Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House of Cards - To Play the King - The Final Cut

• 21-01-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Has anyone watched this trilogy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Berwick wrote: »

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

The first part of the trilogy is quite good,but it did gain in kudos at the time because it coincided purely by accident with the fall of Margaret Thatcher.

My memory of the subsequent series were that it declined slightly in quality with each series.

It's worth a a watch. It's no West Wing though

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Francis Ewan Urquhart speaking? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Berwick wrote: »

Thought it was a very good trilogy. House of Cards was definitely the best of the three but any of them are well worth watching just for Ian Richardson 'putting it about a bit'.

I heard there's going to be a HBO remake which has me slightly worried...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Excellent trilogy

House of Cards was the best part

He had some strange phrase like "give some stick", something like that for kicking errant MP's into line

The actor who played the King did an excellent job and that was a good storyline and the TV ad he did

As for ending :eek:
    Well no spoilers but when they talked about his legacy and how he will be remembered I wasn't expecting what happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

Ian Richardson >>>>> superstar! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The original series 'House Of Cards' was terrific, mainly for Ian Richardson's outstanding performance as 'Francis Urquhart'

It might have dated a little, but still well worth a look. The follow up series were enjoyable, but not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Superb show, well worth watching. Doubt it would age that much, UK politics hasn't change a lot as per the various backstabbings between Brown/Blair and the Milliband brothers in recent years.
    Must give a mention to Urquharts weasily helper-guy, Tim Stamper, and the Lady Macbeth-esque Mrs Urquhart.

Had read the book before seeing the first series and was beyond flabbergasted at the change in the ending. Literally stuck to the chair, mouth open, tongue hanging out shock. Major book & tv show spoiler
    In the last page of the book, Urquhart commits suicide rather than murder on the roof of parliament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

The rights of the show were acquired by Netflix who outbid HBO and ABC.
    It will be their first original programme and will star Kevin Spacey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The third series was disappointing but the first two just fine, Ian Richardson was also the best Sherlock Holmes for my money. Just the right mix of cunning and quirky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement