Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

moyners wrote: »
    Right across the road from a brand new Aldi! I wonder will that impact on them getting planning?

Not as much of an effect as the objections from the landlord in Wilton shopping center

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

traffic mayhem over there so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

insanity if that Lidl gets permission. The Aldi was bad enough! Traffic will be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

I would have thought that site too small... unless they have the site behind it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Jippo wrote: »
    I would have thought that site too small... unless they have the site behind it too.

Just drove past and they have an aerial photo marked on the sold sign. The house behind are included in the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

moyners wrote: »
    Just drove past and they have an aerial photo marked on the sold sign. The house behind are included in the site.

I was thinking they would need the house behind alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I notice now that the its shoetime shoe shops have closed,one on Patrick st and another on oliver plunkett st leaving about 4 or 5 vacant units at the top of the main street in cork.

"Starbucks: Coming Soon" signs gone up in Douglas Village shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Was able to see in the door as I was passing and it looked much smaller in there than I'd have thought.

Was walking past earlier and they've started working on the front of the shop now where the green hoarding was; looks like they're putting in windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

JohnK wrote: »
    Was walking past earlier and they've started working on the front of the shop now where the green hoarding was; looks like they're putting in windows.

What unit is it going into?

What unit is it going into?

The corner facing the entrance to Marks and Spencers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Patrick St cafe now open! Douglas next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

ongarboy wrote: »
    Patrick St cafe now open! Douglas next!

that was one quick turnaround. I think we can safely assume that the planning issue wasnt sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Douglas village shopping center is a funny one. I mean they only have Quigleys, o briens, puccinis, m&s... (Is there a Gloria jeans as well?) inside that building already. Fierce shortage!

Yeah Gloria Jeans is up by the entrance to Tesco. I suppose once tkmax opens there's not all that much down that end of the centre, only the m&s and puccinos.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

JohnK wrote: »
    Yeah Gloria Jeans is up by the entrance to Tesco. I suppose once tkmax opens there's not all that much down that end of the centre, only the m&s and puccinos.

Didn't realise tkmaxx was going in to the sc too!
    Poor Douglas Court is being left behind, looked grim inside when I was there at Christmas. Needs a facelift or a big brand coup to bring it to life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Gotta disagree with that. Douglas Court still much better than Douglas Village IMHO. That Dunnes infinitely better than Tesco and a fine selection of shops in the Court also. Can't say I see it looking grim in any way to be honest.

Didn't realise tkmaxx was going in to the sc too!
    Yeah supposed to be going in where Tesco used to be in the old SC so pretty much from the current BOI up about as far as the post office; should be a big enough store once they actually go ahead with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

that was one quick turnaround. I think we can safely assume that the planning issue wasnt sorted.

Or ignored?

They seem to be chancing their arm on the council not being able to realistically enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Arent they due to go into Albert Quay as well

Eventually they'll open starbucks inside other starbucks..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

StonyIron wrote: »
    Eventually they'll open starbucks inside other starbucks..

Starbuckception

YouTube search Time Trumpet Tesco for a look at where we're headed (BBC comedy clip)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭afriendlyshark

Apparently Starbucks open up about 6 cafes when they infiltrate a new city to close down smaller cafes, and then when that's done they'll close down their less popular cafes. Opening 3 in 6 months shows that they're on their way to that! While I don't even drink coffee, and wouldn't go near Starbucks if I did, I'd prefer there to be a Starbucks than an empty unit. The top of Patricks Street is so desolate and bare looking, not a good first impression when entering the city imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭thomil

That was apparently denied back in January, according to this article:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/starbucks-to-open-first-cork-city-centre-store-305727.html

Whether that is still the case or they've done a U-Turn on that decision remains to be seen, however.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

The Douglas one is looking very close to opening, they've got it all set up on the inside and branding on some of the windows; no sign overhead yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Apparently Starbucks open up about 6 cafes when they infiltrate a new city to close down smaller cafes, and then when that's done they'll close down their less popular cafes. Opening 3 in 6 months shows that they're on their way to that! While I don't even drink coffee, and wouldn't go near Starbucks if I did, I'd prefer there to be a Starbucks than an empty unit. The top of Patricks Street is so desolate and bare looking, not a good first impression when entering the city imo
    You can't know for sure that's their intention without hearing from an inside source though?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭afriendlyshark

TheChizler wrote: »
    You can't know for sure that's their intention without hearing from an inside source though?

Well I never said it's fact, but it's apparently what they do. My boyfriend was told it by a barista, so it must be something that is rumoured in coffee shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My boyfriend was told it by a barista, so it must be something that is rumoured in coffee shops.
    I have no doubt that much is true!

Advertisement