Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sheep numbers

• 21-01-2012 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have 36 hectares of which 20 is commonage and the rest is lowloand. How many sheep can I keep (my reps planner is unsure)

Thanks.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

well the commonage will have a set stocking rate as in 4 ewes per ha or something so you cant push for production there just have to do what your told really..,

on the low land it all depends i currently am running seven ewes to the hectare but this is mainly reseeded ground you should get 100 ewes easily on the 16 hectares and a good lot more if ya wanted to push the boat out !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 donalpgalvin

Thanks for the information, just wondering where would be the best place to contact to get the exact numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

Thanks for the information, just wondering where would be the best place to contact to get the exact numbers?

well to be honest your the only man for that answer...i was the same way myself so all you can do is try a rough figure the first year and gauge how the land is coping ie: do you have too much silage or hay or are you having to put out alot of fertilizer and adjust your stocking levels to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

Outside of your own management capabilties to handle a very intensive stocking rate, the nitrates directive will be your limiting factor.

On the commonage you will have to stay within the stocking limits outlined by the relevant commonage framework plan. On the lowland you can stock your land to 170kgs organic nitrogen per Ha (250 kgs under a nitrates derogation). Each lowland ewe and her lambs will contribute 13kgs org N per Ha per year (EU Nitrates calculation). This means you can have up to 13 ewes per Ha within the 170kg Nitrates limit (19 under a derogation - which requires a derogation plan to be drawn up).

Of course theres all the other considerations to go along with a high stocking rate, management, housing, storage of waste during this housing period, etc etc. Your Reps planner should have been able to tell you this in a second......

Advertisement