Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tail docking illegal?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    She went to a vet (I shall not name) who agreed to dock them for her. 7 of the 10 pups died on the way home, blood all over the back seat. She was utterly horrified and disgusted with herself, as she didn't realise, as I'm sure plenty don't, that this is not safe practise.

As much as I hate docking it is very safe if conducted by a vet but I cannot believe that 7 pups would die after docking. The only reason for any blood loss would be if the pups got at the wound.
    ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I know not all dockings end this way, but if registered vets refuse to do it, then any other means of getting this done is without question putting your dog's life at risk.

No one, other than a Vet, is legally allowed to dock - it is classed as a surgical procedure. So, provided all the Vets agree not to dock, it in effect becomes illegal.

If docking is allowed for certain breeds or situations then this will be at odds with the views of Veterinary Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I still marvel at the way a dog wags its tail if you even speak to it when it is deeply asleep...It is a strong method of communication.. wee dog has three totally different tail wags depending on her degree of bliss. Slow, fast and utter windmill. Shame to deprive them of this.

Advertisement