Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

It's consistent because a machine makes your coffee, not an actual person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

Dave147 wrote: »
    Why not mention it to the owner instead of not going back there? Might've been a new barista?

So it's OK that my €3 was wasted because she's a new barista? Shouldn't the "barista" be trained first before being allowed to make cappuccinos and waste customers money?

I'm sure their plain black coffee is nice. But I usually get cappuccinos when out and about as it's something I can't make at home.

Anyway, I was off down the street when I noticed the foam was only 1mm thick. Couldn't go back.
    horgan_p wrote: »
    In fairness , you can get one iffy coffee anywhere.

Never once had an iffy one in Coffee Roasters as I mentioned already. There's something they're doing that other cafes around town aren't bothering to do. Perhaps they take their time making coffee, or the milk is at the correct temperature and foamed for the right amount of time. Not sure. But I get the feeling that other cafes just couldn't be arsed.
    calnand wrote: »

I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't recall Starbucks ever using bean to cup machines.
    Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

nomeban wrote: »
    So it's OK that my €3 was wasted because she's a new barista? Shouldn't the "barista" be trained first before being allowed to make cappuccinos and waste customers money?

Again, it would have been better if you voiced your opinion as the barista may be unaware that there was an issue and continue to make them like that.

I could understand not returning if they caused a scene saying they wouldn't make you a new one - but it's much better to say something than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Maybe it's just me, but I like to give new businesses a chance, as I said, my latte on Wednesday wasn't filled enough. I will say it to the guy next time I'm there, directly and politely. I believe if everyone had this attitude then people would get along better and businesses would thrive more as they would know when they've made a mistake, rather than just lose a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never knew that.
    I thought they were fairly big on barista training.

The only time I ever frequent Starbucks is in airports.

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Again, it would have been better if you voiced your opinion as the barista may be unaware that there was an issue and continue to make them like that.

When I get a coffee-to-go I put a cap on it and head off. That is how you do a "coffee to go". But from now on I will take your advice and stick around while I have a taste.

Also, I think a barista would know that the foam is not foam when he/she is pouring it. So if there was an issue with a machine, it would have been spotted.

Perhaps the barista is new. But if the barista is in new, then why is she making a coffee for me? Experimenting until she gets it right?

Basically, in Cork it's hit and miss.

And to keep the thread on topic, I'm glad Starbucks is coming. Same as McDonalds, a hamburger in Paris will taste the exact same as a hamburger in Co Donegal. I will know what to expect from Starbucks. But when I walk into a Cork cafe, you have no idea how good or shyte it will be, even if you got a good coffee from them last week. This is what most Cork cafes need to sort out if they want to survive Starbucks. It's what I was talking about in my post earlier - consistency.

Dave147 wrote: »

I will say it to the guy next time I'm there, directly and politely. I believe if everyone had this attitude then people would get along better and businesses would thrive more as they would know when they've made a mistake, rather than just lose a customer.

Fair point, but I don't have time to train baristas around Cork.

If I get a bad coffee from a cafe, I won't go there again. Same as most folk I think.

I mean there are 7 million places to get coffee in Cork. Why would I return to the place I got shyte coffee, and tell them "I didn't like your coffee last time, can you please do this that and the other etc. and make it better?"

I would just go to another cafe instead.

Over in america they don't have those machines, it's only the filter machines. I've only been in the starbucks in Kildare so maybe the ones in cork are different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

the thread title?

You took something which was talking about the wider scope in Cork and brought it back to one Coffee Shop. Talk about avoiding my question.

Anyhow, bring on competition and i believe any coffee shop can compete. The strong, innovative and good will survive. It's not a given right just because you are a coffee shop that no other can open in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

They seem to have started work on the Starbucks premises on Princes Street. I passed yesterday and the windows have that 'sunblock' on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Over in america they don't have those machines, it's only the filter machines. I've only been in the starbucks in Kildare so maybe the ones in cork are different.

No, they've moved their entire business over to semiautomated machines to ensure consistency. They're used everywhere and they made a big song and dance to shareholders about introducing them a few years ago.

The logic of it is that while the barista has some control, the basics are handled by the machine so there's less risk of a bad coffee.

These food businesses all aim to standardise and systematise things to remove the need for expert staff.

If you want a real artisan coffee made by a genuine barista using skills, stick with a local place like Coffee Roasters, Filter, Gusto, etc

As for chains : Costa and Insomnia also use real machines and still uses skills! Their flat white is very definitely superior to Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

Anyone know about Starbucks employment and training policies ? Heard a disturbing story about a lad - with previous experience - who was accepted for training. Things went ok for a couple of days but then the trainers - there were six of them - began to mess him around. Each one would have a little twist on the procedure leaving him open to criticism from the next trainer watching his progress. It looks like they can actually get together and, based on whether or not they like you , decree whether or not you get to keep the job. Cork this was btw.

lapsed wrote: »
    Anyone know about Starbucks employment and training policies ? Heard a disturbing story about a lad - with previous experience - who was accepted for training. Things went ok for a couple of days but then the trainers - there were six of them - began to mess him around. Each one would have a little twist on the procedure leaving him open to criticism from the next trainer watching his progress. It looks like they can actually get together and, based on whether or not they like you , decree whether or not you get to keep the job. Cork this was btw.

Well you could be talking while you are being examined on your coffee making skills and mention.. based on what x has taught me i will make the Latte this way or based on what y has taught me i will make the cappuccino this way.
    Then it becomes a two way learning process and not one way. I presume Starbucks will want to gain as much as possible from this training.
    If any of the employees have an issue with the trainee barista then it should be raised with management/hr. As ultimately, if the trainee is open about who has taught them what it will fall on the current staff.

Well you could be talking while you are being examined on your coffee making skills and mention.. based on what x has taught me i will make the Latte this way or based on what y has taught me i will make the cappuccino this way.
    Then it becomes a two way learning process and not one way. I presume Starbucks will want to gain as much as possible from this training.
    If any of the employees have an issue with the trainee barista then it should be raised with management/hr. As ultimately, if the trainee is open about who has taught them what it will fall on the current staff.

It's a tad late now…..he's out. He had no chance to say anything as each time he asked about his progress he was given the ok. I think it was just bitchiness myself…face fits or not kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hearesay & supposition....lets keep to the facts please

Andip wrote: »
    Hearesay & supposition....lets keep to the facts please

A bit closer home than that actually, but I won't go into it.

And as a matter of interest…who fires someone at 11 o'clock at night ??

Depends on the industry... time doesn't stop people from getting fired.
    I think this might start to get personal against Starbucks so it might be worth taking a break from this thread:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thought I was clear enough.............:confused:

I dont mind leaving the thread open for general discussion, but I'm not allowing any allegations being made against Starbucks or any other coffee store for that matter. Keep to the general discussion please or I'll personally give you a coffee break from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I cannot comment on that other than to say that in my experience such behaviour would not be entirely alien to the American school of labour relations. I know of a case in Ireland where an American company plotted something simiar to get rid of an Irish employee. The employee accidentally stumbled on the plot, collected written evidence and screwed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭thomil

I just walked through Princes Street about an hour ago, and the Starbucks there opened today. Not too much of a crowd when I was in there, but that'll probably pick up over the next weeks and months. Like the shop front though. Rather discrete, and it fits in quite well imho.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Haven't seen it in person, but saw a picture of it on facebook, the shop facade really suits the street, very restrained compared to some of their stores. I'm surprised at how quietly and quickly it opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

I'm surprised at how quietly and quickly it opened up.

Commercial fit-outs can happen insanely fast when people want things done. Restaurants can close for just a day or two to completely gut the interior and refit it. A big company like Starbucks probably has one or two design offices designing cafe fit-outs in Europe, they might do forty or fifty a year with the same materials and fittings so they're extremely fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Commercial fit-outs can happen insanely fast when people want things done. Restaurants can close for just a day or two to completely gut the interior and refit it. A big company like Starbucks probably has one or two design offices designing cafe fit-outs in Europe, they might do forty or fifty a year with the same materials and fittings so they're extremely fast.

That and there was a huge crew in there - I counted about a dozen or more in there last week when I passed by.

Staff were handing out freebies on Princes Street yesterday evening. Some sort of ice cream thingie from what I could see. I didn't take one as it would only spoil my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭chaoskitten_DF

Does anyone know what the opening times are?
    I'm hoping they stay open later than 6pm (I know the Webworkhouse do but they're nearly always full and I'm really not keen on the place itself because it's usually boiling and filled with second-hand smoke from outside anytime I'm there :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The second store in Opera Lane (in the restored house on Emmet Place) should open fairly soon too. The company that's in there at the moment is doing a stock clearance sale and I don't think the fit out will take very long. It's actually probably better suited to coffee retail than clothing retail as it's a very quirky shaped building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Haven't seen it in person, but saw a picture of it on facebook, the shop facade really suits the street, very restrained compared to some of their stores. I'm surprised at how quietly and quickly it opened up.

Someone posted this on twitter, looks good.
    342456.jpg

As for opening times, I'd be surprised if they didn't match the one in Citygate - think they're 7am to 10pm. Then again, that might be wishful thinking.

Advertisement