Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for nice night photos of the city.

Options
  • 21-01-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

I just did a google image search there and saw that there are hardly any good night shots of cork. Most of the pics I found were just pictures of the river with no real life in them.

This night photo is pretty good:

cork-city-hall-on-a-musummers.jpg

But most of them are just like this, kinda boring.

4816429482_2c87c94ec7.jpg

So folks, can you help me find cool night photography of cork? Don't worry I don't work for a magazine, I'm just showing my foreign friend some nice pics of Cork, and night photos of cities usually hide the worst and bring out the best. :)

For example, this is smelly Cairo.

4505160588_afec8a71db_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

dunno if this is exactly what you're after, but here's one I took myself.

6668426343_fe6027c7de_z_d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7iu8RT_C4&feature=related

Not mine. I posted this a load of times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Hmmmm sort of. Well that street is pretty dead isn't it, I can see one "ghost" by the coffee station. :pac:

Ideally I'd like a shot similar to that Cairo one, taken from afar, where it doesn't matter if the streets are buzzing or not.

If the photo is of a single street, I'd like it to be like yours, except more people! And colour...

Here are some nice pics of Waterford for another idea of what I'm after:

Waterford_city_at_night_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1034017.jpg

Waterford_by_night.jpg

waterford_city_night_001.jpg

I mean... I can email my friend these pics and say "Check it out! This is where I live!" but I wouldn't send that lonely coffee station picture... know what I mean? I'm not saying it's a bad pic, just that it's not what I'm after. :)

Typewriter wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7iu8RT_C4&feature=related

Not mine. I posted this a load of times before.

Twould take a bleedin' fordiner wouldn't it!

If they were photos then we'd be getting somewhere.

But that video ... what's with the epic depressing music?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Broads.ie wrote: »

But most of them are just like this, kinda boring.

4816429482_2c87c94ec7.jpg

oh I don't think my photo is all that bad. it's polite to include the information too when you link to Flickr.

4816429482_2c87c94ec7_z.jpg
    IMG_1639 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

have you considered actually going out and taking some photos yourself?

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    oh I don't think my photo is all that bad. it's polite to include the information too when you link to Flickr.

I hate this smiley but... :rolleyes:

Yes I find the photo boring, (also - too much river & sky, kinda grainy too..) but that's only my opinion so don't worry about it.

Also, it's obviously tagged and available in the public domain, (I found it without visiting your flickr profile at all) so I'm sorry but I'm not going to change my google search methods to include investigating the background of every photo I find.
    have you considered actually going out and taking some photos yourself?

Well I don't live in Cork yet - I'm moving there next week. Once I'm all settled in I'll see what I can do.

Btw I guess all those thank-nuggets hanging off your post think I was pwned, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

River%252520Lee.jpg
    heres one i took a few months back, i keep meaning to go back out at night, especially since i got my new camera

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Best night shot of Cork that I've seen is one by Mick Ring (Blinkofaneye Photography) but I can only find a small cropped version online at the moment. He won an Irish Examiner/Hidden Ireland competition with it back in December.

It's out there somewhere!!! Just can't find it right now.

EDIT: This is the one, but it's not there in all it's original glory :-(

http://www.blinkofaneye.ie/p318576717/h272e86b#h272e86b

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Would love to get a decent camera and take night photos like some of the ones above - the blurred lights are class - you could get some great photos around Cork also to be fair - it's a photogenic aul city :)

What would be a good tall building with a view of the city center?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭finfinfin

get up the top of Patrick's hill for a vantage point.smashing snaps from up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Cork is actually a very poor photographic city. It's very dark with little or no views.

ALL the available views are already shown above. Shandon is a highlight but it can't be exploited as the sun sets behind the high hills.

In older times, with turf and cola fires and the smog from industry the Shandon area could be really mystical. Both in location and viewed from Richmond's Hill etc.

A glorious summer's day with dust in the atmosphere [Sahara Dust] will still make golden moments in the early evenings.

But overall Cork's illuminations are dull and are a challenge to photograph ~ those who watch City Hall will be familiar with the dull lights and dark spots and lights just not switched ~ except for special occasions.

The new civic building can be interesting as [again on special occasions] it will glow in different colours ~ more for the video imo, but interesting.

finfinfin wrote: »
    get up the top of Patrick's hill for a vantage point.smashing snaps from up there.
    +1 on Patricks Hill

Another great place for photos (but from a distance) is the Airport Hill - there's a great view of the city coming down that Hill

That said the airport itself would be a great spot for photos anyway.

Is this the view from Patrick's hill?

1new-years-004-1024x680.jpg

Ideally I'd like a shot like the Waterford examples above, or this one:

Nairobi_NIGHT.jpg

I guess I'll have to try make one myself! Are yiz telling me there's nowhere in Cork to get a shot like that? ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Broads.ie wrote: »
    I guess I'll have to try make one myself! Are yiz telling me there's nowhere in Cork to get a shot like that? ^^^

Better photographers than me have sought this, if they did find it, they've kept it a secret.

I think some private residence in Montenotte just might come close, but overall Cork suffers from part views, areas of Gurranabraher also come 'close' but no cigar.

That spire by City Hall has an observation deck, never been there, too high IMO, and the Clarion Presidential Suite may indeed have a suitability, but again a 'somewhat' limited view ~ we can't oversee our city with a perspective viewpoint, that's probably deliberate as we were very sensitive to canon fire and defence.

gbee wrote: »
    Better photographers than me have sought this, if they did find it, they've kept it a secret.

I think some private residence in Montenotte just might come close, but overall Cork suffers from part views, areas of Gurranabraher also come 'close' but no cigar.

That spire by City Hall has an observation deck, never been there, too high IMO, and the Clarion Presidential Suite may indeed have a suitability, but again a 'somewhat' limited view ~ we can't oversee our city with a perspective viewpoint, that's probably deliberate as we were very sensitive to canon fire and defence.

That's a bit interesting, do you have linkage and stuff that would explain it more?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ainu

Just look up the history of the city....

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

I reckon the only place you will get one like that is from an apartment in the Elysian which I have no way of getting into..

Here are a couple I have taken around the City but not necessarily at night. I have a few early morning shots planned over the next couple of months once the sunrises get a little earlier....

Not necessarily night time but it's the City
    5918680132_3076e18b55_z.jpg
    Cork City Hall Sunset by dd80photo, on Flickr

5238749223_77a39ab9e3_z.jpg
    Cork County Hall by dd80photo, on Flickr

Again not night but City area
    4551777362_21a64d1d51_z.jpg
    Cork Bonded Warehouses by dd80photo, on Flickr

4194532961_0128cb9aa5_z.jpg?zz=1
    Four Faced Liar by dd80photo, on Flickr

3351372134_2233b338c1_z.jpg
    Cork At Night by dd80photo, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I think it would be worth going along the Middle Glanmire road and Lovers' Walk, for photo oppurtunities. There are a lot of high walls, but there are breaks here and there that give really great views down onto the city and the river. Sunday's Well would be a similar story, with a different angle. People take photos from this car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Here's one I got by turning on the Photos label on Google Maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

http://corkheritage.ie/?page_id=532

If you can get access to the elysian there could be scope for a couple of good snaps

Nice Pics djd80 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Picture taken from Elysian, crap quality but you get the point, nice view up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement