Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary in Duleek area - locals be vigilant!

Options
  • 21-01-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My house was broken into last week. I'm in the Duleek area.
    Given the nature of the break-in, the house was definitely being watched for some time prior to the break-in.

No prints were found so there's no recourse whatsoever. I had stuff taken that was priceless to me (handed down for several generations). :mad:
    I'm absolutely sickened to be honest.

Anyway, I thought I would just warn any forum members who are living in the Duleek area to be extra vigilant. Try not to stick to a very rigid schedule. If you have a family / friend to call around one in a while if nobody is home, that could very well make the difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Sorry to hear that.
    What time of the day did they strike and was it via window or rear door? Was there a car on the drive to indicate someone was home?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fiddler09

Fiskar wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.
    What time of the day did they strike and was it via window or rear door? Was there a car on the drive to indicate someone was home?

It was about 6pm. In hindsight, I think I disturbed them because I heard a sound when I opened my front door - I didn't think anything of it until I got to my bedroom.
    They entered via a bedroom window at the rear of the house: very clever too - brand new windows and they knew exactly how to pry them open. They parked their car in the farm entrance next to the house because my gate was closed.
    I did not have another car in my drive to feign occupancy.

All in all, it was a very well planned burglary that bears all the hallmarks of the house being under surveillance for some time.

Very well planned indeed given they knew at that time someone or other would be in the house. They must have known you were on your own, no dog to alert you, no lights to deter them and as you say they knew what type of window to crack open.

will send you on a list home security installers that were at the Ardboyne hotel recently. Will PM you my email address if I cannot send them to you as an attachment.
    there are a variety of gadgets available that will help.

Very well planned indeed given they knew at that time someone or other would be in the house. They must have known you were on your own, no dog to alert you, no lights to deter them and as you say they knew what type of window to crack open....

I thought about getting a dog, but I'm put off by the fact that my brother's place was burglarised some years ago and they killed his dog. I'd be too devastated if that happened to me.
    I have motion-sensor floodlights and they were activated; however, I've no idea how long they were in the house.
    The ease with which they 'opened' the window is worrisome - these are decent double glazed sliders and whatever tool they used gets these open pronto.
    ....will send you on a list home security installers that were at the Ardboyne hotel recently. Will PM you my email address if I cannot send them to you as an attachment.
    there are a variety of gadgets available that will help.

Thanks very much! - I'd really appreciate any info you have - I've taken very extreme measures in the past week, but I'm always open to new suggestions.

I've reinforced all windows (with the caveat being that glass can be broken!). I'm a techie guy myself so I just finished off installation of exterior and interior sensors, cameras, and recorders. Wireless everything with recorders that will never be discovered - not taking chances there! The ironic thing about it is that I had purchased all the gear over Christmas and hadn't installed it yet.

I've other rooms 'rigged' to the point that I can't discuss it on a public forum.

After talking with the Garda, it is disconcerting to know that even with any surveillance information I can provide them (in the event of another break-in), there is very little they can do.

Obviously, my main priority now is to prevent another burglary from occurring.

Fiddler, Private Message sent

• Advertisement

......... and my house has been broken into AGAIN (that's twice in 6 months).

The house / area is definitely being watched.
    Back door and reinforcements destroyed (I guess my windows worked this time).
    Cameras picked up 2 guys wearing balaclava-type masks (so no useful info there).
    House was completely ransacked and these animals broke an awful lot of stuff that they weren't interested in.
    Perps left the scene on foot (probably through back fields) since they couldn't get a vehicle through the gates.

Gardai can't do anything about it (and I reluctantly agree).

It's an awful defeatist attitude to take, but right now, I just want to sell the house and move away from the area. I genuinely don't feel safe here any more.
    I've put forth so much time, effort, and money into this house and it's just not worth it anymore. Maybe I'll feel differently when the dust has settled.

Anyway, be on the lookout for any suspicious behaviour in the Duleek area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

fiddler09 wrote: »
    ......... and my house has been broken into AGAIN (that's twice in 6 months).

The house / area is definitely being watched.
    Back door and reinforcements destroyed (I guess my windows worked this time).
    Cameras picked up 2 guys wearing balaclava-type masks (so no useful info there).
    House was completely ransacked and these animals broke an awful lot of stuff that they weren't interested in.
    Perps left the scene on foot (probably through back fields) since they couldn't get a vehicle through the gates.

Gardai can't do anything about it (and I reluctantly agree).

It's an awful defeatist attitude to take, but right now, I just want to sell the house and move away from the area. I genuinely don't feel safe here any more.
    I've put forth so much time, effort, and money into this house and it's just not worth it anymore. Maybe I'll feel differently when the dust has settled.

Anyway, be on the lookout for any suspicious behaviour in the Duleek area.

Sorry to hear that, sucks big time. :( Can understand how you want away and I wouldn't blame you.

Very sorry to hear that Fiddler.
    With the CCTV have you got visible signage up as a deterrent. Would be quite worried that they wore Balaclavas if other than to avoid the CCTV. If not then they were after you. Was it a daylight job or night time as all I can suggest is plenty of high intensity sensor lights for the latter and a loud siren as a panic attack button option for the former.
    nothing is sacred.

Very sorry to hear that Fiddler.
    With the CCTV have you got visible signage up as a deterrent. Would be quite worried that they wore Balaclavas if other than to avoid the CCTV. If not then they were after you. Was it a daylight job or night time as all I can suggest is plenty of high intensity sensor lights for the latter and a loud siren as a panic attack button option for the former.
    nothing is sacred.

Thanks Fiskar.

It was a day-job: they obviously waited until we left the house early afternoon. We were back by late evening.
    There's signage on all the windows, and cameras are all over the place for anyone and everyone to see. I'd be confident in speculating that they wore the balaclavas because they saw all the cameras.

Agreed - I should install a panic alarm; however, I'm not so sure that would be an effective deterrent to some animal who is 'coked-up' and looking for cash / valuables to fuel his/her next fix.
    Barring a situation whereby they are brandishing AK-47's, I personally don't feel threatened (I have that covered).
    However, I can't say the same for my wife and child - my wife is pretty shaken up at this stage.

After 2 break-ins in 6 months, I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility to have a break-in from someone who would threaten a helpless person into turning over money, jewelry, etc. if they were in the house at the time. That happens all across the country these days. That's the scenario which scares me.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

We were broken into in Kildare back in January. It is a horrible feeling knowing that someone has been in your house! Any little noise I hear I have to check out!

They got in the master bedroom window... Took the whole pane of glass off and just climbed in!! They even put the window back on when they were done.. We never would have known we were broken into only to look out the window and see the plastic from around the window hidden on the grass. And also an engraved pocket watch found outside on a picnic table.They must have left it behind because it was engraved. Nothing else was touched surprisingly enough, we think the dog might have scared them off even though he is only a little terrier. He was down house in the utility!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Sorry to hear your troubles guys, I had a couple of attempts over the winter months, since then I have got a dog that you wont argue with and put up sensor lights, I also tried to change our usual behavior, I have no doubt they will be back at some stage but I cant imaging what it feels like for you guys.

Advertisement