had written
    Out stating that, however the speed is not there.

By the way I'm in Dublin and have already checked the number to make sure it was upgraded on the area to NGB.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

Hi

Have been on the broadband for over 5 years, so originally had the 1mb basic package. They (eircom) put us up free of charge to the NGB basic and had written
    Out stating that, however the speed is not there.

By the way I'm in Dublin and have already checked the number to make sure it was upgraded on the area to NGB.

Could I make a suggestion as to a quick check of your lines capability, go on to the Eircom Broadband page put your phone number in the “Find products for my Line” the results of that long list that appears in the address bar at the end will show the speed your line is set at what they call prequal speed,

Similar to these result of my own linespeed here “linespeed=6144&invalid=0&ngb=false”
    My line prequal speed is 6144kbps with no NGB

My router stats are speed 7168kbps down 384kbps up
    Line attenuation db17 down and db9 up
    As you can see with low line attenuation my profile will support slightly higher in my case 7168kbps on a line prequel of 6144 kbps

If your prequal linespeed is in 1024kbps region well that is all you will be able get on that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Got a free upgrade to NGB broadband but have checked the speed on the router and it says 1024kb, how do I change this?

Thanks

I phoned customer service and had them allow a better speed ..... apparently someone decided my line was not capable of anything greater than what I had prior to the upgrade (3Mb/s) ..... or so I was told.

I am presently synced at 6144/512 (kbps)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

could simply be the fact that your speed profile hasnt been changed yet tbh

Shin

Thanks,

guess i just need to contact customer support and see what happens.

Thanks everyone

Oraange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks,

Thanks everyone

Oraange

Hi Oraange,

Thanks for posting on the eircom /Boards Forum.

If you PM me with your home phone number I will confirm what broadband package and current *NGB profile you're on. It sounds as though you may be on your optimum or best broadband profile for your phone line.

Note: *NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.
    NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases). ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. See www.ngb.ie for more information.

Best wishes,
    Ant

PM sent

Thanks,

Thanks everyone

Oraange

Hi Oraange,

Thanks for posting on the eircom /Boards Forum.

If you PM me with your home phone number I will confirm what broadband package and current *NGB profile you're on. It sounds as though you may be on your optimum or best broadband profile for your phone line.

Note: *NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.
    NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases). ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. See www.ngb.ie for more information.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Any update on this please?

Oraange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Any update on this please?

Oraange

Hi Oraange,

Thanks for your PM.

The quickest way to check what is your best available Broadband package / or to view which other broadband products are available / is to enter your phone number on our website below :

Find Best Broadband Package

The following options appear to be the optimum broadband packages available to you :

Recommended Broadband Packages

Please note you can avail of further savings if you upgrade online :

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/onlineoffers

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Thanks Ant for that info telling me all about the Eircom products.

But you didn't answer the question.

I am on the 8mb NGB package but I'm only getting 1mb speed. I want this to be sorted out.

If this is not currently available then that is fine, I have others options that can offer much greater speeds than 1mb.

Thanks

Oraange

I am on the 8mb NGB package but I'm only getting 1mb speed. I want this to be sorted out.

If this is not currently available then that is fine, I have others options that can offer much greater speeds than 1mb.

Thanks

Oraange

Hello Eircom Support

Still waiting here.....

Oraange

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hello Eircom Support

Still waiting here.....

Oraange

did they get back to you?

A family member is in your position - was moved to NGB but is still coming out at 0.86Mbps broadband in speedtest - exact same as when he was on the old 1Mb package.

With ref to Hazchem's post the line appears to be well able for NGB if I'm reading it right - and NBG has been applied given the "true":

linespeed=12288&invalid=0&ngb=true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

If they set the line to no more than 1Mb then that must be all that it can handle NGB doesn't change that it only gives better speeds and service to people living close to the exchange and that has a short phoneline.

The only way you can check if the line is able for more is to ring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

jay93 wrote: »
    If they set the line to no more than 1Mb then that must be all that it can handle NGB doesn't change that it only gives better speeds and service to people living close to the exchange and that has a short phoneline.

The only way you can check if the line is able for more is to ring them.

Well that suggests Hazchem's post above is incorrect in relation to testing your linespeed and Eircom thanked him for that post...following his suggestion the line I am talking about is well able for greater speed..and johnboy1951's experience suggests it might be stupidity in Eir om rather than line limitation in certain cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks

Oraange

Hi Oraange,

I have been looking into your connection / sync and it seems as though you were right, the speed seemed be provisioned at 1MB from the exchange.

I have had that increased to 3MB, which is the max the line can handle given the distance your address if from the exchange (in terms of how the telephone lines are laid - Not direct line of sight)

Can you monitor the speed and connection over the next 24 hours and get back to me if you have ant issues.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement