Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bye Bye La Senza!

• 21-01-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Logged on to the La Senza page today to find that the whole business has closed down:
    La Senza Ltd in administration ("the Company")
    Joint administrators - David Standish, Richard Fleming and Rob Croxen

David Standish, Richard Fleming and Rob Croxen were appointed joint administrators of the
    Company on 9 January 2012.

Following their appointment the administrators sold 60 stores to Alshaya UK Limited. The
    remainder of the stores have closed and the internet business has ceased operating
    immediately upon the administrators' appointment.

The administrators are using their reasonable endeavours to send out all internet orders which
    had already been processed and packaged, however all orders not processed at appointment
    cannot be fulfilled and therefore will be cancelled and no funds taken from customers.

If you have any outstanding returns that have not been refunded or replaced at the date of
    administration, in accordance with the insolvency legislation, you will need to make an
    unsecured creditor claim in the administration.

If you consider you have an unsecured creditor claim against the Company please send details
    of your claim to the following address:

La Senza Ltd in administration
    C/o KPMG LLP
    Arlington Business Park
    Theale
    Reading
    RG7 4SD

I for one am rather sickened! It was my go-to place for larger underwear without larger prices. Will anybody else miss it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sillyruby

yup! was gutted when i heard the were closing down but managed to get in for their closing down sale and spent a fortune :o honestly it was the only place i EVER bought underwear. any recommendation where to go now?!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Personally I used M&S more than La Senza, I liked their sleepwear range though and had a few bras from there too. I always went in and had a look, found M&S better for comfy bras though and La Senza better for impressive pretty ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Im raging, I was given a voucher for them for Christmas and went to use it 2 weeks later and they were gone. They shouldnt have sold vouchers in that situation :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm gutted.. I loved getting people stuff out of there for Xmas because of the lovely fancy wrapping boxes :(

They will be missed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH - I never liked their quality or styles. I'm much more a fan of M&S for everyday underwear. They always seemed popular though, so it's funny that they're closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

xzanti wrote: »
    I'm gutted.. I loved getting people stuff out of there for Xmas because of the lovely fancy wrapping boxes :(

They will be missed..

I loved the fancy boxes aswell, but got measured there a few times and I was always falling out the bra's I bought there if I was wearing them for a full day:/ Sad to see them go, I liked their pyjamas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I liked La Senza, but I always had to go up at least a cup size in there. That was okay when I wore a C cup, but now that I wear a DD it became very difficult to get much that would fit me there and I just stopped shopping there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I loved La Senza for PJs but I rarely bought anything else there. I need to find somewhere else for PJs now.

i've always loved M&S for lingerie and PJs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

sillyruby wrote: »
    yup! was gutted when i heard the were closing down but managed to get in for their closing down sale and spent a fortune :o honestly it was the only place i EVER bought underwear. any recommendation where to go now?!:p

Debenhams is pretty good for underwear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I buy a lot of my underwear in Debehams. The floozie line is really good for bigger cup sizes, good support and pretty designs, and their underwear sizes are actually true sizes, not size 10s disguised as size 12s.

I recently bought underwear in Shaws. I had to nearly shop with my eyes closed because the appearance and lay out of their store in Waterford would nearly put you off spending any money in the place but they sell Playtex, Wonderbra and Sloggi, all the latest styles etc. and the day I was in there it was 20% off (they seem to have 20% off in quite a lot of their departments at the moment, including cosmetics). I bought two Wonderbra bras and they're very comfortable.

Although I did shop in La Senza I didn't find the quality of their underwear great and found that even though I used to handwash all of my bras and treat them very carefully, they lost their shape easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

I will miss the place so much, always had such pretty bras at affordable prices! That being said, I have to agree that the sizing in there was quite dodge. In the space of 6 months I went from a 32E to a 34F to a 38DD. So you ALWAYS had to try on the bras before buying them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I always went there in the sales cos they had really good sales, especially this year. I thought they were doing grand but it just goes to show you never know.

Marks and Spencer are really good quality but I just don't like their designs, they're all a bit old womany for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Such a pity, had some lovely "sexy" underwear (crap everyday stuff though). Still, M&S and Debenhams can be just as good so not a giant loss!

Feel more sorry for all the jobs that have gone than the shop itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'll really miss their PJ's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I never really loved all their stuff, but got some great bits and pieces there over the years. As unfortunate as it was, and as bad as I feel for the staff who are now out of work, the closing down sale was amazing. I got 5 full sets of underwear (bras, briefs, suspender belts + stockings) for less than €75. Delighted. The pjs were always way too long for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Never really bought much in it. Absolutely sickened at how they treated their staff though.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0110/lasenza.html
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Support-for-La-Senza-sit-in/248697155197076?sk=wall

However, most if not all shops are struggling so I don't see it closing as a surprise. Apparently Arcadia (Topshop, Miss S, Dorothy P and so on) are struggling to remain open in Ireland, also not a surprise. I work for drapery in Ireland's family-owned department store- sales figures are shockingly bad, the difference to a few years ago is unbelievable. It won't close of course, but they might cull badly-performing drapery-only branches. But you can be sure only it and Penneys can safely say they absolutely will not close down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Im gutted I didnt hear about the closing down sale :(
    Love their pjs but were a bit expensive for me for jammies-I'd treat myself to one pair after xmas when they were reduced. Great bras and knickers though-loved the place. Will be missed.
    And now my credit cards gonna be kicked with VS purchases to replace it...uh oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wasn't a huge fan of their bras (the fact that the cup sizing seemed small was a killer when I'm not exactly small up to start with), but loved their PJs in spite of the price. I tended to be more likely to shop for underwear at M&S, Debenhams, Arnotts or Bramora.

Was absolutely disgusted with how they treated their workers in the end, and was delighted for the girls that their sit-in at Liffey Valley worked to get them what they were owed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

jellie wrote: »
    Im raging, I was given a voucher for them for Christmas and went to use it 2 weeks later and they were gone. They shouldnt have sold vouchers in that situation

If the person that bought the voucher for you used their credit/debit Visa card, there may be some comeback moneywise. If they used cash, then no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Tbh I never really shopped in La Senza but I was in Liffey Valley about 2 weeks ago and their staff were doing a sit-in, claiming they hadn't been paid etc., so I signed their petition. I think it's terrible if the company has just shut down with no intention to pay their staff for their last few weeks work or whatever.

I would be gutted if Arcadia pulled out of Ireland though 'cause I really love Topshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I love Dorothy Perkins - have never bought anything in Topshop or Miss S, didn't realise they were run by the same company to be honest. To be honest, I shop mostly online for DP, and I know this doesn't support local businesses, but they have a far greater range :-/ And I can browse every evening for a week if I like - if I go into the shop every day for a week, they'll think I have a problem!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I never got the obsession with La Senza. Most of the stuff in there is a bit tacky imo. And the bras never fit me in there, they are shaped strangely. So I for one won't be missing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

If the person that bought the voucher for you used their credit/debit Visa card, there may be some comeback moneywise. If they used cash, then no.

thats a good point actually, thanks, ill check!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Gutted about La senza but please don't let dorathy perkins fold! I love the place!

I love the stuff in topshop but my frame means i always thought i was too big for their clothes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Hihello

We'll be going back to the old days of going up the north to go to the shops. Don't think I can face that. Usually its Liffey Valley every saturday now it will be newry every saturday. Seriously can't be dealing with that. Apparently New Look does better in Ireland than in England, I was in the one in Liverpool and one of the girls working there was saying this. And imagine if boots goes I used to get so excited going into boots in newry before we got it down here :rolleyes:

Advertisement