Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with question about return policy in Game

Options
  • 21-01-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was in Newry earlier and bought second hand copy of socom special forces in Game. The woman working there put the sticker seal on the box at purchase and I didn't open it up until I got home (south of border). inside was a copy of socom confrontation instead!! A game 3 years older with no move, sharp shooter or 3d support and an older game thats worth a good bit less. IM raging! They are closed now so I can't ring them. thing is I was just up there for the day and was using public transport, its not gonna make financial sense for me to pay for another return ticket on the bus, can anyone advise on my options here? Would Game store here in the south be able to help me out and exchange it for me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it would most definetly have to be brought back to the original store. You could however explain teh situation to their head office and see what options you've got. But i'd ring the store you bought it from and ask to specificlly speak to the person you bought it from. The name/empoyee number should be on the receipt.
    Explain the deal and ask them if they'd accept it via post, then see what you want, refund, the proper game, credit etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Most places would offer to get you the right game, provided you have the receipt. I don't know about a cash refund though, mostly likely they'll offer you credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

he's fully entitled to a cash refund if the product is not the one he intended to buy in the first place.

Yes, I know. But most stores will offer a credit refund before cash.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

he's fully entitled to a cash refund if the product is not the one he intended to buy in the first place.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    Yes, I know. But most stores will offer a credit refund before cash.

Just FYI, I don't know about the North but in the Republic this is incorrect- the goods were not as described but if the company offers a replacement (in this case a working disc) within a reasonable time the customer can't really demand a refund.

• Advertisement

Well when I'm working (HMV), and we had game returns, our policy to replace the disc, or if not possible, offer credit refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well when I'm working (HMV), and we had game returns, our policy to replace the disc, or if not possible, offer credit refund.

Yes, that's because your employers are bastards who hope to take advantage of people that don't know their rights.

One of my favourite retail stories: I was renting a tux a few years ago and when I got home I discovered that I had been charged for an item I did not ask for. When I rang them I spoke to the manager and he told me in no uncertain terms that I could only get store credit. I told him I knew my rights and that I was entitled to a full cash refund because the error was on their part. He instantly changed his tone and cheerily told me my refund would be in the store for me when I called in. It was; cash in an envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If i'm not mistaken, they have to go in this order: repair, replace, refund. As you didnt get the game you paid for, you should get a replacement, if they don't have the game it's a refund. I think you have to give them the chance to repair/replace before a refund. Store credit can only be offered if the product does not fall into the returns category (ie: bought a new product, opened it and changed your mind - most places don't care if you changed your mind, but some palces will give you a credit note to the value of the sale).

However, the shop can also take the route of "I gave the right game, you're trying to rip us off" and tell you to go stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Ring the store, or call into your local branch. Not sure of Games policy on interstore transfers but they should be able to refund/replace the game locally for you then transfer it to the original store at a later date.

This is how we used to deal with these kind of things (worked in three other large stores) but where in two companys this was effortless and the norm one it was a hassle that you were told to avoid at all costs.
    As I don't have a clue how Game deal with these things its best to ring them and see :)
    As for your rights to a replacement/refund, its kind of beside the point: you payed for a product and didn't receive it. The case could be empty for all you care, the shop should be willing to accommodate you as best they can. Just be polite and explain your case.

PS: After a few headaches buying games and receiving the wrong discs/scratched messes myself I always open the case in the shop and check unless its factory sealed ;)
    snip...
    However, the shop can also take the route of "I gave the right game, you're trying to rip us off" and tell you to go stick it.

If the shop bought back the wrong game in the wrong box originally OR they have sold the wrong game in the wrong box already they could try this. Otherwise their numbers will be wrong in their weekly stock check. IF they don't check the discs on incoming/outgoing games and don't check their stock I'd be surprised they are still in business. If they do take a stand like this just take it as a lesson and shop elsewhere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Zillah wrote: »
    Yes, that's because your employers are bastards who hope to take advantage of people that don't know their rights.

One of my favourite retail stories: I was renting a tux a few years ago and when I got home I discovered that I had been charged for an item I did not ask for. When I rang them I spoke to the manager and he told me in no uncertain terms that I could only get store credit. I told him I knew my rights and that I was entitled to a full cash refund because the error was on their part. He instantly changed his tone and cheerily told me my refund would be in the store for me when I called in. It was; cash in an envelope.

That's a completely different case though: if the company gives out the wrong game and they can provide the right one, there's no right for the customer to get a refund off the bat. Store credit instead of replacement might actually suit some people more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement