Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must-have games for xbox360

Options
  • 21-01-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

I realise this might have to be moved somewhere by a mod, but i can't find a thread that this seems suitable for.

Have the xbox360 a couple of months now. Previous console was a SNES :o so things have moved on (and certainly for the better)!. Anyway, there are so many options i'm trying to narrow things down a bit.

The xbox came with COD MW3. I don't really like it, its fairly slow and i find it a bit tedious being on foot all the time..crouch..stand up and shoot, crouch again, run to the next area of cover etc. Obviously there is a lot more too it for those in the know, and i'm sure it comes into its own playing through xbox live, but i can't really get into it. So i bought Batman Arkham City. Loved this game, much more interesting. I liked stalking the bad guys and taking them down, the different weapons..swinging around. Anyway, after finishing the main story of that one i got Halo:Reach a few days ago (cheers to MackDaddi for the recommendation on here). Thought this was superb, quite like Batman only even more fun and i liked the quick pace of it, using the different vehicles/ larger variety in aliens compared to COD where everything seemed the same. Have almost finsihed the solo campaign of Reach so will want something new unless i go online with this one..

So my question is where to next?. I'm not keen on sports games. I like American football but have previously played Madden and find it a bit complicated and it doesnt really excite me. Games that seem to be highly rated on here are Bioshock, Skyrim and Mass Effects 2. Would Mass Effects 2 be too like Halo:Reach?. I have looked on YouTube and it looks a bit similar only maybe a bit slower moving with a lot of dialogue..
    Skyrim i have also looked at, it seems massive..i'll save that for later. I think Resident Evil 5 is available on xbox..any good?

Obviously i could try Batman Arkham Asylem and another Halo game as i likes the other ones so much, but as a newcomer to xbox i'd like to branch out and see what else is out there.

If this needs to be put in to another thread than thats fine, i'd appreciate any suggestions on where to go from here, cheers.

I have avoided playing online so far as...can this be done in silence out of interest?. Might sound strange but living with my other half it would be awkward putting on the headset conversing with people playing a game when theres only the two of us here if you know what i mean!

EDIT: i have just highlighted the above games to show what i have liked so far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'd highly recommend the Assassins Creed series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Red dead redemption is a classic ... Also GTA series are excellent too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend the Assassins Creed series.
    I haven't played any of these yet. Do you recommend starting from the first game of this series or can I just pick it up from the latest game?

houseplant wrote: »
    I haven't played any of these yet. Do you recommend starting from the first game of this series or can I just pick it up from the latest game?

To get the most out of it, I'd pick it up from the first. I found the story line very interesting (even if you're not in any way religious.....Don't worry it's not "preachy" either!).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dead space 1
    dead space 2
    bayonetta
    fallout 3
    fallout new vegas
    bioshock 1
    bioshock 2
    dantes inferno
    borderlands goty
    warhammer 40k space marine
    Forza 4 ( if you are in to racing sims )
    dark sauls
    alice: madness returns

thats just from the top of my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

ya the gtas if you havent played em are a must,fallout 3 is a great game aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Thanks to all so far

dead space 1
    dead space 2
    bayonetta
    fallout 3
    fallout new vegas
    bioshock 1
    bioshock 2
    dantes inferno
    borderlands goty
    warhammer 40k space marine
    Forza 4 ( if you are in to racing sims )
    dark souls
    alice: madness returns

thats just from the top of my head

+1 for Dead Space one and two. Will scare you sh!tless! The first one anyway, the second is more action-orientated. But has some great scenes (the eye bit....eugh!).

Instead of Borderlands I'd suggest Rage. Pretty much the same game! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

houseplant wrote: »
    This is a tough one. The story and characters are really laid out in the first game so you'd be completely lost if you just jumped into Assassins Creed 2 without any prior knowledge. Unfortunately the first game isn't on par with the sequels at all in terms of content. Sure the cool movement is there but there's very little variety in terms of missions and side quests. You can, however, get through the game by completing a relatively small number of these so I'd recommend doing that and getting through it as fast as possible so you can play the rest of the series.*

As for other games, well a couple off the top of my head would be:

Mass Effect 1. (Do not start on ME2. :))
    Alan Wake
    Bulletstorm
    Vanquish
    Bayonetta
    Dead Space
    Enslaved
    Red Dead Redemption
    Darksiders
    Gears of War series
    Ninja Gaiden 2

Remember there are demos for almost all of these games on XBL so make sure and give them a shot before buying. :)

Also, there's also a ton of XBox Live Arcade games you should try such as:

Shadow Complex
    Limbo
    Super Meat Boy
    Castle Crashers
    Bionic Commando Rearmed
    Hard Corps Uprising
    Rez

There's loads more to choose from, all of which have demos too, so go nuts. :)

*Alternatively you could just look up the story for the first one on Wikipedia but I really don't like the sound of that personally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Essential games for me anyway would be:

The Orange Box - 5 games in one and can be picked up for around a tenner these days, no brainer reall
    Red Dead Redemption - Best single player campaign I've played in ages.

Dead Space - Great survival horror.

Fallout 3 and Skyrim are both fantastic and contain hundreds of hours of play in each. I haven't played New Vegas yet but I'm sure it's great too.

I picked up the new Madden the other day only and have really gotten into it. I'm only getting into American Football in general at the moment but have found it easy enough to pick up.

Gears of War games are meant to be great too, though I've only really played the first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tales of vesperia if your into RPG'S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I'm in the middle of Dead space 2 at the moment after loving the 1st one, I am a bit of a horror nut though.

I would prob reccomend Devil May Cry 4 its a bit old now but its a nice pace action game.

Mass effect 2 is very good but if you dont like the long dialogue sequences it can be very tedious.

Skyrim is the greatest game I have played in awhile, fallout 3 is also amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Bro u might consider going to gametrailers.com, head to the review section, sort by console and highest rated. U can watch ~5-7 min reviews of games, they've never steered me wrong. No better video review site in the world IMO !

Red dead, mass effect series, dead space 1&2 and I enjoyed the fable games too. Great time to get a console, and gaming in general!

Also might be worth ur while googling game of the year awards for the last few years. GT do em as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Portal 2.. wasn't expecting much.. but played it as the wife had bought it for me..

Excellent game.. One of my favourite games so far, only downside is that it doesnt take long to finish..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Thanks all, that gametrailers site seems to have plenty of info. Dead Space seems to be highly rated. The clips i've watched of it look great, i'll go with that one next i think. So many options, Vanquish and Bayonetta look really manic too, in fact loads of the suggestions seem worthwhile so its hard to decide! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

like somebody else said, dont ignore some of the quality games on xbox live, and since you havent been playing games since the SNES, there are some games and ports from yesteryear that should appeal along with new classics. i'd recommend trying demos of all of these:

Trials HD
    Shadow Complex
    Worms 2: Armageddon
    Any of the Sonic games
    Banjo Kazooie maybe, form the N64 days.
    Beyond Good and Evil HD
    Resident Evil 4 (a better game than Resident Evil 5, its available in the games on demand section)
    Dead Rising:Case Zero
    Marble Blast
    Peggle
    Plants Vs Zombies
    Gunstar Heroes
    Chime

there is loads more quality on XBLA, thats just a sample. Depends what you are into. The Sonic games and Gunstar Heroes are the pinnacle of the 16-Bit gaming era and were released on the Megadrive, they may appeal to the last time you used to game. very cheap titles too, 400 points each, less than 4 euro.

Thanks all, that gametrailers site seems to have plenty of info. Dead Space seems to be highly rated. The clips i've watched of it look great, i'll go with that one next i think. So many options, Vanquish and Bayonetta look really manic too, in fact loads of the suggestions seem worthwhile so its hard to decide! :)

You just have to get dead space 1. I have it on Xbox, but I newer came around to finish it off as i don't like playing horror survival games at day time, but with misses back at 18:00 I have no chance playing it :(

So on steam sale I got dead space 1 + dead space 2 for 9.99eu! 2.5eu for dead space 1.... Best ever money spent!

5.1+ dark room, no misses in sight. I jumped so many times! At one stage I went: damn pc mouse+ keyboard make it way too easy! After chapter 4 or 5 I was down on all my savings, supplies, bullets... Just because of panic attacks lol :)

If anyone need horror survival game or just really good quality game, then dead space is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Condemned is another great one imo.

And Mirror's Edge. You could pick both up for about 7 euro each these days as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what are the must-have games that are exclusive to 360? The Gears of War and Halo series I guess... any more?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what are the must-have games that are exclusive to 360? The Gears of War and Halo series I guess... any more?

well, its matter of taste.

halo and GoW are biggest franchise to be exclusive to 360, thought for me the only exclusive that is well worth it - forza series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Gears & Halo are not really xbox exclusives. Halo 1 & 2 both have PC versions along with the first gears of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

These are my favourite games off the top of my head

Mass Effect 1 + 2 (I would recommend start from 1)
    Assasins Creed Series
    Tom Clancy Double Agent + Tom Clancy Conviction
    Kane and Lynch Dead Men
    Bully
    Just Cause 1 + 2

As you can see I like games that have decent story lines as I get hooked to them fairly quickly. I dislike playing online multiplayer games like COD and Battlefield as they bore me really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

I would recommend Alan Wake, I had been excited about it for years before it came out and it didn't let me down. I traded it for Red Dead Redemption after completing it, but a year later I bought it to do the campaign all over again! It's quite an engaging narrative, great lighting effects and atmosphere, no tacked on multiplayer, and genuinely tense.

However, seeing as it's coming out on PC in February, I'll think I'll be buying it all over again!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Crackdown 1 is very very good, and can prob be picked up cheap nowadays. The second was boring but 1 is a must have!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I would recommend Alan Wake, I had been excited about it for years before it came out and it didn't let me down. I traded it for Red Dead Redemption after completing it, but a year later I bought it to do the campaign all over again! It's quite an engaging narrative, great lighting effects and atmosphere, no tacked on multiplayer, and genuinely tense.

However, seeing as it's coming out on PC in February, I'll think I'll be buying it all over again!
    I wasn't impressed by Alan Wake, all you have is a weapon and a torch. Storyline was interesting but the gameplay didn't work out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I wasn't impressed by Alan Wake, all you have is a weapon and a torch. Storyline was interesting but the gameplay didn't work out for me.

Of course all of these suggestions are going to be subjective, I believe the game was criticised for the limited variation of the gameplay, I just happened to click with it. It did not sell particularly well either, in part no doubt due to it being launched within 4 days of Red Dead Redemption which was one of the most anticipated games of the year.

Don't forget you weren't limited to just one torch, there was a choice of 3 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Flicking through the wiki list of console exclusives and filtering out the rubbish leaves:

Alan Wake
    Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
    Crackdown
    DeathSmiles
    Fable 2/3
    Forza series
    Gears Of War series
    Halo series
    Lost Odyssey
    Too Human (I did say rubbish)

In terms of XBLA exclusives there's:
    Shadow Complex
    Super Meat Boy
    The Adventures of Shuggy
    Dishwasher Samurai
    Trials HD
    Ms / 'Splosion Man
    Rez HD
    Ikaruga
    ilomilo
    Perfect Dark HD
    Geometry Wars
    South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!
    The Maw
    Lucidity
    N+
    Comic Jumper
    Guwange
    The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
    Radiant Silvergun
    Torchlight
    Bangai-O HD
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
    The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile

May have missed one or two but they're the ones that immediately spring to mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I always find it amusing that the least Japanese-centric console of all time has such a high proportion of great Japanese games (the natural successor to the PS2 in that regard). It's the best shmup (scrolling shooters) console since the Dreamcast. Would highly recommend giving Death Smiles a go for some frantic high scoring fun. If you like that, the more challenging DoDonPachi Resurrection is a natural progression. The import friendly Mushimesama Futari v1.5, however, is probably the best of the bunch. Ikaruga, Bangai O-HD and Radiant Silvergun also see the world's finest 2D developer Treasure remaking and reimagining their classics in glorious HD.

I'd also advise anyone to play Bayonetta and Dark Souls (although not console exclusive) - together probably the highlights of a console generation. They're both challenging in their own way, and require effort to get the most out of them. But the rewards are unmatched, except by timesinks like Street Fighter IV!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gears of war trilogy is a must, great campaigns and really fun online! Worth its money for campaigns alone.

Ive dead space and im about 20 mins into it and im quite literally too scared to play it anymore haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want something interesting then I'd suggest Deadly Premonition. It's not for everyone since it's very cheaply made and the gameplay can be terrible at times but if you stick with it it's one of the best written games around with a fantastic storyline. Way better than Alan Wake imo.

Also for some dumb but great fun blasting get Earth Defense Force 2017.

Advertisement