Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most epic wedding you've ever been to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yeah, that's kind of what we had in mind...Although I am sorely tempted to organize a BBQ at my parents' place, bring in a keg and a few cases of wine, and call it a day.

I went to a wedding in the UK last year out in the countryside, big farming / horsey community. They had a marquee out the back, lovely buffet to include pig on a spit, etc. They had wine with the meal, a few kegs of beer and a selection of spirits. No band but there was a DJ. Great day TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭El Jefe

kupus wrote: »
    What ever happened in the movie Bridesmaids, just do the exact opposite,

And dont for the love of god have the wedding in some other country that has no association with you and your hubbietobe.
    Just so you can say, oh I got married in such and such a country. eg Italy. Nobody cares. And you still sound like a twat. Its was twatty in the best of times and its still twatty in the not so good times.

And yes im not married lol, Best of luck in future by the way!!

Well I am gettting married this year IN ITALY , Im Irish and my Fiance is Canadian and her family and most of her friends are wealthy and her dad is paying for the wedding so we thought why not, my friends are getting to stay in an amazing spot in Tuscany , flights are pretty cheap, accom is not too bad and they get a nice holiday, a lot of free food and drink , going to weddings is part of growing up and if you are too cheap to celebrate this occasion with your friend , then maybe you shouldnt be their friend. People that complain about the costs of weddings piss me off , its a once (hopefully) in a lifetime celebration and I have no prob spending money going to these, if you cant afford it then dont go , but dont go and complain after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

El Jefe wrote: »
    Well I am gettting married this year IN ITALY , Im Irish and my Fiance is Canadian and her family and most of her friends are wealthy and her dad is paying for the wedding so we thought why not, my friends are getting to stay in an amazing spot in Tuscany , flights are pretty cheap, accom is not too bad and they get a nice holiday, a lot of free food and drink , going to weddings is part of growing up and if you are too cheap to celebrate this occasion with your friend , then maybe you shouldnt be their friend. People that complain about the costs of weddings piss me off , its a once (hopefully) in a lifetime celebration and I have no prob spending money going to these, if you cant afford it then dont go , but dont go and complain after.

Easy to say when her dad is paying for the wedding ;)
    Obviously being too cheap to pay for your own wife's wedding doesn't apply to you.

Blazer wrote: »
    Easy to say when her dad is paying for the wedding ;)
    Obviously being too cheap to pay for your own wife's wedding doesn't apply to you.

yea it is easy to say , but we are still taking out a loan to pay for some of the extras and the honeymoon of a lifetime, Why not , after that , its kids and trips/events like this are not feasible anymore so It is not cheap for me either. Meh each to their own I suppose, just think a wedding should be a day to enjoy and penny pinching should not come into play. Most women I know would want a nice wedding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What's the most epic wedding you've ever been to and why?

Probably my own. Seriously.

Was during a 3 day television conference and a quite few heads that we knew from TV/film attended.
    It involved everyone spending a whole wedding day spending a full day and night in an amusement park.
    No long wedding speeches, no sit down traditional meals, no fuss over presents on the day.
    Just TV conference, wedding (including Buffy, Star Trek, Terminator, and Angel TV series characters to mention a few!), quick bite to eat for all, down to a massive amusement park, spend the day there, then went to a pub for a another quick meal and drink, back to the conference, back to the amusement park again, quick change of clothing and then to a disco with all involved with the conference and the wedding!
    Approx about 4,000 people partying away on our wedding night! :D

...And as far as the word back was from them, they all had a blast, a non-traditional wedding that was just real pure fun. :D

Stuff tradition and boring long wedding days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I went to a brilliant wedding last year, very unconventional and lots of fun. It was in my friend's huge back garden in Wicklow by the edge of a forest and the invites said "Fancy dress: 50s, 60s and 70s". Lots of people showed up looking right out of Mad Men or else dressed in pimp suits complete with platforms and canes. It was fantastic.

The whole garden was done up with homemade colourful decorations and looked a bit like a festival - think Body & Soul from Electric Picnic. Bar was set up and every drink was €3. Great band played and there was a huge buffet with a pig on a spit. Very relaxed, great craic and no fuss. The groom wore a 1970s style suit with shirt ruffles and the bride wore a simple vintage dress and her favourite pair of flip flops. It was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

yea it is easy to say , but we are still taking out a loan to pay for some of the extras and the honeymoon of a lifetime, Why not , after that , its kids and trips/events like this are not feasible anymore so It is not cheap for me either. Meh each to their own I suppose, just think a wedding should be a day to enjoy and penny pinching should not come into play. Most women I know would want a nice wedding.
    Too right!
    You could never accuse your future in laws of penny pinching.

You on the other hand........

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Too right!
    You could never accuse your future in laws of penny pinching.

You on the other hand........

And how am I penny pinching , I am still forking out a sh!t load on extras for the wedding and an amazing honeymoon. Just cause I am fortunate enough to be marrying a hot Canadian who happens to have a wealthy family that want to pay for the wedding. A lucky Fcuker , I am , A Penny Pincher , I aint

And how am I penny pinching , I am still forking out a sh!t load on extras for the wedding and an amazing honeymoon. Just cause I am fortunate enough to be marrying a hot Canadian who happens to have a wealthy family that want to pay for the wedding. A lucky Fcuker , I am , A Penny Pincher , I aint
    Withdraw penny pincher.
    Insert moocher.

• Advertisement

Withdraw penny pincher.
    Insert moocher.

Ha jealousy will get you no where Padd , I am betting you are single. How am I mooching by the way , I didnt ask for this , I was lucky enough to be offered this. Mooching would imply I asked/begged for this and read the post , I am paying a boat load for extras and a south pacific cruise honeymoon:D

Ha jealousy will get you no where Padd , I am betting you are single. How am I mooching by the way , I didnt ask for this , I was lucky enough to be offered this. Mooching would imply I asked/begged for this and read the post , I am paying a boat load for extras and a south pacific cruise honeymoon:D
    Withdraw moocher.
    Insert shameless moocher.

Withdraw moocher.
    Insert shameless moocher.

You keep working out that right arm Padd:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

None hated them all. So false all if them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Polish weddings, I've been to a few now. The carnage is amazing.
    A bottle of vodka is allowed for every single guest, including children, altho they aren't allowed drink it. There are at least 7 meals duing the course of the whole day. Fantastic. Loads of games played and singing and mad craic altogether. Find some Polish person in your area and hire them to plan it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Ours in Italy pre recession. 110 people, free drink all night, fantastic glass marquee set in rolling Umbrian hills with views of Lake Trassimeno. Italian food, string trio. Everything we ever wanted, and we paid the accomodation for a week for our parents, siblings, their wifes and kids, and the wedding party.
    It was perfect for us. It was different and it reflected who we were. Our first holiday together was to Italy. We love Italian wine and food and we head banged with the best of them to Guns n Roses and Metallica. Very, very chilled out and made as easy as possible for all the guests.
    We did spend as much as we would have on a wedding in Ireland, but we spent it all on the guests.
    Can I do it all again????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Very easy for you to say, since money isn't a problem for you. A lot of people can barely afford to go to a wedding here at home though, let alone fork out to attend a wedding abroad. I think it's very selfish to expect everyone to pay so much to attend your special day. Especially if you judge them so harshly for not turning up for your "Once in a lifetime celebration."

Newsflash, yours isn't the only wedding your friends/family will ever attend, ever. These things add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Very easy for you to say, since money isn't a problem for you. A lot of people can barely afford to go to a wedding here at home though, let alone fork out to attend a wedding abroad. I think it's very selfish to expect everyone to pay so much to attend your special day. Especially if you judge them so harshly for not turning up for your "Once in a lifetime celebration."

Newsflash, yours isn't the only wedding your friends/family will ever attend, ever. These things add up.

Yeah to me that would have been the ultimate waste of my precious resources. Now, if someone in my family decided to have a wedding abroad or even down the country I would tell them straight to fuk off. Although the bride and the groom, and in my experience it is usually the bride, think their day is so special, the guests are privileged to be invited to such an occasion, it isn't anything special. They have been done to death.

Well we have given them a years notice to save up for it and it is not that expensive plus the drink on the day is paid for which is normally a big expense. I am not judging anyone , what I said was if you cant go , dont , but dont go and complain. I have no problem with someone not being able to afford it but if a good friend of mine is getting married then I make every effort possible, Myself and all my friends recently received an invite to a wedding in Australia and we are going to try to go even thoug it is a few onths after ours , I said each to their own. Dont misquote me

44leto wrote: »
    Yeah to me that would have been the ultimate waste of my precious resources. Now, if someone in my family decided to have a wedding abroad or even down the country I would tell them straight to fuk off. Although the bride and the groom, and in my experience it is usually the bride, think their day is so special, the guests are privileged to be invited to such an occasion, it isn't anything special. They have been done to death.

If someone in your family decided to have a wedding aborad or even down the country you would tell them to fcuk , Enough said , speaks volumes

Well we have given them a years notice to save up for it and it is not that expensive plus the drink on the day is paid for which is normally a big expense. I am not judging anyone , what I said was if you cant go , dont , but dont go and complain. I have no problem with someone not being able to afford it but if a good friend of mine is getting married then I make every effort possible, Myself and all my friends recently received an invite to a wedding in Australia and we are going to try to go even thoug it is a few onths after ours , I said each to their own. Dont misquote me

You didn't really say "each to their own" though, did you?
    EL Jefe wrote:
    ...going to weddings is part of growing up and if you are too cheap to celebrate this occasion with your friend , then maybe you shouldnt be their friend. People that complain about the costs of weddings piss me off , its a once (hopefully) in a lifetime celebration and I have no prob spending money going to these...

How is denouncing your friends and calling them cheap not being judgemental?

And yes, you gave your guests a year's notice and you say "Flight's are grand, accom is grand" but it's still quite a lot to fork out to attend a wedding.

I personally think it's terrible of your friend to expect everyone to fly out to Australia. I mean, wow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 The Lorax

Can't say I ever recall a wedding being "epic".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

If someone in your family decided to have a wedding aborad or even down the country you would tell them to fcuk , Enough said , speaks volumes

And hopily they all hear, these days I am simply not going to go to any of them, no pressure, its their day and they can keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

It was in a pub, we ate cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

there's only a fairly short period in your life that you HAVE to attend weddings of close friends and siblings/close first cousins. Anyone else I would take it or leave it. I've been to a few weddings and have enjoyed them all. There's always a way to keep your costs down if you need to. Even going down the country, there are great deals going in loads of hotels. You don't necessarily have to stay in the wedding hotel.

Also this thing about getting a new outfit every time yaddyyaddyya, I look after my clothes and will happily wear a dress I haven't worn in a few years. Or there are plenty of sales shopping to be done. It takes some effort but if you're short then that's what you have to do. Wrt presents, if you are someone who is short on money I think your presence at the wedding of close friend/sibling is present enough. I'd pick having someone there over crystal glasses any day.

Finally, I'd like to get married away purely because my bf has 50 first cousins on one side. This is going to allow us to only have people there that we want as opposed to paying for half the country to eat overcooked beef.

Back to the OPs question, I also worked at 150 weddings (like the barman there) as a silver server. I got disillusioned by the trotting out of the same plates, cutlery and centre pieces for each wedding. However the food was excellent in the hotel when I worked there and plates came back empty. Sadly none of the weddings were epic but there was one wedding that had chair covers and lots of extras to do with flowers and that really impressed me. I thought the room looked beautiful for a change.

The last wedding I was at the couple spent 42K. It was a lovely day and we had a great time but spending 900 on a chocolate fountain just sounds ludicrous to me. We wouldn't have missed it. The food was alright but didn't reflect how much they obviously paid for it. Anyway, I think having a casual affair that lets people share your day is the way to go.

You didn't really say "each to their own" though, did you?

How is denouncing your friends and calling them cheap not being judgemental?

And yes, you gave your guests a year's notice and you say "Flight's are grand, accom is grand" but it's still quite a lot to fork out to attend a wedding.

I personally think it's terrible of your friend to expect everyone to fly out to Australia. I mean, wow.

Read through the posts , I actually did say , each to their own. And I have only invited all my close friends to the wedding so would be dissappointed if they didnt make every effort to come , ok saying they shoudl not be your friend was harsh, fair enough, but they are suppoed to be your best buds and I know i wil make every effort to attend their weddings no matter where they are. As i said each to their own , we would not have organised it in italy if we knew that a lot of people would not be able to make it , so far no ones has had any issues with the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Friend of mine got married in late 2011. Up 'til then, I'd just been to family church weddings, which bored the absolute tits off me. Didn't have much higher hopes for this.

Boy, was I wrong :)

The couple are agnostic, so no religious ceremony. Instead, they had the most personal, beautiful ceremony involving their own personal choices of music, poems (including The Cat in the Hat), and readings that I've seen.

The reception was lovely too - the tables were all decorated with a decoration showing a city the couple had visited; the decoration was handmade by the couple themselves. Also, everybody was given a handmade (by the bride) shot glass to take home.

The groom's brother played guitar and sang the first dance song, by Muse - a truly lovely moment, as you knew the couple chose this song specially. And the craic went on 'til late in the night.

For the record, I don't drink, so obviously you don't need to be blotto to enjoy a wedding if it's actually good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Well I am gettting married this year IN ITALY , Im Irish and my Fiance is Canadian and her family and most of her friends are wealthy and her dad is paying for the wedding so we thought why not, my friends are getting to stay in an amazing spot in Tuscany , flights are pretty cheap, accom is not too bad and they get a nice holiday, a lot of free food and drink , going to weddings is part of growing up and if you are too cheap to celebrate this occasion with your friend, then maybe you shouldnt be their friend. People that complain about the costs of weddings piss me off , its a once (hopefully) in a lifetime celebration and I have no prob spending money going to these, if you cant afford it then dont go , but dont go and complain after.

My goodness there is a lot wrong with this post.

First, why do people holding a destination wedding make the claim 'you'll get a nice vacation out of it!'. This seems incredibly self-serving. Maybe it is in part because in the US we don't get very much vacation time at work, but who says I want to use my vacation to go to a place and stay in a hotel of someone else's choosing?

Second, you can't in the same breath say people who can't afford to go shouldn't and then call people who don't attend 'cheap'.

Part of growing up is recognizing that you aren't the center of the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Fair enough his response is a little naive but I get where he's coming from. If you give people enough notice, help them out with the going to the wedding, try to have it a weekend to help alleviate the holiday leave problem and if they are a good friend of yours then it is totally likely that they'll come. I know my friends will. I only want a small wedding with important people there and I'm big into location hence why I would like to tie the knot in the town hall in Sorrento.

Fair enough his response is a little naive but I get where he's coming from. If you give people enough notice, help them out with the going to the wedding, try to have it a weekend to help alleviate the holiday leave problem and if they are a good friend of yours then it is totally likely that they'll come. I know my friends will. I only want a small wedding with important people there and I'm big into location hence why I would like to tie the knot in the town hall in Sorrento.

By all means, get married where-ever you like. The only problem people had with that poster was how horrific his attitude was.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've been to many weddings of friends and wider family over the past 20 years and to be frank, very few were memorable. The ones that were memorable were the more low key affairs where a bit of imagination went into the day and it had something original and different to offer. Also, the wedding couple being relaxed and at ease with the guests is a big plus.

The most forgettable ones were the uber-lavish affairs where the same old formula/routine was slavishly followed.

I do remember one particular wedding but not for the right reasons. The bride was a bridezilla a la supreme and she threw a massive and very public strop after the dinner because the Bestman's speech wasn't to her "liking."

People getting married should realise that their day is about expressing their love for one another in the company of the guests who have been invited to share the happy experience instead of a formulaic, show off, self-serving stress-filled affair that bleeds the guests dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

I'm helping to organise my sisters wedding and i find it crazy how many people expect to be invited but also how many people complain about the expense involved in attending a wedding. So many people have said to me, when are the invites being sent out, what deals have you got on accomodation, should i be booking it, etc. They just expect they're going, when they may or may not be, guest list not finalised yet and obviously they're not inviting every person they've come across int heir life. But then you have so many people, in this thread and just in general who are unhappy because of the cost they would incur to attend the wedding and who don't seem to realise how much it costs the couple to have them at their wedding.

My sister and her fiance are a really nice chilled out couple, and are doing all they can to reduce costs and make it a nice day for everyone and everyones needs. They're spending about 25k on their guests so it amazes me how some guests will turn around and complain to them about what they had to spend. I know my sis wouldn't mind people declining the invitation if it put financial pressure on them, or would try to help. She'd hate that someone was stressed or felt they had to come.

So where is the middle ground, it looks like a lot of people hate being invited to weddings, but then a lot of people feel offended if not invited, people feel they have to spend too much to attend a wedding but the couple spend a fortune having everyone there. Seems like its impossible for most people to be happy with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

i work as a barman in a hotel...so iv ''attended'' about 150 weddings

Yep, I have worked many weddings between 3 hotels. They all tend to be the same. And absolutely boring! And so overpriced. Not a hope I'm having a big fancy wedding in a hotel with hundreds of guests. Don't really plan on getting married anyway.

My aunts wedding seemed pretty class! I was a flowergirl. I was only 3 so can't really remember. But judging from the photos it look good! It was in a music venue in London. I remember throwing confetti when they were coming out of the registry office and thinking it was the coolest thing ever :rolleyes: My Dad's band played at it. And my Granny made our dress and made a matching one for my doll. /girlmoment

Haven't really been to any other weddings. No one in my family really gets married. And I'm too young for my friends to be getting married, give it a few more years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

slowmoe wrote: »
    My sister and her fiance are a really nice chilled out couple, and are doing all they can to reduce costs and make it a nice day for everyone and everyones needs. They're spending about 25k on their guests so it amazes me how some guests will turn around and complain to them about what they had to spend.

Yes, but it's your sister and her fiance's choice to spend 25K on the wedding. They can choose the local hotel down the road that will charge €40 a head for the meal or the 5 star luxury hotel which charges €80 a head. The guests have no say in any of this. Nor will they care for the most part, I've been to a good few weddings in the last few years and I couldn't tell you what I had to eat at any of them, all weddings are much the same and blur into one after a while. The guests on the other hand will have to spend anywhere between 500-1000 on it one way or the other depending on if they're single or a couple etc.

Couples getting married seem to think sometimes that because they've spent a shitload of money on the wedding that it justifies the expense incurred by everyone attending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Our wedding was very low key. We just had immediate family (35), we wanted a stress free day. We invited everyone 1 month before the day. It was just going to be the wedding cermony, followed by a meal in a restaurant who allowed us to have a full menu.

Unfortunately, my in-laws did like this idea and 3 were refusing to go. One claimed that she could not get time off work, another said that 1 months notice was just not enough, and the third said that as the other 2 were not going she would not go either. It was actually suggested that I go to one of them, take her, her husband and two children out for dinner and then ask them to go to the wedding. I refused to do this as all the guests were going to be invited the same way - we were getting married, they had been invited, and if they did'nt want to go that was fine, it was up to them.

Anyway, on the day of the wedding they all turned up with big smiles on their faces. If people want to make life difficult for you - they will.

The neighbours called in after the wedding with gifts - which I really was not expecting, and to thank us for doing our wedding this way and hoped it would catch on with their families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This is just turning into people talking about their wedding day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

A wedding out in a town called Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida. I didn't know anyone in the wedding, I just accompanied my roommate who had grown up with the bride and groom. There's a lot I could say about this wedding, but I'll leave it at this:
    The wedding was held outdoors on a grassy patch in front of the bride's parent's mobile home and the wedding aisle was a strip of astro turf laid on top of the grass. Probably not the epic you're looking for OP, but still amazingly epic.

A wedding out in a town called Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida. I didn't know anyone in the wedding, I just accompanied my roommate who had grown up with the bride and groom. There's a lot I could say about this wedding, but I'll leave it at this:
    The wedding was held outdoors on a grassy patch in front of the bride's parent's mobile home and the wedding aisle was a strip of astro turf laid on top of the grass. Probably not the epic you're looking for OP, but still amazingly epic.

LOL, my half-sister's wedding was kind of a trainwreck, in no small part because her mother is insane.

At the bridal shower, she spent the whole time complaining that she was missing a Teena Marie concert.

She thought the bridesmaid's dresses were too boring, and so had a string of rhinestones sewn in around the neckline.

The day of the ceremony, she was an hour late, and the pastor almost left before the ceremony could get started.

At the reception, she spent most of the evening bumping and grinding. I still haven't recovered from her screaming "that's my jam!" and solo grinding to this song in the middle of the dancefloor, drink in hand.

It was, interesting. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I can only really echo what so many others before me have said. I've been to a few weddings, and none really stood out. The lavish ceremonies with the five-star afters down the country were nice and pretty, but it has gotten to the stage now that I just can't differentiate between them.

My uncle got married last year in a registry office and had the afters in a pub/restaurant down in Carlow where he lives. There was about thirty of us, and none of that +1 malarkey. I had a curry for my dinner and a feed of pints. My dad, who was witness at the registry office, was asked to make a speech, it consisted of "Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub". My grandmother was locked. The couple even put up some of the travelling family in their own house, on blow-up mattresses and sofas. To be honest with you Rosie, I enjoyed that one so much more.

If I was the one getting married I'd be plumping for Vegas. Head over for a few days accompanied by immediate family and close friends. No gifts (their presence would be more than gift enough of course!), no rules. Honeymoon in CA, maybe Santa Barbara, I always thought it was beautiful there. Come home some time later, throw a party in the parent's back garden (it's big enough) with a marquis and fairy lights and patio heaters, a couple of kegs and a few cases of cheap wine. For entertainment get a friend's band to play. Basically a summertime session for anyone who would have liked to go to the ceremony that can be organised at a couple of days notice.

I just couldn't put myself through the stress of organising a big, fancy do, or forking out 20k or whatever for other people to eat and then piss and moan about the food, the band, the fact that they're seated so far away, listening to "who is your one over there dressed like a tart", having forced conversations with extended, removed members of family I haven't seen since I stopped playing with dolls, and so on and so on.

It's a day that is supposed to be about you and your husband to be, a day FOR you, so do it your way. And congrats. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Was at a wedding at a Swiss Chateau with me xGF. Pig on a spit, cheese fondue, and a couple of barrels of beer were the accouterments to the wedding which was had in the woods nearby. Very tasteful and none of the big white dress bollocks.

We got the tower bedroom with 360 views.

All the pics are pre digital so can't show. Must scan them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Jaxxy wrote: »

I just couldn't put myself through the stress of organising a big, fancy do, or forking out 20k or whatever for other people to eat and then piss and moan about the food, the band, the fact that they're seated so far away, listening to "who is your one over there dressed like a tart", having forced conversations with extended, removed members of family I haven't seen since I stopped playing with dolls, and so on and so on.

It's a day that is supposed to be about you and your husband to be, a day FOR you, so do it your way. And congrats. :)

How do you avoid this though, as i said earlier i'm helping my sis and her fiance plan their wedding (not making decisions just doing the phone calls and arranging appointments etc) and at every turn someone is unhappy with things. People are unhappy there won't be many plus ones or the extended extended family won't be invited, unhappy about location, unhappy about the menu, unhappy their mates who the couple have met once aren't invited blah blah blah, and after all the work the couple are putting into it, people will still be complaining at the end of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

How do you avoid this though, as i said earlier i'm helping my sis and her fiance plan their wedding (not making decisions just doing the phone calls and arranging appointments etc) and at every turn someone is unhappy with things. People are unhappy there won't be many plus ones or the extended extended family won't be invited, unhappy about location, unhappy about the menu, unhappy their mates who the couple have met once aren't invited blah blah blah, and after all the work the couple are putting into it, people will still be complaining at the end of it

The answer to all those questions and problems is the same.......

Too bad. It isn't their wedding, its your sisters. What anyone else thinks matters not one jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

When my dad married my step-mom they got married in the gazebo behind the church and had a barbecue in the back yard of the church. They had country dancing and then games for the kids like lawn darts. It was really fun and relaxed.

Another good wedding I went to, they got married outside on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi river and the reception was in the local VFW hall and they had a buffet with fried chicken, mashed potatoes and just kegs of beer all over the place where you could top up your glass. It was a ton of fun and not super expensive.

Aside from the fact that you can never make everyone happy, I think not shouting out that you are getting married from the rooftops can help prevent a lot of this kind if stuff. If you get engaged, and then wait for 2-3 years, everyone in your family will know, everyone on Facebook will know, etc. My future sister in law decided to have a destination wedding, in part to stop hordes of people from coming, and then proceeded to put every planning detail on Facebook - so she ended up with over 100 people anyway (she was shooting for around 60). Now it is wrong as hell to essentially invite yourself or badger your way into a wedding, but at the same time, if all you do is talk about it for two years, then expect people to expect to be invited (especially if they have been subjected to hearing about it all of the time!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm planning on getting married, in the town hall, with the two obligatory witnesses. We will have a meal for the immediate families, and maybe a relaxed party for our friends a month or two later.

The idea of a big white wedding brings me out in a cold sweat just thinking about it *shudder*

(each to their own though, everyone should have the wedding they want, and not be under pressure from anyone else to do it the way someone else thinks it should be done!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

The biggest wedding I was at had a guest list of 1,000+.Yea, you could describe it as epic.

The groom is a well known Irish Sportsman....we would have been guests of the bride's family.

I did not get to see the bride until the wedding meal! It was manic! The only plus was free drink and the marquis was a great idea on a summer's day.

The following year, we were at a small wedding of 60+ which was way more enjoyable. IMO, go for the manageable number!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

All the people creating a fuss and stress now, will be the very ones who will turn up on the day all smiles. There seems to be a lot of people who enjoy causing stress just because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Are you serious? Are all of these people being vocal about it, or is it just rumblings? How rude!

It's just tough shite if they don't like it. Go along with whatever your sister and her fiancé want. Try not to get sucked in to what anyone else wants or what anyone else feels. If someone who, as you say, barely even knows the couple wants to fall out with you or your sister over not getting an invite then good riddance to them.

I couldn't go in for that kind of crap at all. Worrying over insulting some far removed acquaintance is a waste of time and energy IMO, and ultimately if you give in, a waste of money. Don't let them get you down slowmoe!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

This is just turning into people talking about their wedding day.

Yes, and

YAWN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

My folks got married with strangers as witnesses and then acted as witnessed to those strangers. No-one else there but these four people who had just met. This wasn't an epic wedding but can I just say, this sounds like heaven. If I get married, I shall be following in my folks' footsteps. :) I HATE weddings, especially in Ireland. They are all SO cookiecutter. If I was to have some kind of gathering, my main interest would be in the food being excellent. THAT would be memorable. I'd buy a dress online. I'm so dayum fine, I'd look good in anything anyways! :pac::p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Polish weddings, I've been to a few now. The carnage is amazing.
    A bottle of vodka is allowed for every single guest, including children, altho they aren't allowed drink it. There are at least 7 meals duing the course of the whole day. Fantastic. Loads of games played and singing and mad craic altogether. Find some Polish person in your area and hire them to plan it.

Organised fun. Shudder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement