Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Damastown/Clonee Fly-Over not Two Way Traffic?

Options
  • 21-01-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

As stated in the title, why is the Damastown fly-over not a two way traffic system?

Coming from the Littlepace side of the bridge, it's perfectly fine. For example, if you want to go to take a left into Clonee village, no problem. If you want to go straight through to the Damastown Industrial estate, there's no hassle either. Same with if you're looking to enter the N3.

It's a totally different story altogether if you approach the fly over from the Damastown side. I really don't see a reason why traffic has to detour around by Kepak and back through Clonee Village. I thought the whole point of a by-pass is that it by-passes which ever village/town its goes past!? It's a nightmare for anyone looking to access Littlepace from the Damastown side. A short hop across the bridge, which is wide enough, makes a lot more sense in my view. The congestion is ridiculous at rush hour.

I used to think the same about the silly one way road system near Molloys on the Clonsilla Road until it was thankfully changed. Does anybody else have this gripe or am I alone in this? Would anyone support the notion of this stretch of road becoming two-way? I really am just interested in gauging people's opinions on this before writing any letters to the suits :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I asked the same question in a different thread a few weeks back and got an answer... I'll try and find it for you and post back...

EDIT: Here you go! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75599629&postcount=79

Might be a bit of date though... something to bring up with councillors/TD's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sorry, I can't answer but I did get caught out once coming back from the Aquatic centre thinking I could cross back over that overpass which of course I couldn't and had to go a few miles out of my way to get back to Ongar. You would think that the 100s of times I've used it going to Dublin/M50 etc I would have noticed it was one way :o.

I'm guessing the current overpass is not wide enough for two way traffic as the three northbound lanes in use are already heavily utilised for Clonee (left), Damastown (straight) and city/M50 inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

A long term littlepace resident told me that it used to be two way but there was a serious traffic problem and it was changed to facilitate traffic flow. From driving the route from Damastown there is also still a sign for the roundabout on the Damastown side.. Personally I think the traffic is worse getting out of Damastown. There was times it took an hour to get from Damastown to Littlepace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

nomesc wrote: »
    A long term littlepace resident told me that it used to be two way but there was a serious traffic problem and it was changed to facilitate traffic flow. From driving the route from Damastown there is also still a sign for the roundabout on the Damastown side.. Personally I think the traffic is worse getting out of Damastown. There was times it took an hour to get from Damastown to Littlepace

Correct , it was changed to 1 way about 8/9 years ago, in saying that traffic wouldn't be as bad as it is now back then but yet it still changed so I would imagine little chance of it being out back to 2 way, it should be looked at though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Is perfect for residents coming from Littlepace towards N3-city and Damastown !
    Don't change a ... line ! It will make the exit,in the morning,awfull !!!

..but...

It may be subject to review when the N3 to N2 link will be opened ! Hopefully they will leave that junction as it is and connect the N3-N2 from the roundabout off Dunboyne/Clonee,beside the tennis courts !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it does seem like it could be done a lot better.

it's not too bad for me as i live in clonsilla and i take the first right on the way into clonee onto the old road on the way home and miss out most of the village, so it's not that big of a deal for me coming from damastown on the way home, but it would be easier if i could just go straight over from the lights there.

mind you, even as a one way as it is now, it can turn into a bit of a drag race to get across the bridge in the mornings during peak times, so even cutting out one of the available lanes to make it two way and adjusting the light sequence would only compound that problem.

Advertisement