Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wellpark car park

Options
  • 21-01-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

I was up at the connacht match last night, we usually park in the wellpark and go to eddie rockets after the game.

last night i noticed signs on the entrance with parking for customers only , non customers will be clamped release fee €120.

i chanced it and wasnt clamped, but we didnt go to eddie rockets as i didnt want to chance my arm any more with the clampers.

Now i understand the logic behind not wanting their carpark filled by non customers but sure they are losing people like my self who would usually be customers after the match.

also whats the definition of a customer? what if you are just browsing and dont actually buy anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is just a guess since I don't know the signs but since you asked here instead of the parking company - the definition is probably 2 hours parking time (in case you've gone to the movies).
    The same problem happens on Saturdays at Tesco and across the road at Woodies. People park there and walk into town, taking spaces away from customers at the shopping centre but not shopping there.
    I fully understand they're trying to open up spaces for people that park there and then shop there.
    So my guess is 2 hours. You won't really know until you're clamped and challenge the clampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

In this day and age and in the quietest businness month of the year you would think they would be glad of anything that brought people in to the place. Do they not think of the pre match coffees etc and looking around the shops and the possible return visit

hard to understand it

Westgolf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Biko the problem with challanging the clampers is you have to pay the fine then go through an appeal process.

i would say that im a customer as my intention was to dine in eddie rockets afterwards (as we always do) and as a lot of match goers do as well.

trying to argue that would be very hard.

as westgolf said they lost out on prematch coffees and browsing as well as after match food and drinks.

also how do they ascertain if youre in the cinema or having a long dinner in the g rather then at the match.?

But they are glad of "anything", the sign says "customers only" so if you're a customer everything is alright?
    If I was a shop owner and saw the carpark (that I assume the shops pay a share to maintain/clean) filling up just before big games but no-one seems to come into the shops I'd be peeved too.
    Saying that, if I noticed a big money increase after the game I'd probably wouldn't mind, but that doesn't seem to be the case since a sign was put up.

A rugby match with 80 mins play and half time break and walk to the field and bacl is probably just over two hours.
    OP, is the car park usually jammers for match days?

Biko it here was full at the last HC game (gloucester) and there was spaces when i parked there last night. normally id park up have a coffee and then ER afterwards so they lost that business, I can understand them not wanting their customers space taken up , but i would have considered myself a customer and I felt that i may be clamped so i went else where.

hard to say that i was going to be a customer after youre clamped even though your intentions are honourable.

• Advertisement

We go for Eddies and a cinema after all the time there but usually hang on to receipts anyway so would be able to challenge a clamper, I hope.

Tesco and Argos both have clampers hired to jump on anyone parking and leaving the locality. This mean there's usually a space when you want to go shopping there.
    I don't think Woodies have clampers but then again many a time I've circled their carpark for a long time and every single spot is taken and I had to go somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think it's a woeful state or affairs that retail carparks have to resort to clamping to ensure that people don't abuse the free parking provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you're stuck in this situation again then use the Galwegians pitch. It's a bit of a walk but there's no chance you'll get clamped.

I just think its ott, as a result of this new policy they lost business from me, we have parked there before for games and my wife browsed in the shopping centre while we went to the match.

what happens if you browse for a few hours, dont see anything you like/want and come back to a clamped car?

as i said i would have been a customer but their new policy put me off.

they should be looking to use this increase in potential customers rather then trying to screw them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Clampers! don't you love them? about 10 years ago I went to Woodies on Headford road, bought some bits and pieces(£50 worth) and then went across the road to Atlantic Homecare for an item that Woodoies did not have(a particular shade of paint),was about 10 mins and my car was clamped when I got back to Woodies, clamper informed me that he observrd me leaving the Woodies car park and was quite justified in clamping me, I went through the appeal process without success(Woodies management were not interested in helping me)and I have never shopped in headford road retail park since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Clampers! don't you love them? about 10 years ago I went to Woodies on Headford road, bought some bits and pieces(£50 worth) and then went across the road to Atlantic Homecare for an item that Woodoies did not have(a particular shade of paint),was about 10 mins and my car was clamped when I got back to Woodies, clamper informed me that he observrd me leaving the Woodies car park and was quite justified in clamping me, I went through the appeal process without success(Woodies management were not interested in helping me)and I have never shopped in headford road retail park since.
    but you knew the rules i assume as they are plastered everywhere down there and yet you still appealed it. They were right, you were in the wrong. Dont see the issue.

but you knew the rules i assume as they are plastered everywhere down there and yet you still appealed it. They were right, you were in the wrong. Dont see the issue.

It was approx ten years ago and there were no signs at the time.I would not expect you to see the issue but I think they were over zealous in the application of their rules.

Yes ben they were "technically" correct but as a result they have lost one of their shops a customer for life and maybe a few other customers as a result.

this clearly defeats the pupose of the idea behind the clamping in the first place.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Yes ben they were "technically" correct but as a result they have lost one of their shops a customer for life and maybe a few other customers as a result.

this clearly defeats the pupose of the idea behind the clamping in the first place.
    That may well be but at the end of the day its not just a technicality, its their rule, im sure all the stores have signed up to it and are aware that some people no matter the rules will then take exception and never return as they feel hard done by. You would think if there was a large scale problem with losing customers they would attempt to change the rules but it obviously doesnt exist as they have been doing it for years now and works so well that the GSC also adopted the policy.

Like I said,there were no signs at the time but I do believe that the management company did later erect signs in prominent locations, the management company were courteous in their dealings with me and the owner of the Company/site (a Galway based motor dealer)was aware of the issue regarding the then lack of signage and corrected it.With regards to being hard done by, I am from the old school whereby I do not frequent businesses where I have had a bad experience or endured bad customer service.

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Like I said,there were no signs at the time but I do believe that the management company did later erect signs in prominent locations, the management company were courteous in their dealings with me and the owner of the Company/site (a Galway based motor dealer)was aware of the issue regarding the then lack of signage and corrected it.With regards to being hard done by, I am from the old school whereby I do not frequent businesses where I have had a bad experience or endured bad customer service.
    No offence meant now but it sounds like its your loss more than theirs in a way, you didnt receive bad service by the sounds of it. So you not using the retail park is the outcome. Unless you were a regular customer spending large amounts of money then i dont think they'd miss you to be honest. Again, not having a go, just how i see it.

Personally i believe that screwing over customers who have honourable intentions as opposed to those who abuse the situation is never a good idea.

Its in the clamping companys interests to clamp as many as possible, as opposed to ensuring that there is enough parking space for customers, so theres a conflict there straight away.

pissing off patrons over pedantic rules is never a good idea imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I was up at the connacht match last night, we usually park in the wellpark and go to eddie rockets after the game.

last night i noticed signs on the entrance with parking for customers only , non customers will be clamped release fee €120.

i chanced it and wasnt clamped, but we didnt go to eddie rockets as i didnt want to chance my arm any more with the clampers.

Now i understand the logic behind not wanting their carpark filled by non customers but sure they are losing people like my self who would usually be customers after the match.

also whats the definition of a customer? what if you are just browsing and dont actually buy anything?

Firstly I was under the impression we're allowed to browse, what about - "Invitation to treat?!" [Can't believe I actually remembered that lol, have surpassed myself there, good old Mercy Bus. Org. Days! An entire class of innocently trying to get the teacher to chat academically about businessy stuff and do no work in the process! :D ]

Secondly ya now have to pay to pee, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised that ya have to pay to park!!! Plus aren't they talking about bringing in some gate-charge for when ya bring yer stuff to the Recycling Centre too! So, it's unfortunately probably just a waste of your energy writing about the feicers charging for it! :( We're paying before we leave the house at all now! :( Place is feiced .......

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

Some of the parking for the connaught matches around wellpark is disgraceful. I seen one person park there car in my mates driveway and leg it down to the match. He couldn't even get his own car out of his own driveway!

Back on topic, i have seen them clamp cars in there before, for what reason I don't know but in the past year or so I haven't seen any carpark attendants there at all, so you might get away with it nowadays. Those signs have been up though since the place opened so it hasn't got anything to do with the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

snubbleste wrote: »
    I think it's a woeful state or affairs that retail carparks have to resort to clamping to ensure that people don't abuse the free parking provided.
    It's not really. I parked there too and wasn't clamped either. Guessing it's to put people off parking there for entire day/totally anusing free parking.

Argues car park is very strict.

• Advertisement

No offence meant now but it sounds like its your loss more than theirs in a way, you didnt receive bad service by the sounds of it. So you not using the retail park is the outcome. Unless you were a regular customer spending large amounts of money then i dont think they'd miss you to be honest. Again, not having a go, just how i see it.

Not bad service as you say but a distasteful encounter that I would not like to endure again.I do believe that they do need to contol parking with regard to the people who park all day in these car parks and abuse the sutuation but the clamper/attendant told me he saw me leave Woodies,put the purchased goods in my car ,walk less than 100metres to Atlantic /Homecare across the road and he had the clamp on my car before I had crossed the road, the only sign was an a4 notice on the gable end of a portacabin at the entrance to the car park.BTW Its no loss to me, woodies are a tad expensive and there is much better value in the other building supply shops, but I would add the caveat that no business can afford to lose customers.

Spoke to the mgmt company involved, had a very civil conversation with the guy and told him of my concerns.

Basically if you leave the car park, you are no longer a customer so you are liable to be clamped.

As he said its hard to please everyone, pity really as i enjoyed my eddie rocket meal/discussion/ winddown after the game and the car park was very handy.

Cest la vie. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 liveyourlife

I have twice tried to go to the cinema and not gotten a space in the car park when Connacht games are on. While I fully support people watching the games and encourage it, its simply unfair because I'm not the only one who couldn't get a parking space and had to forget about going to the cinema.

So I can only assume that the cinema in Wellpark is losing business on this, I always avoid going there anymore at rugby match nights. I can't see why you don't realise that you're wrong on this one... clearly a purposely built customer carpark is built solely for the customers, not the ones going to a match up the road.

I highly doubt it was the proprietor's objective to provide free parking for rugby matches when they were paying for and developing the site. Surely you can see that every time a match is on, it can only but take a lot from the stores in Wellpark?

I have twice tried to go to the cinema and not gotten a space in the car park when Connacht games are on. While I fully support people watching the games and encourage it, its simply unfair because I'm not the only one who couldn't get a parking space and had to forget about going to the cinema.

So I can only assume that the cinema in Wellpark is losing business on this, I always avoid going there anymore at rugby match nights. I can't see why you don't realise that you're wrong on this one... clearly a purposely built customer carpark is built solely for the customers, not the ones going to a match up the road.

I highly doubt it was the proprietor's objective to provide free parking for rugby matches when they were paying for and developing the site. Surely you can see that every time a match is on, it can only but take a lot from the stores in Wellpark?

This is what i said in my first post, I was basically wondering where i stood in relation to being a customer after the match as opposed to being a non customer just free loading the free parking.

This is what i said in my first post, I was basically wondering where i stood in relation to being a customer after the match as opposed to being a non customer just free loading the free parking.

But there is a designated car park across the road in the Galway Community College for the rugby supporters. Why couldn't you use this instead?

Because it was handy, free and beside the restaurant that we were going to after the match.

Because it was handy, free and beside the restaurant that we were going to after the match.

but the other car park is the same distance from the grounds (actually probably closer), only costs E2 (seriously, would you not pay that?) and less than a minute of a walk from the restaurant. It would save a lot of money if you took this option rather than running the risk of getting clamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness, that is a ludicrous argument. Customer, after the event? It simply doesn't work that way. Sure, if that were the norm, customers could argue, that, after their days shopping in Galway City, they were going to return to the native car park to indulge in whatever services said park had to protect. Sorry, but if fairness, you're wrong. Regardless if you feel hard done by, parking in an area, disappearing for several hours, with the intention of possibly returning, can hardly be construed as a customer. If you wish to attend games, park in the school, which is designated parking, then simply move across, or walk across, to ED's for refreshments. Not complicated, as far as I can see...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

If you can walk from the stadium to wellpark then you can walk from the school to eddies considering you only have to cross the road. The fact is not the handiness but your stinginess in not wanting to pay €2. The school is beside the restaurant so the real point you wanted to say is it is free! I'm fed up of going there to the cinema when there are games on as parking is a pain to get. I stick to the omniplex during match days. People like you cost that retail park more business than you give to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

The Wellpark car park is not the designated car park for the Sportsground. Simple as.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement