Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bugaboo donkey

Options
  • 21-01-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

having first baby march 2012 would like to have another 20 ish months after.

wondering whether to invest now in the bugaboo donkey to avoid having to sell on and invest in a double buggy. it is the same width as the single buggy. it is around 300 more expensive for the travel system allowing for the side by side facilty.

is it madness to buy a double into single system now for something that we will need in 24 months/

its just that i see a lot of people selling thier single bugaboos becuase they need a double buggy, and want to avoid paying twice.

thanks

also would we be better off buying a second hand bugaboo now and then a double buggy or would that be dangerous ? ie you dont know if something has been damaged.

is there a reputable second hand dealer that deals in serviced second hand bugaboos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I bought the bugaboo cameleon travel system last year for my first, but i'm now wondering the same as yourself. However, looking at the donkey, it has quite a wide chasis, could be arkward to get in and out of places with. I think i'd probably opt for the Phil and teds as looks more compact for 2 kiddies.

Re: 2nd hand bugaboo, my friend got a frog model on rollercoaster for 250 euros. You'll find used bugaboos on rollercoaster/ebay. You can wash the fabrics or even buy a new set of them in a colour you wanted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have the out n about nipper and have tried out a few different ones.
    I found the Donkey hard to manouvre and it is a bit wider then the average buggy,personally I didn't like it.
    I did love the http://www.babyjogger.com/city_select_lp.aspx but it came out long after I bought my double.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I bought the babyjogger - city mini for travelling, as when flying the bugaboo is in 2 parts, the airlines will only take a buggy that comes in one part so you have to black tape the bugaboo together if you're gonna fly anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

firstly congrats anonanonmom.we have the donkey.what you save on length you loose out on width.if you plan on using public transport with this buggy at it's full width it wont work. i did a trial on a low floor bus trying to get it on and it wouldn't fit. it's the same when shopping local most isles aren't wide enough for this buggy. width is the donkeys biggest downfall.
    it's main advantage is you can see whats happening with both babies without either going high/low or backwards and forwards.also when slimmed down theres small shopping basket that fits in beside the cot. storage underneath as well even when full widened ,also when slimmed down you can get through most isles and onto low floor buses. i read you post earlier ,later we brought the twins out for a walk.i had a good open minded look while purple pushed the twins. i have to admit i wouldn't trade it for another double buggy. it's width and price are it's only major draw back but otherwise it's neat and compact. when you get used to all the nooks and crannies on it ,it's easy to use and especially fold.
    as for 2nd hand dealers i dont know of any, but i have seen signs n4/liffeyvalley junctions looking for 2nd hand prams etc. i'd imagine theres a place out there.maybe some that lives out that way can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

Congratulations OP!

Absolutely all the bits and pieces of the Bugaboo Cameleon can be washed - fabric in the machine so I'd get a Cameleon second hand if you're not sure and wait to get the Donkey or a Phil and Ted etc when the 2nd baby arrives. It's not like a car seat where you have to worry about safety. Also Baby no. 2 might not arrive on schedule, or you might decide on a longer gap for numerous reasons and the Donkey is biggish in real life.

The Cameleon is great though - I'd highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

firstly congrats anonanonmom.we have the donkey.what you save on length you loose out on width.if you plan on using public transport with this buggy at it's full width it wont work. i did a trial on a low floor bus trying to get it on and it wouldn't fit. it's the same when shopping local most isles aren't wide enough for this buggy. width is the donkeys biggest downfall.
    it's main advantage is you can see whats happening with both babies without either going high/low or backwards and forwards.also when slimmed down theres small shopping basket that fits in beside the cot. storage underneath as well even when full widened ,also when slimmed down you can get through most isles and onto low floor buses. i read you post earlier ,later we brought the twins out for a walk.i had a good open minded look while purple pushed the twins. i have to admit i wouldn't trade it for another double buggy. it's width and price are it's only major draw back but otherwise it's neat and compact. when you get used to all the nooks and crannies on it ,it's easy to use and especially fold.
    as for 2nd hand dealers i dont know of any, but i have seen signs n4/liffeyvalley junctions looking for 2nd hand prams etc. i'd imagine theres a place out there.maybe some that lives out that way can help.
    The Celbridge 2nd hand buggy shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The Celbridge 2nd hand buggy shop.
    thanks moonbeam. do u know if it's any good or have any decent stuff?

Yes, I know a few people that have bought stuff there and they are very happy.
    You can ring the shop and ask them if they have what you want there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yeah there's 2nd hand buggy shop in the Mill Centre celbridge that opens only on Saturday, I believe.

I have a donkey and expecting our 2nd baby in March so I'm looking forward to use it as a double. I do realise the width would be a drawback, but I just hate the idea of having what I call the 'stacking system' that Phil & Ted has. Everytime I see one I feel so sorry for the child underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

go into tony kealy's and try out the donkey and the chameleon and i'd be very surprised if you went for the donkey, we didn't like it at all and i can't see why anyone who would have traditionally gone for a chameleon would go for it, it's horrible imho.

i could make a case for it for someone with twins, but for someone going for a 2nd baby 18-24 months later, you'd despise the fecking thing by the time the 2nd one came along.

honestly, i don't know what the solution is, but i'm confident (at least for ourselves who plan on being in the same position as you) it's not the donkey.

we ended up going with the chameleon and we're very happy with it for now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

Not sure about the bugaboo donkey still, we have one because it was recommended to us as one of the safest buggy for twins, Its got three types there is the mono, duet, twins version. all come with shopping baskets and carry shopping basket, its OK to drive it, IT Definitely attracts a lot of attention when out and about.
    People Don't see many side by side carrycots,
    One of things I hate about it is the car seat adapters, they are quiet high up when attached to the frame, so it draws a lot of attention for babies in the car seats.
    Its quiet wide, it doesn't look like it is, the only reason I liked about it, was the carrycots are sitting above the front wheels in other buggies the carrycot over hangs the front wheels and this use to scare me a lot, because it means that baby's head is just hanging there in mid air. :eek: Plus get loads of use out of the carrycots, babies can sleep in them over night so they are handy that way if going away etc...
    Also its just about fits in the boot, without the carry cots, if the carry cots are brought a long I have to sit in the back and carry cots are put in the front seat. :rolleyes:
    hope this helps

Advertisement