Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best kebab in Galway

Options
  • 22-01-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I'm heading to Galway early feb and would like to undo all the good work iv done this January with a big dirty kebab. So where is the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Prefer Capital Kebab on Eglinton St, they have homemade pitta not the frozen ones. Otherwise would be Charcoal, they are by miles the two best no matter what else is said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I would never buy a kebab in Galway, its worse than a cartel there running, they have the prices sky high and maintain them there.
    Go to any other City and the price of kebab is half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Chicken kebab in Charcoal is pretty hard to beat. Lots of sauce please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The kebabs from the Charcoal Grill are the dog's bollox albeit not literally. I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I would never buy a kebab in Galway, its worse than a cartel there running, they have the prices sky high and maintain them there.
    Go to any other City and the price of kebab is half the price.

Ohh yes there the oil equivilant to OPEC... The great kebab cartel, i can see Pak Kenny investigate that alright..

Charcoal grill does a decent kebab from what i can remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'd go for Super Bites, myself. Nice and fattening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Has anyone saying charcoal grill had a kebab in the day time? I wouldn't give it to a dog

Kebab house on dominick street is the only kebab I'd have in the daytime. Fresh charcoaled chicken tenders, delish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Yes I have/do its more expensive which is bull but it tastes exactly the same as in the evening,
    this is a city thread obv. but the 'Chile Kebab' house in Ballyhaunis is truly amazing kofte in a keema naan omg all homemade

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Caliden wrote: »
    Has anyone saying charcoal grill had a kebab in the day time? I wouldn't give it to a dog

Kebab house on dominick street is the only kebab I'd have in the daytime. Fresh charcoaled chicken tenders, delish
    Haha, was waiting for someone to mention that place, its muck, got one bout a year ago and it was inedible due to the lumps of crap that were supposed to be meat in it. Same night we ordered a battered sausage and a chicken fillet burger, burger was literally a deep fried frozen chicken burger!! And the sausage was 100% gone off. Wouldnt send my worst enemy in there. And ya Charcoal is no different during the day, maybe even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can we get back to the "best" places please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Capitol on Eglington Street are the best kebabs in town, by a long way.

Charcoal is, in my opinion, fairly poor.

Galway still doesn't have a great kebab place, Everytime I get one from King Kebab, Alkebabish or Kebabhouse in Athlone or Zaytoon in Dublin, I am reminded how poor and over priced Kebabs in Galway are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Kebabs in Galway are an obscene rip off. Nearly a tenner for what you'd get in England for about £4.

My experiences:
    Charcoal grill (one opposite La Salsa) - doner kebab and chips, was lovely but came after pints so they usually are!

Capital Kebab on Eglinton St - first visit was an absolute disaster, idiot behind the counter f***ed a load of garlic mayo all over it (asked if I "want sauce" and stuck that all over it when I said yes, before I had a chance to say "chilli sauce please"). Should have just made him make me a new one but thought it would be okay (it wasn't. who has mayo on a kebab? Disgusting.)

Second time I ordered off just-eat, so the simple instructions could be written down for the guy, and in fairness it was delicious. Got a mixed shish which came on a big naan bread, the chilli sauce was in a separate tub.

SuperBites next to Kellys - ordered a doner kebab with chilli sauce and salad using just-eat. Possibly the worst kebab I have ever seen in my life. Was basically a pitta bread with these long slivers of sweaty meat (I know doner isn't the best now, but this was worse than you'd expect), the 'chilli sauce' was some disgusting sweet and sour Chinese muck, nothing like any sauce served with a kebab. The 'salad' was literally just lettuce by itself.

Nicest kebab I've had in Galway was some place in Gort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Capital Kebabs for me.

Was a fan of charcoal for a long time, and still find them delicious. The freshly made pita and more generous portions in Captial Kebabs gives it the edge.
    Caliden wrote: »
    Has anyone saying charcoal grill had a kebab in the day time?

Yes, often, delicious!
    Shakti wrote: »
    Yes I have/do its more expensive which is bull but it tastes exactly the same as in the evening
    If you get a take-away it's the same price. They have waiting staff during the day and you get a proper plate, glass etc - hence the extra expense. For some of the menu items you get significantly more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Actually I had a bit of a Kebab week last week due to work nights out and have flavored them all I think lol
    To be honest the nicest one I've had is that Kebab place besides Kellys ?
    Can't remember what it's called but I got a mix kebab in there last Wednesday night and thought it was fantastic...so much so that I tried it again on Saturday night Yum Yum. Unlike Charcoal I was able to actually feel moisture in my mouth the morning after (not a dry salt ridden Charcoal ) Wont be using Charcoal again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Having lived in Galway for two years and having eaten probably around a hundred thousand kebabs, I can safely say it's the most disappointing city for a kebab.

I agree with JJ.

Anyone recommending Charcoal is probably smoking crack. I paid 9 quid for one in there before. I was thinking that it must be the biggest kebab I'll have ever gotten to charge that. I got it and it was one of the smallest ones I ever had,I was never more annoyed with myself.

The best of a bad bunch is Capitol. If you want a not very authentic kebab for 5.60 get Norio's, they have free delivery. Not traditional bread or thin meat, but it is rather fantastic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I got this badboy in London for £9
    http://3gp.ag/bab/1325194636318.jpg
    http://3gp.ag/bab/1325194808927.jpg

Photos don't even do it justice. I had to partially undress halfway through eating it, partly because I was sweating but mainly because I was so turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I got this badboy in London for £9
    http://3gp.ag/bab/1325194636318.jpg
    http://3gp.ag/bab/1325194808927.jpg

Photos don't even do it justice. I had to partially undress halfway through eating it, partly because I was sweating but mainly because I was so turned on.

I'd get banned if I was to share the things I'd do to that kebab.nyom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Aw yes. Drooling

Advertisement