Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking fee for visiting in a housing estate

Options
  • 21-01-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello,

Please i would like to know which housing estate in Galway city they are charging people who visit and if you don't have permit you get towed, release fee €120. even if you are visiting someone for 31 mins without permit you get clamped?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I heard it was 34 minutes and only only if you are displaying a shiny red V sticker on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭GOODME

snubbleste wrote: »
    I heard it was 34 minutes and only only if you are displaying a shiny red V sticker on your car.

which estate is doing this? as for me a friend asked me this because where he lives they want to introduce it in coill tire, doughiska. that getting visitor at any time u must report to company that is when a car is parked outside your house. at any time of the day or buy permits for visitors. he just moved to the estate.

lets say Christmas dinner or else you must contact company on the day to report who is visiting you and give reg. reasons for this not given and the area is very nice and lots of space. landscape is on the top list in Galway if not best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Erm I was not most gracious in my response.
    I don't know what housing complex wants to penalise visitors, another poster may know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

GOODME wrote: »
    Please i would like to know which housing estate in Galway city they are charging people who visit and if you don't have permit you get towed, release fee €120. even if you are visiting someone for 31 mins without permit you get clamped?
    When I lived in Cluain Riocaird I had a resident's parking permit for my car and also a visitors permit for when mates were over.
    I think this was introduced to get people driving in from outside the city from parking in estates during the day and blocking resident's spaces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hi GOODME

OK Irish law does not recognise a concept of " residents only parking" on public roads. So for an estate to operate such a system it would need to be privately managed. It would then be a matter for the management company.

There are some residential streets/housing estates where the roads are managed by the city and "disk parking" applies. Here you need to put a ticket on your car from a machine but residents get an exemption. There will be a sign saying. disk parking zone

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    When I lived in Cluain Riocaird I had a resident's parking permit for my car and also a visitors permit for when mates were over.
    I think this was introduced to get people driving in from outside the city from parking in estates during the day and blocking resident's spaces.

Yes that should be the same with what is being introduced there then. but this is something of around the clock 24 hrs that is why i said if you park for 31 mins am assuming first 30 free then you get clamped or may be at aall times as they will have no proof you have been parked for only 15 mins unless someone is watching all corners of the estate.

Also he said they will have something like sending all reg numbers if one gets visitors and not having permit and max 2 or 3 hours don't know if there is charge or they will wave that.

But i think it is going to give people headache imagine you only have 1 or the max 2 visitor parking that you must purchase online then you are having a third visitor then you have to say sorry you can't come i have enough visitors for today.

From my own view is people who have introduced this will have a headache themselves worrying and having to report every car that visits around the clock. over night is ok for parking registration if they want but not 24hrs.

Did you have same during the day too, did you have to send request to register visitor even if they visit for 31 mins? if not 16 mins? then max 2 or 3 hours that is a joke

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Forster Court, unsurprisingly, is where they do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Hi GOODME

OK Irish law does not recognise a concept of " residents only parking" on public roads. So for an estate to operate such a system it would need to be privately managed. It would then be a matter for the management company.

There are some residential streets/housing estates where the roads are managed by the city and "disk parking" applies. Here you need to put a ticket on your car from a machine but residents get an exemption. There will be a sign saying. disk parking zone

This is quite correct but I know of areas in Renmore where local residents who are fed up with students of the GMIT parking have checked car tax,insurance,and NCT details before calling the "powers that be" to enforce regualtions, unfortunately that was the only option open to them due to saturation parking in residential estates by students.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

snubbleste wrote: »
    Erm I was not most gracious in my response.

Shock, horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Forster Court, unsurprisingly, is where they do this.

I think it's in Cill Ard on Bohermore too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I used to live in an estate in the city that didn't have permits in operation so it was a free for all. I could not believe the neck of people parking right outside your house.. I asked a few to move as my housemate was on his way home. Most people moved but a few refused..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Hi GOODME

I have to ask you for your source of this information.

my experience is that the council (following a ballot from residents) can implement a permit parking system which would allow residents to purchase a parking permit and guest permit.

(Aha !! Penny Dropped)

your reference is to "residents only" signs - which would make the matter of parking a grey area as the legalities of whether the parking is in a public/private area, if its a public area the only legal method is to apply to the council to have the area made into pay/display parking(permit parking) - even if its only for specific hours 7-10am - this would stop commuters using the street as a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Its not fair on the residents though in fairness, Ardilaun Road is full everyday college is on, an estate full of pensioners whom some are entitled to a sleep in rather than traffic outside their house at 8am!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I used to live in an estate in the city that didn't have permits in operation so it was a free for all. I could not believe the neck of people parking right outside your house.. I asked a few to move as my housemate was on his way home. Most people moved but a few refused..

Are you talking about the off-road space beside or in front of the house? In which case, I totally sympathise.

Or are you talking about the public roadway in the street outside the house, which the council have not decorated with double yellows? In which case, I cannot believe the neck of people who think that the roadway outside their house is just for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

JustMary wrote: »
    Are you talking about the off-road space beside or in front of the house? In which case, I totally sympathise.

Or are you talking about the public roadway in the street outside the house, which the council have not decorated with double yellows? In which case, I cannot believe the neck of people who think that the roadway outside their house is just for them.

Sorry Don't agree,I had a person(staff) from the GMIT park outside my neighbours house for a week because she did not want to pay the fee for parking it the GMIT.To park outside a persons house in a residential estate is IMO cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Agreed, it may not be illegal but it is ignorant and very frustrating if you can't park outside your own house and have to park elsewhere. Some people have brass necks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

A female NUIG student parked directly outside my mothers house before. When my mother asked her to move her car as I was coming with a large delivery for her in the van, the student started verbally abusing her saying that she pays her road tax and has a right to park her car wherever she likes. My mother (in her late 70's at the time) got very scared and locked herself in her own house. When I arrived, I checked her car and not only did she not have her tax paid but the car was not NCT'ed or not even insured. I have to say I got great pleasure out of reporting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

magentas wrote: »
    Agreed, it may not be illegal but it is ignorant and very frustrating if you can't park outside your own house and have to park elsewhere. Some people have brass necks

Ignorant of what?

The law?

If you want guaranteed parking, then buy/rent a house that has its own off-street parking. If you don't do that, then why should you have any more right to the public road outside your house than anyone else?

Even in the city-fringe areas where the council does residents-permits, they don't try to guarantee you a place outside your house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

inbeforethelock3zd.jpg

This seems to be getting dragged to the dirt lol so may I very quickly ask - is it just certain Estates that have Visitor's Permit's Available? I didn't even know there was such a thing. Or can anyone holding a Resident's Permit apply for a Visitor's Permit?
    biko wrote: »

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I have to ask you for your source of this information.

my experience is that the council (following a ballot from residents) can implement a permit parking system which would allow residents to purchase a parking permit and guest permit.

(Aha !! Penny Dropped)

your reference is to "residents only" signs - which would make the matter of parking a grey area as the legalities of whether the parking is in a public/private area, if its a public area the only legal method is to apply to the council to have the area made into pay/display parking(permit parking) - even if its only for specific hours 7-10am - this would stop commuters using the street as a car park.

Hi

Was waititng to get more info before I replied
    Ok
    The estate is privately owned which means the council have not yet taken over managing it. It is managed by Winters. A thing is this estate is directly behind merlin park hosp so students of gmit can't pass the hosp to come park here as there is lots of free parking there.

He said the owners want this but for him he said many people who live there have no problems and you will know if there is a new car of not a resident as mostly only residents park there no problems on its wide road of people parking on the side. From this it is suprising them.

May be the problem is coming from many landlords renting their houses to many tenants by rooms and there is lots of space on wide roads in the estate. And empty I mean people don't park anywhere like that.

So not near students etc I think it is a waste of time and I bet it will not change anything as the area will just be the same as now.

They hope they think about it and not use energy for a thing that will affect them and business(renting out).

• Advertisement

A female NUIG student parked directly outside my mothers house before. When my mother asked her to move her car as I was coming with a large delivery for her in the van, the student started verbally abusing her saying that she pays her road tax and has a right to park her car wherever she likes. My mother (in her late 70's at the time) got very scared and locked herself in her own house. When I arrived, I checked her car and not only did she not have her tax paid but the car was not NCT'ed or not even insured. I have to say I got great pleasure out of reporting her.

I just don't know why rude people like her don't get caught and pay fines etc. Next time you can report it I guess to traffic section galway city council note down deatils photos will also help as proof. I think it might be like illegal dumping if you find persons contacts and contact gcc they will deal with it the community warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

JustMary wrote: »
    If you want guaranteed parking, then buy/rent a house that has its own off-street parking. If you don't do that, then why should you have any more right to the public road outside your house than anyone else?
    I did buy a house that has it's own off-street parking:cool::D

Not sure we're on the same page here JustMary, obviously if it's ON a PUBLIC ROAD where there's a parking bay/paid parking it doesn't matter who parks there. I'm talking about estates and such. Legally, you can park in front of someones house once you're not blocking an entrance but honestly, I just think it's rude. I wouldn't do it myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Ah yes, the "I pay road tax" defence for being a bully on the roads.

Advertisement