Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Research Queries

Options
  • 21-01-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm working on a manuscript at the moment for a crime novel and I'm wondering if anyone here can answer a few questions I have on organisation and procedure in the context of the Gardai. I've contacted the Garda Press Office and gotten some great information from them, but I have some smaller stuff I don't want to be bothering them with so I hope some of you can help me out here.
    • How long would Gardai be waiting in general for a coroner's report for a murder victim?
    • What's the structure of a criminal investigation staff wise? (as in is it Detective Sergeant's doing legwork reporting to a Detective Inspector, or a Detective Inspector doing legwork reporting a local Superintendent etc...?)
    • How is a detective assigned to a specific case?
    • In a station would the Detectives have an office area of their own?
    • Does the whole Partnered Detectives archetype from TV play out in real life with Gardai?

I think that's more than enough for the moment :D

Many thanks in advance to those who respond!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Press office is your only bet there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

All of your questions can be answered with the phrase "It depends", mostly on the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dj357

MagicSean wrote: »
    All of your questions can be answered with the phrase "It depends", mostly on the station.

The problem is, without knowing a possible permutation, it's hard for me to construct a realistic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

How about approaching your local super for info?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dj357

I'm trying to avoid that as long as possible as I don't want to be wasting their time if I can find the information online. The press office have said they'll help me with any queries but if I can get it online, all the better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement