Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell off RTE radio stations: 2FM and Lyric.

Options
  • 21-01-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

As these radio stations provide very little public service broadcasting content they should be sold off on behalf of the tax payer.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Nick Guats

2fm would fetch about 30 million and i agree it should be sold off but lyric fm has very low listenership and low ratings so it could not be sold as such but it could be closed down and the space on fm band givin to another broadcaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

license RTE2 out by tender so the income acts as a trust with which to provide public service programming on radio1 and then see if the market can sustain another national commercial station and license that out too. If the station fails then you know the market can't support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

2fm is a commercial station. It gets no public funding or any portion of the licence fee. It's public service remit is neglegible. The sale would - I fear just cost jobs.

newbie2 wrote: »
    2fm is a commercial station. It gets no public funding or any portion of the licence fee. It's public service remit is neglegible. The sale would - I fear just cost jobs.

2fm has lost money since 2009, The money to plug that hole has to come from somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

A lot of companies have lost monery since 2009, how do they keep going?

newbie2 wrote: »
    A lot of companies have lost monery since 2009, how do they keep going?

They have shareholders and or cash reserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Phew.!! For one awful minute there, I thought your plan, might deprive us of Marian Finnucane and Joe Duffy.:confused:
    But they are on radio 1, so we are safe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Nick Guats wrote: »
    2fm would fetch about 30 million and i agree it should be sold off but lyric fm has very low listenership and low ratings so it could not be sold as such but it could be closed down and the space on fm band givin to another broadcaster

That's sadly true. Lyric happens to be one of the only Irish broadcasting outlet (TV or radio) that I enjoy and I actually would consider it to be a good station. It would be a shame to see it go but I imagine Schubert and Brahms are somewhat lost on the Jedward and X Factor listener :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Nick Guats wrote: »

Lyric ratings can be improved, put it out to tender and let's see. One way or another we need to have a radio station with a bit of culture.........classical music, opera, jazz and yes a place for our own traditional and well loved ballads and Irish...........Dubliners, Enya, Christy Moore, The Saw Doctors, Niall Toibin, Brendan Grace, Percy French songs, etc. Everybody seems to know songs like Molly Malone, The Rose of Mooncoin, The Banks of my own lovely Lee, etc. and songs associated with their own area or county, yet we never hear them played by the National Broadcaster. One way or another we need to keep Lyric in some form or other.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement