Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a credit card not a credit card?

• 21-01-2012 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

.............when its a debit card apparently!

just completed a hotel booking,it says theres a 3euro charge on all laser and credit card transactions,grand job i thought................. so i booked with a visa debit and through the confirmation email,i see they applied a charge of 3euro:(

is this wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

As laser is a debit card, they haven't given the impression that debit cards are treated differently.

The problem is that there is no real way of paying for this service from a distance without using one or other of these approaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

ardmacha wrote: »
    As laser is a debit card, they haven't given the impression that debit cards are treated differently.

The problem is that there is no real way of paying for this service from a distance without using one or other of these approaches.
    but i didnt pay with by laser....... i paid by visa debit. i thought there was a difference,then again im probably wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is it a VISA debit card, that would be a credit card then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

wmpdd3 wrote: »

How???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I suspect that "laser" is being used as a generic term for debit cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It looks to me more like they just haven't mentioned Visa Debit at all, and are just charging €3.00 on all card transactions, regardless.

Laser Card tends to get used as a generic term for "Debit Card" in Ireland. Although, I can see that changing fairly fast when the card disappears next year and the year after.

The way Visa Debit normally works, it is accepted as Visa Debit where a retailer has that set up i.e. pretty much everywhere in Ireland. So, it will work more or less like a Laser Card.

Where you pay online or physically and there is no Visa Debit setup, it can still be processed as if it were a generic Visa Credit card.

The only difference is that from a retailer's perspective, if they are setup for Visa Debit in Ireland, they can accept the cards at a significantly reduced rate compared to credit cards, which typically charge a small %. As far as I am aware, Visa Debit cards are accepted with a small flat fee, similar to Laser by most of the card terminal issuers / merchant banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Solair wrote: »
    It looks to me more like they just haven't mentioned Visa Debit at all, and are just charging €3.00 on all card transactions, regardless.

Laser Card tends to get used as a generic term for "Debit Card" in Ireland. Although, I can see that changing fairly fast when the card disappears next year and the year after.

The way Visa Debit normally works, it is accepted as Visa Debit where a retailer has that set up i.e. pretty much everywhere in Ireland. So, it will work more or less like a Laser Card.

Where you pay online or physically and there is no Visa Debit setup, it can still be processed as if it were a generic Visa Credit card.

The only difference is that from a retailer's perspective, if they are setup for Visa Debit in Ireland, they can accept the cards at a significantly reduced rate compared to credit cards, which typically charge a small %. As far as I am aware, Visa Debit cards are accepted with a small flat fee, similar to Laser by most of the card terminal issuers / merchant banks.
    Wow........ thanks for the detailed reply!:)

cheers guys....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

wmpdd3 wrote: »

???

A Credit Card is someting you use to pay for goods or services using borrowed money (the card issuer's money), on the condition that you pay them back later.

A Debit Card is someting you use to pay for goods or services using your own money immediatley - straight out of your bank account.

VISA is the service that facilitates the transactions.

A VISA debit card is not a credit card!

Advertisement